PDA

View Full Version : Ebay: Oilpaintings and varnishing

lapis lazuli
12-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Hello,

I am new here, so maybe there is a thread about this subject already.

Currently I am working on oil-paintings that I want to sell on Ebay. But I feel awkward about varnishing the paintings. I can put a retouching-varnish layer on the painting, but the final varnish would have to be applied long after the painting is sold. Can I give the potential buyer instructions to have it varnished by a professional after they have bought it?

How do you do that when you sell an oil-painting on Ebay?

(I know I could use acrylic paint but I prefer to work in oils.)

JoyJoyJoy
12-18-2003, 09:17 AM
I have asked myself the same questions, and decided:

I don't think that eBay art customers, in general, are concerned with such quality considerations as a final varnish on their oil paintings. My guess that anyone that looking for that kind of quality in purchased artwork would not be buying it from unknown (or relatively unknown) artists over the internet (where pics are so bad), but be looking in good galleries. The eBay buyer (my opinion) is often looking for just nice artworks for reasonable prices... maybe something they can hang in their living room for a few years.

I just put a nice coat of re-touch on to bring up the colors of the oil painting.

Nance

Antoine
12-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I do put a layer of mat varnish over it. Iím regularly vanishing my big gallery paintings, so itís not much extra for me to slip in the few little ebay ones. If you decide to varnish it or not, my opinion is not to suggest the buyer to do it or have it done. The average buyer want to buy, hang and be done with and the suggestion of extra work might put them off.