PDA

View Full Version : Large paper support?

Tap
12-17-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm trying to figure out what I can use for a paper support for a full-sized sheets of Canson's or watercolor paper... I have this painting I want to do but I can't figure out something large enough, light enough and inexpensive enough to hold the paper to do larger paintings...

I know the challenge would be to do a smaller painting, but I really want to do this painting in a larger format... I may be sorry once I start it. But I already tried to do it on 11x15 and there's not enough room for both the bull AND the cowboy... As much as I like cowboys, you'd think I could fit him on that bulls back, but the bull always gets more than his share of the paper. :D

Tap ;~D

SweetBabyJ
12-17-2003, 10:44 PM
I got a sheet of corrugated plastic (it's called something else in art supply stores) about 3.5' x 4'- it's light, sturdy, and I can still balance it on my tabletop easel. It's the same stuff they make real estate signs out of- works pretty well, cost me about $4.00 or so.

Tap
12-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Thank you, Sweet Baby J... That sounds perfect... What store did you get yours at? I haven't been able to find an art supply store in Montana. I hear there is one in Billings, which is 270 miles east of here.

I'll look when I'm back east and see if I can find the same thing and maybe I can get it mailed/shipped back here. No way that will go on the plane with me. LOL

Tap ;~D

Kathryn Wilson
12-17-2003, 11:58 PM
My favorite board turned out to be a very large bulletin board I was no longer using. I just tack on the paper without the bother of tape and the cork gives just a little bit.

You could also use a large piece of foam core.

Tap
12-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Ooooo, I like the idea of the bulletin board.

And the foam core. I wonder where I can get that in a large enough piece. I'm going to have to look at Michaels on Monday. I've got time to kill before my flight out on Tuesday afternoon.

Thank you, Kat.

Tap ;~D

jackiesimmonds
12-18-2003, 04:13 AM
Fome Core weighs so little, why not order a couple of sheets mail order, the postage would be minimal.

The alternative is a large piece of thinner plywood - you MUST have lumber yards in your area! anyway, weight doesn't matter if you aren't going to lug it about the place. I keep one heavy wooden board at home, to use for large paintings. The heavy boards are best, they dont warp.

J

sdkeene
12-18-2003, 05:46 AM
Hey Tap.

That's one of the hazards of living in Montana. Lots of Feed stores and farm supply stores but not much in the way of art supplies. :D

However, to reiterate what Jackie said, you must have a lumber or hardware store nearby. Most of them have good large remnants that you can purchase for minimal cost (usually a h**l of a lot cheaper than the equivalent board at an art supply store). I have a really nice 4' x 6' sheet of walnut that I purchased at a lumber store here in Portland for chump change because it had a flaw in it. I sanded it and varnished it and it is the best art board I have ever owned. I use it mostly for stretching watercolor paper. you could sink it to the bottom of the sea and it wouldn't warp.

Otherwise, if you're looking for something to "lug about the place" as they say in the UK (or "drag along with ya" as they say in some parts of Montana :D ) look for a good piece of masonite.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Shane

Kathryn Wilson
12-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Yeah, for lugging around I have several of the art boards that are made out of masonite with built in clips and a handle hole in the top. They come in several sizes and are fairly inexpensive.

The last time I looked in JerrysArtarama they were something like $10-12.00 for the larger one - it holds a full sheet of Art Spectrum. I have asked Santa for the smaller one - it looks like a good plein air jobber-do.

Have a safe trip!

Tap
12-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Thank you, Jackie, Shane & Kat.

Yup, Jackie, we do have lumber yards. Two of them, 2 pharmacies, 2 grocery stores, 2 little department stores, 1 book store, a small "hospital" that never has more than 3 patients staying overnight, 4 feed stores, 5 gas stations, 23 restaurants, and 36 bars, taverns, saloons or pubs. All for a town of 3500. But you can't buy underwear in this town!!! LOL...

The 1st thing I learned here was that you order most everything you need from a catalog, make lists for when you go to a bigger city, and you ask friends and neighbors if they need anything since you are going.

I have a couple of the artboards with the clips and handles but nothing big enough for a whole sheet of any paper. I'll go online and check what I can get and check the lumber yard. I got rid of my little car and got a 4x4 Chevy Blazer so I can haul stuff and get out to paint when the roads are covered in snow...

Oh and that's the other thing... only the interstate and the main streets are paved... the rest are dirt and gravel. But we have some of the most awesome sunrises and sunsets and scenery for an artist. I've got to find a scanner so I can show you all some of the sunsets.

Thank you all for your help. I've thought of the plywood, but I worried about lugging it around and how to prop it up.

Tap ;~D

bnoonan
12-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi Tap = just one more thought.

I too use Foam Core and it works great. Most of it comes from a recycling station in the city where they take foam core panels from presenters for companies. Cheap and I feel good about recycling - bet the bars and restaurants don't have much presentation though.

One thought on foam core is that if the board has any dings or impressions (ie it got banged or squased in any place where you are going to put the paper over it), it effects the ability to lay the color in smoothly. Make sure it makes it through the postage in mint condition.

Barb (MT is one of the most magnificent places in this country!!!)
:D

SweetBabyJ
12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
That's why I use corrugated plastic- it takes a lot of abuse. It's made just like corrugated cardboard: two thin layers of plastic sandwiching a zig-zag honeycomb of thin plastic- I've found it in home improvement stores, hobby shops, sign painters workshops and just recently in my favorite art supple store. It tapes, tacks and refuses to bend or crease- my kinda support. It's feather-lite, like foamcore, but much sturdier.

DFGray
12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Hi
I have found doorskin to be the best support for pastels,
I make a box out of two pieces of doorskin with 1/2 inch cedar strips in between
I have about 6 in my studio for different sizes of paper, up to 36 x 42"
It has a give like a streched canvas
regards
Dan

Tap
12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi Dan,

Thank you. This sounds like another great idea. It would be light and sturdy. I'll have to hit the lumber yard to see what I can get.

Tap ;~D

tjnichols
04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I don't have any paper solutions, but I am happy to see another Montana on here. I have just discovered this website and quite frankly spending too much time on it.

I too, have troubles finding art supplies. I also enjoy using pastels as my medium. I am interested in trying oil though.

My subject matter is usually Native Americans and Cowboys.
I make my boys pose for me.

hope to chat more

Khadres
04-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't have any paper solutions, but I am happy to see another Montana on here. I have just discovered this website and quite frankly spending too much time on it.

I too, have troubles finding art supplies. I also enjoy using pastels as my medium. I am interested in trying oil though.

My subject matter is usually Native Americans and Cowboys.
I make my boys pose for me.

hope to chat more

Your best bet for art supplies is online ordering. Even though I live in a relatively large town, finding the "good stuff" isn't easy and even when I do, it's much more expensive.

If you haven't tried these, check out:

http://www.dickblick.com
http://www.jerrysartarama.com
http://www.dakotapastels.com
http://www.aswexpress.com
http://www.currys.com (this one's in Canada, but they sell with a 40% discount to US customers and usually there's no shipping fee!)

My best luck with these has been dick blick and dakota and currys. The others are usually very good too, but sometimes they get things a bit messed up...tho they always make it good eventually.

I started with Blick's...they've been unfailingly prompt and their stuff always arrives in perfect order, plus they are one of our WC! sponsors, as well! Try there first.

As to a drawing board in the meantime, Michael's should have large sheets of foamcore in different thicknesses and I never have had a problem with it as a support. Foamcore has the "plus" of being a bit cushiony on its own, too, which is great for pastelling.

Good luck!

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I use foam core, 1/2" thick is nice.

I'm trying to figure out what I can use for a paper support for a full-sized sheets of Canson's or watercolor paper... I have this painting I want to do but I can't figure out something large enough, light enough and inexpensive enough to hold the paper to do larger paintings...

I know the challenge would be to do a smaller painting, but I really want to do this painting in a larger format... I may be sorry once I start it. But I already tried to do it on 11x15 and there's not enough room for both the bull AND the cowboy... As much as I like cowboys, you'd think I could fit him on that bulls back, but the bull always gets more than his share of the paper. :D

Tap ;~D