PDA

View Full Version : Red Rose - Stippling

artdude
07-29-2001, 12:23 PM
Another one of my ink drawings using the "stippling" technique. Rendered on red construction paper. You can see the various value changes you can achieve using this method of inking. It scanned poorly. Sorry about that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2001/redrosecopy2.gif

Wyobud
07-29-2001, 12:35 PM
Nice one Dude........See what you've done. Now you have to get busy and keep the Forum active. It'll be fun.

Christie
07-29-2001, 01:17 PM
Nice work. How long have you been doing this kind of work? I would like to start doing stippling, but have no idea how to start.:)

What kind of pens do you use for this kind of work and how do you keep the ink from smearing (I seem to drag my hand through everything that I do)?

cuttlefish
07-29-2001, 04:05 PM
To prevent yourself from smearing your ink, you must find some way to keep your hand off your paper. You want to do this anyway since the oil from your skin will make the paper repel ink. There are a few ways to do this:
1. Keep a clean folded paper towel under your drawing hand at all times. this will still smear the ink if you move your hand from the spot without lifting it.
2. Make a fist of your off hand and put the folded paper towel under it. Rest the wrist of your drawing hand on your off hand.
3. Use an artist's bridge. A bridge is a miniature table made to elevate your hand off the art surface, and it serves as a straight edge for burshes and other things it's hard to use a ruler with.

Christie
07-29-2001, 04:25 PM
Thanks I will try out your suggestions. I suspect that the support will work best, but who knows. I will certainly have fun trying it out!

dupliKate
07-29-2001, 11:11 PM
How big is this Artdude? I am amazed at the range you are able to get. Was stippling the only technique here (it looks like the entire drawing is done that way)?

You must have the patience of Job! I said I was going to give it a try, and I haven't yet...now that I see how impressive the results can be I think I'll get myself moving.

Can you mix techniques in one drawing and have it look "together"?,...or should you stick with just one (ie stippling, or crosshatch etc).

:rolleyes: K

artdude
07-30-2001, 07:43 AM
Wyobud: Thanks :) I'll try to keep this forum as active as I can.

Christie: I have started with ink on and off for about a year and a half now. I wanted something to break up my graphite work. Since I am partially color blind I thought ink would be a great medium for me. I use Koh- I- Noor Tech Pens. The have a stainless steel nib and will last a very long time. They are also refillable. A good place to start is to do some small drawings. This is a VERY time consumming way to ink, so starting small will give you faster results for a finished piece.

cuttlefish: Great advice on how to keep from smearing your inks :)

dupliKate: This drawing is done on a 8 1/2" X 11" sheet and the whole drawing is done using the stippling technique. It took me about 40 hours to finish. You can mix techniques in a drawing as long as it has different textures to it. The rose is all one texture so I used just the stippling. If the rose had a stem and was in a vase then you could use different techniques to render the stem and vase.

THANKS to everyone for your response to my rose drawing :D It's great to see so much interest in this medium. We will surely learn something from everyone. Now grab those pens and ink away :clap:

mclaughlin
07-30-2001, 11:14 AM
How mystical...a black Rose. It is on H..l of a picture, Artdude.
And thanks again for all your efforts regarding the ink-forum.

Have a nice day
ML:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandi
07-31-2001, 12:11 PM
Beautiful. I wish I had even half your patience!

pencils4me
08-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Hello Artdude! This is one heck of a rose! Beautiful job!

Back when I only had 1 or 2 munchkins to spill my ink bottle I did some stippling. It was fun. Everyone should try it, it really does go faster than one would expect :)

Hey everybody here take a look at the animal and wildlife forum under my post "Toro" and go to the last post. Macped has attached a pen and ink drawing there for me to see. I think you will be amazed - well worth the jump. I asked her to post it here too, but just in case - go take a look!!

pencils4me (TJ)

RuthT
08-04-2001, 05:24 PM
What an absolutely gorgeous rose Artdude - "the patience of Job" came to my mind too.

Am just back from holiday at Bangor Lodge on Lake Muskoka and did a couple of sketches there. My scanner is on the blink, and my mouse keeps stalling so it may be a week before I can post and support the forum. NorahT may be posting one done on the same holiday. We both agree that we a very beginners in this medium, but feel we are improving a little. All the beautiful work and different styles I have seen on the pen and ink sites inspires me to keep trying :)

artdude
08-04-2001, 07:00 PM
Ruth, pencils4me, Sandi, mclaughlin Thank you ALL for the compliments :D Yes indeed... patience is something you need when it comes to rendering an ink drawing using stippling. I do find it relaxing though ;)

genearthur
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
:wave:

joatmon
07-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Very nice job...never would have thought to use red paper!:clap: Nice depth too. Beautiful.
I did a stippled rose once on white paper/black ink...it lives in my file of shame!

genearthur
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I thought this was worth a second (third, fourth, fifth...) look and sharing with others that might not go back and look... I'm glad I found it from so many years ago... Had I not gone all the way back several years I would not have found it! Thank you!