PDA

View Full Version : pipes(adults only)

dean_harryman
12-16-2003, 10:41 PM
so does anyone ever show glass pipes, I would be interested in seeing some of your guys's pipes......if you have any........I dont know if we can show those......but we can try......Ill put up a pic of mine.............
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/6370-Mvc-019s.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/6370-Mvc-018s.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/6370-Mvc-020s.jpg

ValorieCox
12-16-2003, 11:19 PM
All of the glass arts are welcome here. Thanks for sharing, lovely work!

Val

PolychromeBeads
12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Nice, Dean!

I have seen some awesome work done by glass pipe artists - I can't imagine every dirtying them up by actually smoking with them!

Aimee

loydb
12-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Here's one I did for a christmas present for a friend's wife.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/20002-llan_top.jpg

The marble is a small purple implosion flower.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/20002-llan_marble.jpg

craftylady
12-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Nice pipes! Can you make a pipe out of morreti?

Vickie Lee
12-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Not sure if you know of www.glasspipes.org ..??? Lots of pipemakers there who show their work.

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:05 AM
It is not dirtying them up, it is impressing them with resin, just jokin, there is nothing like using a pipe for the first time, I dont really blow galss alot, and actually I suck at it, but my friend made this one.......I like it, I think he said it is called double inside-out fumed color-changing glass...........

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:09 AM
I would like to learn more, but no one wants to teach me, I have no idea where people learn how to do this, I cant find any info anywhere........I think it would be so great to be able to make intricate pipes of all shapes and styles.........I think they are so beautiful......even if what they are mostly used for is illegal...hehehehehe.........well anyways, I would love to see some more of your guys work, I love to see cool and original pipes...... My favorite kind is hammers, but sidecars are cool to, and then again the basic spoon is a joy.......

loydb
12-17-2003, 01:11 AM
I think, in theory, you could do one with moretti, but in practice it would be tricky.

The color-changing glass is a myth -- the only thing that causes color change is the buildup of smoke residue inside the pipe. The silver or gold fuming shifts colors sort of like dichroic glass does as the residue builds up.

loyd

loydb
12-17-2003, 01:12 AM
There are some amazing pieces at glasspipes.org. As for learning, pick up a video and a bunch of boro. Go nuts. Expect the first 20 you make to suck, at a minimum.

loyd

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:12 AM
that is why the true beauty is not seen until the pipe has been fully "used"

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:13 AM
what is boro????

loydb
12-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Borosilicate glass (ala Pyrex). Much less likely to thermal shock than soft glass (moretti, bullseye, etc.) It requires a higher working temperature than soft glass, and is much more expensive.

Loyd

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:16 AM
what materials would I need to get started????? like a torch, and glass........but what kind, and where can I get it????? I have no idea how to do any of this........but I am sereously interested

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 01:17 AM
you guys should see this pipe after it has been thorouly cleaned, it is almost clear, then after about 3 "uses' it is more vibrant in color than ever........

Vickie Lee
12-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Dean....
First of all if you are interested in pipes, you would have better results getting information at the pipemakers forum, also known as the lampworkers discussion group. Alot of information on lampworking, and pipes. But mostly they use the type of equipment and glass suited to pipes which is borosilicate. Who to learn from would depend on where you are located, and what you are able to afford. Bear in mind that the pipe industry took a change on black Monday in February, and even though folks are still making pipes, the industry has changed a bit. If you are really interested then go to the forum and start reading. Everything you need to know can be found online, the supplies, the teachers, etc.
And lots of folks that can answer your specific questions.
Good luck,
Vickie
http://pub109.ezboard.com/bartglasspipemakers

Christopher Rice
12-17-2003, 08:38 AM
I used to make quite a few of them, but since the gov't stepped in in Feb, I have backed off quite a bit. Just didn't want to find myself stuck and not be able to blow glass. Love it to much. Here's a link to some stuff I made.

http://www.glasspipes.org/Gal60_Pans_Gallery.asp

If you want more info, and people to talk to about it, check out this forum.

http://pub109.ezboard.com/bartglasspipemakers

You'll have to sign up for an account in order to check out the forum. Happy holidays!
-pan

Mark Wilson
12-17-2003, 09:12 AM
no disrespect intended, but don't waste your time making pipes. make something beautiful or useful. these pipes have one purpose, to use drugs. not only that, when you use them, the pipes will get ugly with all sorts of residue.
make a marble, or a paperweight, or some beads.

just say no to pipes!!!!!

AMR GlassWorks
12-17-2003, 09:39 AM
I would think or hope that some people still smoke legal tobacco in them if they have to smoke at all! :rolleyes: My grandpa smoked a pipe for years!

Christopher Rice
12-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Okay, I am not trying to start something, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think that making pipes is a waste of time, they are both useful, and some are even beautiful. And not all pipes are used for smoking drugs. I know many people who collect them as works of art, and never even touch them or use drugs. People spent mad loot on them. It's also a way to make a living at glassblowing while teaching yourself many aspects of glass. A way to support yourself while you learn what you love. I have learned so much from making them, I would never be at the level I am at, nor know who I know if I had not gone through the process. Pipemakers are pushing the glass movement way beyond it's limits and coming up with new styles and patterns that blow my mind. I don't think we would have as many torches, tools, colors, and glass if it wasn't for the sudden burst in the pipe industry. Many of us aren't afraid to share techniques and collaborate with others, always coming up with new ideas. I could go on and on, but basically all I'm saying is please don't knock it.
-pan

GinnyHampton
12-17-2003, 10:25 AM
HA! This is funny. Now if someone had come along and said "don't waste your time on beads . . . make something beautiful and useful" everybody would get their panties in a wad and hammer the crap out of that person saying that beads ARE beautiful and useful. Why would pipes be any different. Beauty has different definitions to different people. Take a look at Pan's pipe link . . . . nobody that actually has eyesight can argue that those aren't absolutely beautiful. If I had the pink and yellow pipe, it's "usefulness" to me would be that I would put it somewhere to look at and admire. I may not "use" it in the way it was intended, but I would use it as a source of beauty and inspiration.

Jennifer Geldard
12-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Thank you Ginny and Chris... well said.

swamperfolk
12-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah, what Ginny said ....... I think the pipes are beautiful.....Who would pay the outrageous prices for some of those pipes and get them dirty - it's a work of art. Nobody said "don't waste you time making those dildos - nobody would use them."

HAHAHAHA, yeah, right. Works of Art

Molten Mike
12-17-2003, 11:03 AM
NO you can not make pipes out of soft if they are going to be used. The first time you light it, it will probably thermal and break.

As for wasting your time, why melt glass at all it's all a waste of time,.... oh yea unless you have a PASSION for it! And as for the legality of it, DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

NewCreation
12-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Believe it or not we actually got into the "should we legalize it" discussion in the adult Sunday school class I teach a couple of weeks ago. People who know what my faith convictions are might be surprised to hear my thoughts in this area. BUT..... I won't get that started here.
I will say that the pipes are indeed beautiful as art objects. I just am curious if people really do smoke tobacco in them.
I will never make pipes myself, but I like to look at them and see the stretches that the blowers are making with the glass. It spurs my imagination.:D

ValorieCox
12-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Please keep this thread on topic, or it will be closed. This is a showcase thread, and Dean is 'showcasing' his glass artwork. If you want an ethical debate on the purpose and use of his art, take it somewhere else please.

Valorie

loydb
12-17-2003, 01:33 PM
A mind is like an umbrella -- it only works if it's open.

loyd

bikersatlarge
12-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Dean there are some great vidios out there just look around and as for learning form some one ask around where your at i have been working hot glass off and on for the last 10 yrs i have no problem showing new people how to make a pipe...This is just the start of a new love that costs a lot of money with time if you are close to chicago drop me a line Jeff

swamperfolk
12-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Did I say the pipes were Beautiful?

Thanks Val for allowing the pipes to be displayed here.

Art is art. Functional or not.

dean_harryman
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I would like to thank everyone for there input, and I would like to give a round of applause to the wetcanvas.com staff for allowing a discussion of this nature, and as swamperfolk said, art is art, and all of you here are great. I jut would like to thank all who made suggestions, whether anti or pro pipe they are. and yes I believe pipes are both beautiful and functional. I cant see anyone using the elaborate and intricate pipes, but face it they do have a purpous......whether it be tobacco or marijuana.........and yes I do know people that use them only for tobacco, but they do not use the same pipe for them......yuck.........tastes bad........I would love it if we could keep this thread alive, it would be nice to have such an educational discussion available to people like me, because it is hard to find any good, and trustworthy information on the Internet nowadays...........peace out, until later anyways........

Kalera
12-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by loydb
I think, in theory, you could do one with moretti, but in practice it would be tricky.

The color-changing glass is a myth -- the only thing that causes color change is the buildup of smoke residue inside the pipe. The silver or gold fuming shifts colors sort of like dichroic glass does as the residue builds up.

loyd

There are no color-shifting boros? I'm surprised - for some reason it never occurred to me that there wouldn't be a possibility for boro that exists for soda-lime! Is the chemistry of the glass simply such that the minerals that give, say, Bullseye's casting colors their color-shifting properties don't work in boro? I have several different sample blocks of the three Bullseye shift glasses, they're beautiful. I've always wanted to do something larger with them, especially the pink/green.

loydb
12-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Sorry, I spoke poorly. There are boro glasses that have visual color-shifting properties just like soft. There is a common myth in head shops that some of the pipes are made out of glass that physically changes colors as it is used. It doesn't. The temperatures involved aren't high enough to cause a chemical change in the glass. What *is* happening is that the reflective and refractive qualities of the glass (almost all of which is silver or gold fumed initially) change based on how much smoke residue accumulates -- residue that can almost never be 100% cleaned out, so the pipe changes in appearance through use.

loyd

flamewerks
12-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Here is a superb example of functional art that I bought from Pan. He used my business card logo as inspiration.

I can't even begin to know how much work went into this piece! It holds a place of honor in my glass collection cabinet - right in the middle of my Perthshire paperweights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/10204-pan_pipe1_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/10204-pan_pipe2_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/10204-pan_pipe3_wc.jpg

-Mona

Zonnestraaltje
12-19-2003, 09:11 AM
You know, I'm not a naive person...but I was actually surprised at the beginning of this thread to hear that some people do actually smoke "stuff" in these pipes...I never thought of them that way...I always just saw them as wonderful art pieces. Not that I was shocked by it...just surprised, but even though one may not condone drug usage, I still think they are terrific sculptural creations.

Mona, thanks for sharing your pictures of Pan's work.... the colors are so rich and the design is amazing!

DonnaBee
12-19-2003, 11:02 AM
I don't smoke anything anymore, but I would *love* to own one of these works of art!

Is it illegal to own one of these in the U.S. now? (I honestly do not know.)

GnarleyGlass
12-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Here is my link to view my newbie work. I have been teaching myself for 9 months and I enjoy what i do and am able to put food on the table. As for all the other aspects that are being argued here, well i won't get into it. Lets just say I support NORML.

www.glasspipes.org/gnarleyglass

:D

Li Mei Sheng
12-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by DonnaBee
Is it illegal to own one of these in the U.S. now? (I honestly do not know.)
Owning a glass pipe isn't illegal, but the police seem to automatically assume that the only purpose a glass pipe can have is for smoking pot or other narcotics, and so they like to confiscate them, even if the pipe hasn't been used.

If you kept it in a display case at home with other glass artwork, you'd probably be ok, but if the cops came to visit for some reason (say, someone broke in and stole your TV) and noticed it, they might decide to get a warrant to search your place and investigate you.

I assume the "black Monday" people have referred to is when Tommy Chong of Cheech'n'Chong fame (and other pipe makers/dealers) got sent to Club Fed for nine months for making and selling pipes ("marketing drug paraphernalia").

midniteburner
12-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Oh my, my!!!!

Mona: that is a "super-duper" piece of art that Pan made you!!!!!!

Yes, I am drooling over the keyboard!!!!

Honestly, I would not have known it was a pipe, if you hadn't said so.

Sara

DonnaBee
12-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Thank you for answering my question.

This all makes me think about something that happened last May when I had a tank of oxygen delivered.

The oxy delivery guy asked me casually "So does your husband blow glass?"

I said, no actually, the oxygen is for me, I make glass beads!

Then, he started telling me how he had delivered oxygen to a former customer who made pipes for Tommy Chong, and how this person was now in Canada.

Then he asks me if I have some beads so that he can have something to give his wife on Mother's Day (which was a few days away.)

I had two necklaces, and he said he wanted them both. I thought it was really cool I sold pieces to my oxy delivery guy!

But doesn't that all seem just a little strange in hindsight? Hmmm.

I knew about Tommy Chong's product line, but this is the first I've heard of "Black Monday", or that he was in any trouble.

sharonL
12-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Mona...........WOW is all I can say about Pan's pipe. That is beautiful......pipe or sculpture or whatever you want to call it it is a beautiful piece of glass. Colors and form (I love the spiraling "horn-looking" thingies coming from it. I love it.

Please don't think I'm terrible asking -- but how much money would you have to pay to buy something like that? It's beautiful. I would suppose it would be very expensive....and.....if I bought one -- would Pan get in trouble if he sent it to me in the mail?

If you don't know the answer to the sent in mail question...anyone else know? I WANT ONE!!!

Christopher Rice
12-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey Sharon, I pm'd you back with the info you were looking for!
-pan

midniteburner
12-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Pan,

you can PM me that info too.

I sure hope that one day either I can come up there for a class, or better yet, you can come down to the NC/SC area to teach. I am not kidding around about this.

Sara

Christopher Rice
12-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey Sara, you've got a PM!
-pan

kandice
12-22-2003, 09:44 PM
I'd just like to say that the pipes shown in this thread are beautiful, IMO, and the ones over at Glasspipes.org are some of the most spectacularly beautiful pieces of art I have ever seen. Functional, not functional, doesn't matter to me. Sooooo freaking gorgeous!
I used to see pipes all the time at Saturday Market in Portland - and there are quite a few boro artists and pipemakers in the Oregon/Washington area. Not illegal to have and to sell the pipes themselves - you can just smoke regular tobacco in them.
But I have never seen pipes as gorgeous as some of the ones shown on the glasspipes.org site. Wow!

Beth Myers
12-23-2003, 03:07 AM
What amazing work!!!!!
I am loving all the color and movement.
Can you imagine the time and patience it takes to pull this off.
PLEASE post more often!!!!
Beth

Beth Myers
12-23-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by swamperfolk
Nobody said "don't waste you time making those dildos - nobody would use them."

HAHAHAHA, yeah, right. Works of Art

OMG.....ROFLMAO.....how funny is that!!!???!!!
trying to catch my breath,
Beth

You know what else I really like in a pipe but have found it very hard to do with a bead is the "inside out honeycomb thing", savy?
Anyone have a pic of this technique????

Emily
12-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Beth, do you mean like John Olson's beads?

He demo'd the technique at the Gathering last summer. Let's just say I won't be trying it at home for a while -- quite a while.

Here's a picture of one of John's beads that I swiped off his website (yes, stealing images without asking is a Very Bad Thing, but how can he begrudge us a chance to admire?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2003/11021-johnolsonbead.jpg

Here's a link to the website:

John Olson's beads (http://www.patiwalton.com/john.html)

Beth Myers
12-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Emily,
That is very close to what I'm trying so badly to describe.
Thanks for the pic and link too.
I am going on a search and snatch mission and see if I can find some pics for example.
The Birthday Beth

Emily
12-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by sharonL
would Pan get in trouble if he sent it to me in the mail?

I just spent a long time composing a carefully worded answer to this, trying to be informative but non-confrontational, and then the computer ate it. Oh well.

The quick answers are that yes, it's illegal to send drug paraphernalia through the mail (and private companies like UPS count, too), drug paraphernalia is anything that's "primarily intended or designed for use" in making drugs or taking drugs, and glass pipes can count as drug paraphernalia.

Yes, you could argue that the law shouldn't apply when you're buying something strictly for display as an object of art, but is that an argument you really need to have? I'm sure Pan would make you a lovely goblet or vase . . .

Laura Brito
12-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Mona, lucky girl you! I wish I had one of those!

Here is Mexico they are not illegal at all. You can make them and own them! hehe I don't know how to make them though, unfortunately. I have seen one made before, but it seems pretty complicated. I might have to have Pan come down here for a retreat on making pipes that are works of art!

Laura

flamewerks
12-24-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Laura Brito
I might have to have Pan come down here for a retreat on making pipes that are works of art!

Well, I'd sure like to be there for it!

-Mona

Christopher Rice
12-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I'm definately down for travel if there is a space to fill a classroom and teach! I would love to head out in that direction and check it out, I have never made it past Wyoming. I am serious, if it's something that may be possible, drop me an email. Merry X-mas ya'll!
-pan

[email protected]

redhotbeads
12-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Gorgeous work, both here and at glasspipes.org. Use 'em or don't, I really don't care ... they are still works of art, fantastic to look at, and admirable!
Kelly

EyesOfTheWorld
12-25-2003, 07:20 PM
A friend's dad has a room mate who paid for medical school by blowing and selling glass pipes to fellow college students. How could you blow one using moretti? I think just in highschool I could make exorbitant amounts of money selling them.

Modesto
12-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by EyesOfTheWorld
A friend's dad has a room mate who paid for medical school by blowing and selling glass pipes to fellow college students. How could you blow one using moretti? I think just in highschool I could make exorbitant amounts of money selling them.

Soft glass isn't used for blowing glass pipes but, I'll bet you could sell glass beads like hot cakes to your fellow students. ;) :cool:

EyesOfTheWorld
12-25-2003, 11:39 PM
So its not possible at all to blow soft glass at all? I know I could sell beads and pendants, but there are so many more kids who smoke pot or crack or whatever they do. Not as many kids my age are into beading/making jewlery as are into drugs. Yes, sad, but true.

Modesto
12-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by EyesOfTheWorld
So its not possible at all to blow soft glass at all?

It is possible to blow with soft glass, I do it all the time but, not glass pipes. They will shatter :eek:

I know I could sell beads and pendants, but there are so many more kids who smoke pot or crack or whatever they do. Yes, sad, but true.

Yes it is sad.

Not as many kids my age are into beading/making jewlery as are into drugs.

Well then you shouldn't have any problem...you could corner the market! Hemp up your beads while doing your homework. Think of it as getting paid for your education. Really, I know your future would be more rewarding. :cool:

munkeyonastring
12-26-2003, 04:01 AM
its true that lampwork beads in hemp go like hotcakes to younger generation kids.....there is a certain age at which people just wont wear hemp jewelry but anyone under 30 seem to love it......awesome thread!

Mark Wilson
12-27-2003, 11:45 PM
i can't believe that this thread is still going. yes pipes are illegal. yes they are for drug use. no the are not used for tobacco. yes some of them are pretty colors, but you can make a lot of things pretty colors. try making something else.

Christopher Rice
12-28-2003, 08:41 AM
LOL, open your eyes, open your mind....................
-pan

Jillie Beads
12-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Sign me up for Pan's class in Mexico!!! :) Jill

Modesto
12-28-2003, 12:40 PM
The dividing line?

Firearms are mass produced and, for many the intent is negative.
//////////////////////////////
Some firearms are created artistically and, they reside in Museums/private collections...firing them isn't the focus.

Modesto
12-28-2003, 02:16 PM
LOL No I am not a collector/creator of glass pipes nor firearms :D

flamewerks
12-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Harold
The dividing line?

Firearms are mass produced and, for many the intent is negative.
//////////////////////////////
Some firearms are created artistically and, they reside in Museums/private collections...firing them isn't the focus.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

-Mona

paintfool
12-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Mark Wilson
i can't believe that this thread is still going. yes pipes are illegal. yes they are for drug use. no the are not used for tobacco. yes some of them are pretty colors, but you can make a lot of things pretty colors. try making something else.

Mark, please understand that this discussion is about creating works of art and WC! will not deny it's members the opportunity to discuss them. I do not believe that creating these works is illegal and until such time that it is proven to me that it is we will continue to allow the posting of them and subsequent discussions on the creative process involved in producing them.

If anyone cares to discuss the legal or moral issues of drug and or paraphernalia use please address that in the debates forum. I'm sure that the topic will be well received there. This is not the place for that particular topic.

With that said, please continue on with the original topic, pipes as art.

Thank you.
Cheryl

Christopher Rice
12-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks Cheryl!
-pan

paintfool
12-28-2003, 06:10 PM
You're welcome Chris.

roamingmagick
12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Thank you for allowing this thread Cheryl and Val. I think it is quite important to the glass world in this day and age. If these are made illegal then what next. A bead can be used to hold a joint and smoked. Should we ban them as well. Art is art. Functional or not it is still art.

Pan,

Beautiful works of art. Truly amazing. Please PM me with the info you sent the others. Thank you.

Mike,

You are very entitled to your opinion on the subject. But they are art and a life saver. Let's not forget about all of us medicinal users. It does the heart and soul good to own tools that are so beautiful. Why do people buy any kind of artwork? It makes them feel good to see it. The tools for smoking are endless but these are one of a kind works of art. No different than a vase, goblet, bead or paperweight.

Since so many seem to look at getting them dirty as a negative I wanted to let people know one of the truly magical elements to these pipes. Getting them dirty. Whether it be tobacco, legal smoking herbs or illegal (in the eyes of the feds). You know it is truly a piece of art when it has been used.

It changes the look of the piece and makes it a completely different piece of art. A lot of people who buy pipes don't get to appreciate all of the changes the artwork goes through. When it is "dirty" the piece reveals all of itself. It truly is a different piece when dirty. All is revealed and new amazing things are released to the eye.

Now even more magick happens. You get to clean it and make it look like new again. It looks just like the day you bought it. When you first saw it in the display case and it caught your breath and made your heart speed up and you knew. Knew it was yours. Knew it belonged with you. And when you actually get to hold it...indescribable.

Then you get to watch it transform into a whole new piece of beauty once again. How many glass pieces can do this?

If you love glass making how can you not see these as artwork. Even better, functional artwork.

Rick

Christopher Rice
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey Rick, sent you a PM. Thanks!
-pan

Sable
01-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Nice piece Pan!

i gotta say that i enjoy making these "forms" in glass. I don't make too many anymore, but it's a nice break from making marbles.

http://www.glasspipes.org/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=3935

-josh

Mike E etc
01-06-2004, 06:00 AM
http://glasspipes.imghost.org/2000/Img2217_dragon-.jpg last year

http://glasspipes.imghost.org/0/Img158_pipe--.jpg four years ago

Christopher Rice
01-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Nah, now that's a nice one Sable. Old school too. I've regressed back to flares and stringers myself. I forgot how nice it looks. Comes out much cleaner for myself, and thicker too. I haven't made one of them baby's in 3 months, I should rip one up just for the heck of it. I miss working with tubing as much as I used to. But solid is fun too! Hey Mike, I like your pieces too!
-pan

MikeAurelius
01-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, just to fan the flames a bit, here in good old repressive Minnesota, it is illegal to possess drug paraphanalia, but not illegal to manufacture or sell it. And ghod help you if they find it with any "residue" in it...

CmdyNTrgdy
06-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Since this post is so old.. and I never really checked the debate forum.. I'll just write this here.

Last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to buy them. They're sold for tobacco use, and whether it gets used for that or not is up to the buyer. I know this because they sell them in the mall here.

But then again.. they sell a basic switch blade at another local mall, and they're illegal to own. So, as far as owning the pipes.. could be illegal.. but making them and selling them obviously aren't.. or I don't think they'd be out on display in a shopping mall.

ValorieCox
06-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Since this post is so old.. and I never really checked the debate forum.. I'll just write this here.

Chris, you will find the debates forum link below. Your post is off topic, as we are discussing glass pipes as art within this showcase thread. If you wish to discuss the topic in more detail and away from the subject of the glass arts, I'm certain your discussion will be well received withing the debates forum. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=13

Valorie

CmdyNTrgdy
06-03-2004, 02:12 PM
That's all I wanted to say.. :)

I'm all for the artistic value too.

loydb
06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
This is one I recently made for a friend in Montana. This is the first one I've made in awhile, I was really happy with the colors.

froggee501
06-03-2004, 02:39 PM
loyd... I love the colors of your pipe and all, think they are gorgeous, but must ask... what is the function of the marbles on the side? Is that to keep it from rolling or something?

CmdyNTrgdy
06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Decoration. Depending on how the bottom of the piece is designed, it could be to stop it from rolling over.. but usually they don't move too much..

btw, looks nice loyd. I want to start making them, but I got quite some time until I do so.

blazinghussy
06-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Loyd, I absolutely adore those colors! Very summery and sweet looking, I just wanna lick it, what a beautiful piece!

I've got a class lined up in the next couple of weeks with a local pipe maker here who's going to teach me how and I've got 4 videos headed my way to also show me how. At first I was absolutely not interested in learning pipe making, but a local blower told me that pipe making will give me so many essential basics to build on and I realized he was right, so I'm going to learn.

I hope, one day, that I'll be displaying pieces of this calibur that I can be proud of :)

Thanks for sharing and starting this thread, I think it's an important aspect of the art community and how it relates to our freedom of expression and from government interference. I love all art work and even if I don't agree it's art, I still agree that you have the right to express yourself anyway you please providing it's not harming another individual.

Beautiful work, all. Pan, granted this is an old post, but that pipe of yours is GORGEOUS!

Kel

Reignboblu
06-03-2004, 04:10 PM
The work in this thread is beautiful. I have some others to post, but this is the only one I have a picture of right now. It actually glows in the dark. My friend Ruthie made it for me.

3SistersBeads
06-03-2004, 10:56 PM
People who know what my faith convictions are might be surprised to hear my thoughts in this area. BUT..... I won't get that started here.

Hmm, Amy, I'm wondering if we share those same thoughts........... :D

Blessings,

3SistersBeads
06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Pushed the send button too soon.................

My nephew's friend makes pipes and, last year, I was able to visit his studio up in MA and sit and watch him. He gave me "directions" and some pieces of pipe rod and stuff but I never had the courage to try it. Actually, I don't think my torch (Bobcat) would get hot enough.

All I know is, it was soooooooo cool watching him make it and then add all his decoration. I must say, though, that he had absolutely no decorating ability and, frankly, I don't think he was interested in my trying to give him tips on applying dots and stuff like that. I was trying to get him to make other stuff too, like pendants and small vessels. He just wants to make pipes and I guess he sold lots of them.

I showed him my Corina book but I don't think he was open to my ideas. To be honest, he's young and a bit cocky and sort of likes to hear himself talk. He's a sweetie but didn't want to "hear me."

All I kept thinking was that he could really do some really great "art" on his pipes but I don't think he was in it for the art! :D

I've still got a small little pink pipe he gave me. It's a bit short to be "functional" :D but it's a keeper.

I'd love to get my hands on one of Pan's. Now THAT is amazing! Whew!

Great thread,

Reignboblu
06-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Really in MA? Where abouts? If he's friendly enough, I'd love to go see a demo.

Retta Gates
06-04-2004, 02:57 AM
OMG!!! That Pan creation is one of the most gorgeous peices of glass I have ever seen.

vintagelb
06-04-2004, 05:45 AM
hello all .. just scanning over the threads.... as for legality.. its illegal by federal law if its is dirty... a glass pipe is not a crime.. the only crime is what you do with it.. also this is really up in the air and depends on your local politics...

pan your work was awsome.. and sable nice to see a post from you .. your work is always awsome...

oh yeah just one other comment.. some people do use them for tabacoo and what ever eles they might puff in there own time.. not all peices are used for things our current society bans...

i am with pan on this.. BE OPEN MINDED!!!
THANKS EVERY ONE.. i look forward to more show and tell..
happy beading..
annie
www.glassbeadstore.com
www.thetimefold.com

thatgirl
06-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Can you imagine the time and patience it takes to pull this off.

Beth!! Ahh.. no.. on second thoughts, I'm not gonna go there. :evil:

Cheers,
Sue :cat:

Jacinthe
06-04-2004, 06:56 AM
All this glass art in this thread is amazing. Every single one of them. You all should come and sell in amsterdam. They'd fly out the doors. :) We have shops specifically dedicated to all this kind of beautiful artwork either for artwork or personal use.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

3SistersBeads
06-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Really in MA? Where abouts? If he's friendly enough, I'd love to go see a demo.

He had a storefront studio in Fall River but I have a feeling he closed it. Not sure................sorry

Lee Ann Anderson
06-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi All--I just recently have found this post, since I am pretty new to the forum. The pipes are just beautiful--probably the most difficult, complex, and beautiful glasswork I have seen.
I really feel compelled to post something here soooo-----Val and Cheryl--this has been an extremely interesting thread! I want you to consider, this is a very good thing, artists sharing their opinions and feelings. You'll say, it should be in the debate forum, but that wouldn't be any fun. What makes it interesting is all the pictures of neat pipes these guys are making. I think you ought to let the thread go on, as long as it is sprinkled liberally with the images. Just my opinion, I know. I do appreciate that we get to see the pipes--you could have not even let a thread like this start.
And here's my input on the issue. I am a physician, and this whole "drug" thing in this country boggles my mind. The system decides, quite arbitrarially, what drugs are legal and what ones aren't. What rules all this?? Money, of course, and those that have it insuring that they get more. What makes a drug "bad"? One that is not prescribed by a doctor?? Think about it. It's quite all right to be an addict, if your doctor prescribes the drug. One of the worst addiction problems currently is vicodin--a narcotic. Take a look at the statistics on how the prescribing of this drug has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. And any studies you look at will tell you--pot is not nearly the addicting substance that vicodin is. Think people--pot is not legal because it doesn't benefit those at the top for it to be.
Yes, this is my real name----Lee Ann Anderson

3SistersBeads
06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I spoke with my friend, Joe today, and when I asked how his mom was (she's in her 80's), he said "she's ok except she's addicted to painkillers."

Guess which one?

Vicodin.......................

It's very sad

thewildbunny
06-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Gosh, Fall River is only about 13 miles from me. It's a shame to here about his mother, though.

3SistersBeads
06-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Gosh, Fall River is only about 13 miles from me. It's a shame to here about his mother, though.

How close are you to Seekonk? That's where my mom lives and I may be up there in the fall!

Reignboblu
06-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Fall River is approximately 15 minutes from Seekonk. So figure 25 minutes for wherever 13 miles is. (I'm from Acushnet, btw)

thewildbunny
06-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I think I'm the other way. I live in Lakeville - New New Bedford. But hey, I'm more than willing to travel! *grin*

!Karen
06-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Hmmm...........where have I been??? I didn't know there was so much to SEE and drool over at www.glasspipes.org/ Man, what talent, what fun!!

I can envision an entire wing of my house devoted to pipes. "Pipes On Display", wonder if I can charge admission???????????? LOL, well, probably not in this neighborhood, there is some amazing stuff there.

Getting out from under my rock,

:)Karen

flamewerks
06-05-2004, 04:14 AM
Think people--pot is not legal because it doesn't benefit those at the top...

Isn't that the truth! You can walk into any convenience store and buy a pack of cigarettes - a product full of highly addictive substances and poisons that are proven to be detrimental to your health. It's all about money. Big tobacco, big pharmaceuticals. Same beast.

God forbid you use pot for medicinal purposes or get your prescriptions filled more economically in Canada...

-Mona

springdream
06-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Isn't that the truth! You can walk into any convenience store and buy a pack of cigarettes - a product full of highly addictive substances and poisons that are proven to be detrimental to your health. It's all about money. Big tobacco, big pharmaceuticals. Same beast.

Don't worry, as soon as they can find a way to water it down (so to speak), mass produce it, make it addictive (stuff some tabacco in it to gaurantee repeat business) and tax the hell out of it, it will be legal. Cigs and alcohol are just as dangerous, alcohol more so because of the massive amount of dunk drivers and that's legal. Thousands of people die each day because of what cigs do, so I'm not sure why it's taking so long to legalize pot....

Beth Myers
06-05-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm playing Mom tonight, so understand when I gently suggest that we try and keep this wonderful thread, wonderful, and full of good vibes by staying on the subject of beautiful pipes, and how they are created.
And not slip slide over into that dark and murky place of "what get's smoked in them".
Let's save that one for a slow day. :evil:

Cheech and Beth

!Karen
06-05-2004, 09:00 PM
I would like to see more pictures of pipes. I don't know what gets smoked in them. I thought they were for display or perhaps a bit of pipe tobacco.

Sincerely,
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/33050-baghead.gif

flamewerks
06-05-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm playing Mom tonight, so understand when I gently suggest that we try and keep this wonderful thread, wonderful, and full of good vibes by staying on the subject of beautiful pipes, and how they are created.
And not slip slide over into that dark and murky place of "what get's smoked in them".
Let's save that one for a slow day. :evil:

Cheech and Beth
Thanks for the reminder, Bethy-Mom... I made my post at 1:15 AM while I was up with a horrendous back ache. Guess my vicodin hadn't kicked in yet. Heh, heh...

I'll be good. Promise.

-Mona

Angie B.
06-08-2004, 01:55 AM
It is really great that we can show different types of glass art here. If you have a love of glass you can only look at these pipes and see them as beautiful works of art. The pipe makers never cease to amaze me in such wonderful ways. I am always inspired to try new things when I see the way they stretch the limits. I am pretty sure owning a tobacco pipe is not illegal in most states. If you have an illegal substance or residue in them than they become illegal. Art is what you make of it. If you look closely you can find art all around you when you open your eyes and your minds. Thanks for sharing and please keep them coming!
Angie :)

Beth Myers
06-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Bethy-Mom... I made my post at 1:15 AM while I was up with a horrendous back ache. Guess my vicodin hadn't kicked in yet. Heh, heh...

I'll be good. Promise.

-Mona

MONA,
My dearest pal!
YOU ARE ALWAYS A GOOD THING!
So glad to see your post. Wish I saw more of them, but I understand.
AND my post wasn't directed at you or anyone who's posted.
I was trying to think ahead so to speak of some who may have ALOT to say about leafy substances and didn't want to see this thread become about THAT!
What anyone smokes is up to them, who cares, I say.
But I sure do care about being able to share ALL our art work, no matter what it is, the good, the bad and the ugly.....lol.
Big warm wishes and hugs to you Mona,
Beth

nilaya
06-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Id never actually read this thread before..so glad i did :) The pipes at glasspipes are amazing! (regardless of there use)
Another fave of mine is glasslust.com I have NO idea what they are for of course...*cough* but those glass caterpiller lookin things surely are purty ;) :p

Lorretta

flamewerks
06-08-2004, 10:03 AM
AND my post wasn't directed at you or anyone who's posted.

No worry. I didn't take it personally at all. You're absolutely right, no need to take a perfectly good thread and steer it off into OT territory.

I have a couple more pieces to show, if I can find them. They're still packed from when we moved 4 years ago!

TTYL,
M

scupltorgirl
06-08-2004, 02:34 PM
For some reason, www.glasspipes.org won't show photos today, saying server space is full.

Whaaaah! I really want to look at the art! If anyone can post more photos like the excellent piece Pan showed, I'd love to see it!

(My son goes to college in Santa Cruz, and has told me about how beautiful pipes can be.)

Please show more pictures!

Lee Ann Anderson
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I second the request--The website Mitchelle talks about still isn't working, I tried the lampworking site mentioned at the beginning of this thread--I registered and everything, but it's just not my kind of place :eek:
Come on guys, post some pics--if not I will be forced :D to post a discussion of the many medicinal uses of marijuana. (Just kidding moderators, I wouldn't do a terrible thing like that :angel: )
Lee Ann