PDA

View Full Version : Motueka river bank ,en pleine aire

billyg
07-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Another 8X10 oil en pleine aire from an elevated spot at what was a local eaterie, now an Americans summer home, ( the place is becoming full of them).LOL.
Just looking at it and bearing in mind Larrys comments on my last effort, I see a million ways to improve what I have done.In this I mean that I have not represented the scene as I should have, not giving myself enough reference for future work should I wish to take this further. Keen observation of what is here is what I like many others lack, and I must learn to take more time to look and SEE before I put marker or whatever to sketchpad or board.Colour compliments and contrasts along with Hughs famous darks and shapes , these are a need for all of us great and small to absorb and note,physically and mentally.
Enjoy anyway.
Billyg :D:D:D:D
ps Hugh, I have a sketch for a wc im going to develop later. Watch this space LOL.

sandge
07-28-2001, 09:45 PM
Hi Billyg!
It looks like you are thinking of the landscape as a collection of separate objects - sky, hill, tree, shrub, water - each of which receive separate treatment.

Next time, instead of seeing trees, sky, grass, etc., look for patches of light, shadow, colour throughout the painting. For example, you have used a dark green onthe shrub on the right below the tree - could you have used that anywhere else in the painting such as the shrub on the bottom left, shadows in the foreground grass or perhaps a paler version of the colour in the trees in the middle ground. Repeated colour and tone will link different objects and give a sense of unity to the painting.

Keep up the good work. :)

brendahofreiter
07-29-2001, 12:11 AM
Hey Billy! Don't be so negative about your work. We all have room to grow. You are out there working and that is a victory! I like the composition of your piece and if you were there, then you have retained memory that you can use to work on it. Everytime you venture out, you are storing visual memory about the colors of the world and how the light changes things as it moves. It may take awhile to get all of that down on your canvas and every painting is a step in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

Brenda

LarrySeiler
07-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Hey Billy....I second Brenda's admonitions! It takes doing lots of art....good and bad, to weed out the stuff along the way, and end up making great art. The main thing is...you have embraced the conflict and prove yourself to be in the thick of it all! Kudos!

Sandra made some good comments here....

Just think of WC here as the Yellow Brick House that Van Gogh never really got to see come together as the artist's community he had longed for. We're all in this together...pushing each other to paint and keep working! You'll get it. You are getting it!

Larry

Leaflin
07-29-2001, 03:22 PM
Hey Billyg
Are you sure you didn't sneak up to Virginia and paint this!
Those distant Mountains look just like the Blue Ridge.
I like the overall composition.

taghera
07-29-2001, 05:11 PM
Keep going Billy, your heading in the right direction, hurry up and do the wc now, you hear!!!!! :clap: :clap: :D :D

blondheim12
07-29-2001, 10:31 PM
Hi Billy,
This painting has a lovely, illustrative style. I really like your composition.
Keep showing us your wonderful paintings.
linda

billyg
08-03-2001, 03:01 AM
Dont know if I made the individual situation better or worse LOL. Sorry Brenda.Still its good fun trying is it not.The weekend is upon us:- Fill up the paint box and Tally Ho !!!!.
Billyg :D:D:D:D