PDA

View Full Version : ebay uk sellers

jolie
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
hi fellow uk sellers,

because the art categories aren't as developed as in the usa (although they are getting there), i thought it might be valuable to brainstorm with other ebay uk sellers. there is a lot of art now, so lots of people are looking, but there isn't the huge competition yet, or the loads of imported junk either. i think now is a great time to really be jumping in, as we are coming in on the ground floor and can set the tone.

while i have found all the advice in this forum to be extremely valuable, i think ebay uk works a little differently and it would be beneficial for uk sellers to do some seperate brainstorming too. perhaps we could set up a chat in one of the wetcanvas chatrooms to get together and discuss ebay uk strategies, ways to band together for more attention (beyond using 4wc in search terms), trends we've noticed or share research, etc.

let me know what you all think! feel free to pm me or post your thoughts and available days/times for a chat here.

thanks,
jolie

madmum
12-18-2003, 02:59 AM
Sounds like a good idea! It would be wonderful if we could start a trend of realistic prices for art on ebay UK. Let me get back to you with a day/time when I'm available - probably after Christmas as I'm going to be run off my feet for a while! lol

Ruth

matmad
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
I agree that ebay uk is different from the US site, and that developing strategies specifically geared towards the UK site is a great idea.

I'm in the same boat as Ruth though. Need to stop everthing until Christmas is over - otherwise my kids won't be having a Christmas this year!

Count me in.

Julie

jolie
12-18-2003, 01:12 PM
ok guys, fair enough. come to think of it, i have plenty left to get done too! LOL let's re-visit this idea after christmas then. if you happen to run into any other uk sellers between now and then, could you point them in this direction, please?

happy holidays!
jolie

madmum
12-31-2003, 02:54 PM
I've made a start! I opened a shop today! Now I need to fill it with work!!!! :eek: I have also extended my selling range to include Australasia :D

Ruth

jolie
12-31-2003, 07:57 PM
I've had mine for a while, but have yet to take advantage of it. I just can't seem to get my thinking straight! I was going to use my holiday time off to really get going...paint like mad, list in my store, photograph work, and get listings ready for auction in January. So far I haven't done a whole lot...Well, I did decide to spent some money on a new camera for better pictures of my artwork. Does that count as getting somewhere? LOL

Jolie

gails_galleryUK
01-06-2004, 07:11 PM
I have been listing on the UK site for over 2 years now and recently the contemporary art section has become SWAMPED with sets of three 'canvasses' *printed* ... they're not originals ... they are printed onto mounted canvasses ... with sunrises / sunsets / zebra skins / stripes / water / any image split into three! etc etc etc and it really Ts me off.

I think eBay UK could benefit from having an *original* art category where *real* artists, for want of a better term can list without getting swamped by these mass produced items passed off as 'contemporary art'.

Personally I think these pieces should be listed under home furnishings or sommat - they are certainly not original art ... not in my book anyway. Or even prints! The contemporary art section seems awash with these things. One particular seller has 350 of these sets of three listed at the moment .... all the same style.

Rant rant rant.

Gail