PDA

View Full Version : Capturing A Creative Vision

ScottnATL
12-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi! I'm new to this forum, but I've got a questions for the many accomplished artists who post on here.

First, my artistic skills are limited. I can draw somewhat, and am working on getting better. Anyway, I have recently had a couple of pretty strong "artistic visions" (for lack of a better word.) They are pictoral images that I have in my mind, but I know that rendering the images in a graphic form (painting, drawing) is beyond my abilities at the moment.

I can see myself becoming obsessed with these images and working on them in various forms over the years, but never perfecting them as I "see" them in my mind.

Do any of you have images like this that inspire/obsess you?

judithj
12-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi Scott

That is an interesting question - I remember when I started making art, I would have these beautiful visions in my mind and I found my art would disappoint me.

My art process has changed - I really don't look for a perfect vision in my mind's eye any more - I find myself just open to what happens - I look for the vision in the paint (throw paint and see if it looks like something then make it into that something) -This way the physical materials are my co-creators. I find that my materials have to express themselves as much as my vision and my art is an attempt to celebrate them both.

This means that I need to accept what happens with my materials and my drawing and rendering ability - celebrate it for what is.

Although I do find that certain images come again and again. I think of them as inspirational friends and not as obsessions.

Warmest Regards, Judith

pampe
12-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Sounds like "passion" to me, not obsession

I'd say ..embrace the images and play with them...dance

diamondbird
12-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Fantastic!
to me, painting is a dance. Full of ryhthm and colour.
Scott why not grab a large sheet of paper, some colourful crayons, and then put on a favourite music CD. then put the music on, grab a crayon in each hand! and just follow the rhythm of the music, and dance colourfully on your page, making wonderful and spontaneous colours, and patterns for about 5-10 minutes. you can do about two or thee at a dance!
when the music is finished, look lng and hard at your peices of paper from angles, to see what is revealed!
You might be surprised.
:clap:

Keith Russell
12-22-2003, 10:48 AM
I've had many images in my mind over the years, which have often been beyond my drawing and/or painting abilities.

I have worked to develop my memory, and I can remember these images for years, and--so far--I've been able, eventually, to complete paintings that come close to the original 'visions'.

The images that my mind conjures now, are still beyond my drawing and/or painting abilities, so I know I'll have to continue working over the next few months/years (decades?) before I'm able to do them justice.

Paitence is difficult for me, but I find it's necessary...

K

pampe
12-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Keith

do you have sketches....reminders? or is it all memory?

O'Connor
12-22-2003, 03:54 PM
I have several incredible visions that haunt me!

I simply try to get them out, over and over. I paint them even though I can't produce the painting I see in my mind's eye.

I'd call it motivation, a goal.

When I start with a blank canvas and paint my vision perfectly, I'll know I'm already dead.

diamondbird
12-22-2003, 07:36 PM
yes.... there's nothing like a bit of practice in art!!

However as one who sought for years myself to express my visions.....

Over the years I became aware that many strongly visionary artists throughout time ranging from Leonardo Da Vinci (who recommended concentrating on random paint patches and cracks on the walls), to William Blake and beyond him many visionary painters into the twentieth century, who have all used methods of chance and accident to pin point their visions.

I used to teach the above method to adults very succesfully in London. it is one of the many ways of opening the inner eye in order to express your own vision in future paintings

It's amazing what you can discover in pure chance. Especially one drawn to your own rhythms.

gillyvu
12-23-2003, 11:02 PM
I have them all the time, they are often forgotten or rejected though after a few weeks of obssesing(in my case the ebst word to decribe it). But, there is this one, I have no sketches(I usually plan out the entire picture with thumbnails, and writing before never really doing with it, but stored I have many ideas for what I've always wanted to do), and for two, three years the picture is in my mind, just waiting to be expressed in a form of art. I hardly ever think about it anymore but every once in a while I do, and slowly I am figuring out how I am going to go about and making it real.

ArtistGary
12-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Yes, I have those 'visions' on occasion. I always try to write the original concept down ASAP, and that has helped me to retain and develop them. Otherwise they will surely be forgotten/replaced.

I just started sculpting one of those ideas. I wrote it down and named it a couple of months ago (Divine Offering). It sat at that stage while I completed two other projects. Last week I started sketching thumbnails, and this week I have formed the armature. During this holiday season I hope to make the time to use clay for the 'rough draft'. Then I'll work it further.

The point is that I had that moment of epiphany months ago, when the vision of it just filled my mind. Now I am very excited to begin the hands-on sculpting process, to discover how the creative vision will take shape.

Happy holidays to all!
Gary

shieldmaidens_curse
12-26-2003, 09:36 PM
A scupltor told me that he doesn't carve an object, he uncovers it from a prison of solidity. Basically he doesn't make something, it makes itself.

Keith Russell
12-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pampe
Keith

do you have sketches....reminders? or is it all memory?

I rarely do sketches before I'm ready to begin. Usually, the titles of these 'visions' suggest themselves rather soon after I have the intial image clearly in mind. (Sometimes, the images appear all at once--in a dream, of half-waking state, perhaps--or, they might be developed, coaxed, from several fragments.

Still, once I know the title of the image, I write that down, and that helps keep the image fixed in memory...)

K

ArtistGary
12-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Well said, Keith. You described my process better than I could.

Keith Russell
12-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Wow!

Thanks, Gary...

K

pampe
12-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Keith Russell

I rarely do sketches before I'm ready to begin. Usually, the titles of these 'visions' suggest themselves rather soon after I have the intial image clearly in mind. (Sometimes, the images appear all at once--in a dream, of half-waking state, perhaps--or, they might be developed, coaxed, from several fragments.

Still, once I know the title of the image, I write that down, and that helps keep the image fixed in memory...)

K

I used to have an incrediblly lively dream life...(when I was younger)., kept a journal and all.

I wish the process you described worked for me.

I struggle endlessly for each piece...it never flows...it never comes in a vision or thought.

It is more like pregnancy and LABOR to get an idea.....:confused:

Keith Russell
12-28-2003, 10:40 PM
pampe, the ideas are--for me--relatively easy.

It's getting them from the 'idea' stage, to the finished painting, that requires tremendous effort.

K

AmyLeAnn
12-30-2003, 11:48 AM
I think it is a wonderful thing just to be able to compose images in your head. That's the first step, and once you have those you can get to the fun part. Just play with the images and maybe try using some different types of media. It may not be perfection, but just let things happen when you are working on them and I bet you will have such a wonderful time that it won't matter anymore that they aren't perfect; they'll be beautiful anyway!!!:) :) :)

diamondbird
12-30-2003, 06:59 PM
The more that I try to paint my images of dreams that always revolve around flight....then the more abstract they become...
I find it a constant battle to keep some resemblence to the original image....so that other people can get a sense of what I'm painting....
Like a battle between sea tides and the sands of the shore... to get the sense and feeling... and yet yet not be like a static photogragh..

Keith Russell
12-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by AmyLeAnn
I think it is a wonderful thing just to be able to compose images in your head. That's the first step, and once you have those you can get to the fun part. Just play with the images and maybe try using some different types of media.

Well, that's sort of what I do. I do a great deal of composing in my head, but things still change radically once they get to the paper. I don't vary the media, though I experiment greatly within the media and basic techniques I've chosen...

It may not be perfection, but just let things happen when you are working on them and I bet you will have such a wonderful time that it won't matter anymore that they aren't perfect; they'll be beautiful anyway!

That would be nice...but, no.

Alas...

K

JoyJoyJoy
01-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Scott...

Your questions remind me of the story of Georgia O'Keefe. After she had finished her art education, her second job was as a teacher. In her biographies, she speaks of going back to her rented room after a day teaching, spreading out all the artworks she had done during her life... and seeing in each the style or vision of each classroom teacher who taught her. So, she resolved to spend her time putting down, just in black and white drawings, the visions and thoughts that had always been in her head... the first truly original works she ever did.

Long story short... those simple, personal drawings ended up (without her knowledge or permission) on the gallery walls of a major New York gallery, owned by Steiglitz. The rest is history. The many oil paintings we now think of as "O'Keefe" repeat, over and over, the shapes, images, and compositions in those drawings.

Hold on to your visions. Work on them, create with them. In time, your artistic skills (drawing, painting, etc) will catch up with your visions. I think that, given enough time and practice, anyone can learn the technical art skills... but, not everyone has the creative visions to produce original work. So, your visions are a creative blessing.

Nance

ScottnATL
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Wow. Some great replies and perspectives on here everybody. Thanks. :) Joy, I love Georgia O'Keefe. Thanks for the story.

SilverLiner
01-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Wonderful and interesting thread to read :)
I've been recently trying to get images from my mind onto paper with great difficulty. I can never get the angle right nor the detail. Last night I had a dream of being in an enchanted forest, making my way down a foot path into a stream. It was all misty but shining through was this gorgeous white piano just by the tree trunk. I started playing some classical pieces on it and these fairies started appearing and dancing. I can see the image so clearly in my mind but as soon as I try to draw it down it goes all pear shaped. I'm new to this so I wanted to ask how you get from the basic idea (a very rough sketch when you wake up) to a final piece. Do you find reference pictures and combine them with the mental image to come up with something more believable?

msue
01-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Great additional question Silverliner. I came to this forum looking for this very thread (didn't know if it existed). I don't often pursue my visions because I assume I can't do it, but a couple weeks ago I saw something in the reflection on the Chalice at church (I've often studied the reflections in metal and glass and try to figure out how it would be painted) that grabbed me and I have worked on three sketches trying to capture this moment in time. I understand the theories of painting reflective objects, but inventing them with only a flash in the mind hasn't worked (to my satisfaction). I'm further inspired to keep trying on this project. I've sketched with Conte' pencils on newsprint, traced part of the design from this sketch onto layout tissue paper trying to perfect my shapes, and sketched with watercolor crayons (partially just to get a feel for the crayons :( --need much more practice with those) and now am pondering an attempt in acrylics. I've never been one to have interest in doing the same thing multiple times, but this is the second project I've explored in various mediums. The first worked in all that I used so maybe I'll hit on the right one for this vision. Some times we surprise ourselves :D

Sorry Scott, I didn't address your original question at all. I'm just glad you posted it to help all of us who had the same question. I have doodled portions of ideas in my sketch books and sometimes those turn into a painting or even a springboard for some other expression of the vision. Even the one vision that wasn't as technically appealing was cathrac (sp) to put on paper.

adamjw
05-14-2004, 02:46 PM
I've had almost movie like dreams that I really want to bring
to canvas or turn into 3d animations! Some of them are very
captivating! They probably come from all the computer games
I used to play. :D ha ha ha

A few times Iíve envisioned an object in my mind that kept reoccurring
with strong feelings and colour and made me want to paint it. Some
turn out really nice! I should post them sometime.

Anyone else have similar experiences in creating artwork?

I always use references and do studies first, and then they
still donít turn out right. :(

But most often, I get to my canvass and I just canít think of anything
to paint so I just leave again :(
Creative block is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And so is lack of motivation!!!!!
How do you overcome it?? :confused:

Keith Russell
05-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Do you find reference pictures and combine them with the mental image to come up with something more believable?

Yes!

(And, not only reference photos, but actual references, too!)

Why not visit a piano store, and see if they'll let you sketch there, or visit a school or a church, and see if they'd let you sketch one of their pianos, 'after hours', maybe...

K

Printmakerguy
05-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Most of my images come from a 'vision' of one kind or another- Sometimes in a dream, sometimes just as I am driving down the road... I never know when inspiration will strike me... For that reason, I always try to have a sketchbook handy, I do a quick drawing to capture the 'feel' of the vision.

I have an odd mind, I will admit... Most of my artwork is somewhat abstract or surreal, depending on the day and my mood. Some of the visions are VERY strange, I am often afraid that if I ever let anyone know where my images come from I would be locked up in the loony bin...

adamjw
05-15-2004, 02:09 PM
It's a good plan to carry an ideas sketch book around with
you everywhere. I'm just starting to realize that. Now one of
my sketchbooks is just for carrying around just incase I have
a good idea or see something interesting I want to capture.

LJSoroka
05-23-2004, 02:07 AM
I too get alot of visions and when I can't get them out of my head, I paint them. Right now I'm working on a dream series of oil paintings.

I know they are not exactly as my vision, but I feel the vision is just my inspiration to the finished pc of work.
sometimes I get a whole movie going in my head and sometimes it's just like someone took a still shot of a dream. Either way I do paint them if I can't get them out of my head.

I'm sure that's just part of the creative sub-conscious mind working with you to create what needs to be done by you.

Blessings
Linda

yogi
05-31-2004, 05:10 PM
O'Connor said, "When I start with a blank canvas and paint my vision perfectly, I'll know I'm already dead."

I have all kinds of visions in my head. I've written down the gist of 3/4 of them and sketched the other 1/4 so I don't forget them. I'm a writer, so writing the ideas with descriptive language usually helps me recall the original image I saw in my head. I've got a good 20 pages of descriptions and a 1/2" pile of sketches. Now, will there be enough lifetime to communicate them all artistically? :)

It is sometimes very frustrating not to reach, in my artwork, the quality of imagery I see in my vision. However, O'Connor's sentence here helps me not to overthink that. Just have fun.