PDA

View Full Version : For those that sell oil paintings on ebay. . .

sheevuh
12-18-2003, 07:03 PM
roughly how long do you wait before you start selling them?

TIA,
Andrea

arteitaliana
12-18-2003, 08:11 PM
mine are dry and ready to go in 4 or 5 days.

R

ElizaLeahy
12-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Same here. I paint, the next morning I photograph and if everything is ok I list. The, by the time the 7 or 10 days of the auction is up, and then usually another 2 or 3 days for payment and postage, it's ready to go. Minimum time from finishing to posting works out at 11 days.

If you plan to list while they are wet (like I do) but offer a BIN option, you might want to mention the drying time.

TeAnne
12-18-2003, 09:18 PM
same. I list 10 auctions. They are dry by the time it comes to post.

Antoine
12-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I list about 3 days after Iím finished and varnish a day or two before the listing ends. (I havenít done BINís yet)

sheevuh
12-19-2003, 12:41 PM
thanks everyone for answering. Are there any mediums that you use to speed up drying time. I haven't painted in oils in quite some time an I noticed that there are a lot of new mediums out there now. Thanks again for all the help.

Andrea

laurali
12-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I wait at least a week before listing, then list for 10 days. Ideally, I like to wait 3 weeks and ship after a month, but I often don't have enough pieces ready to do that. The drying time can vary on the time of year. In summer, pieces dry more quickly. I have used quick-drying medium but I didn't like it.

It's important to wrap in non-stick paper (there are other threads on this). I use a glassine roll from dickblick.com, or parchment paper from the grocery store will work on small pieces.

Laura

Jholdren
12-19-2003, 01:16 PM
My oils are usually dry by the time my auction is over, but you can speed the drying time by using a medium called Liquin. I like the Windsor and Newton brand. When using this medium, my paintings are usually dry to the touch in one or two days unless I am painting really thick. Thanks!

Paintonbrush
12-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I also photo the next day, then list for 7-10 days. I paint with varnish. I use corner cardboard on the painting to keep anything from touching the painting while in shipment and include a note to let it air dry a few days before touching. I use Japan dryer also in my medium
Sometimes the red takes a lot longer to dry, especially since it is cold here.