PDA

View Full Version : Canada geese

par72sb
12-07-2003, 11:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2003/5611_Canada_Geese.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Canada geese
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this scene is made up from a couple of photo

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm new to acrylic ,not happy with the water,
what do you think of the painting overall any comments/critiques are welcome.

artinoils
12-08-2003, 04:12 AM
You've done an excellent job being new to acrylics. The water looks fine to me. The geese are wonderful too.
What bothers me is there is just too much to attract my attention. Too many geese...maybe eliminate the background flocks. The other thing I noticed is their size doesn't seem right for some of their locations...probably due to using several photos as your reference. Compare the foreground flying geese to the ones beneath in the water. The sky is nicely done but, imo, should be lighter than the water reflection, since it is the light source, and should progress to lighter nearer the horizon due to viewing through more layers of atmosphere.

djstar
12-08-2003, 05:03 AM
I like the water but it depends on what YOU want to say.
To me it is a gray day. The overcast may not show in the distant sky but it is not shining on where we are, as there are no strong shadows on the birds.
It feels very chilly. It is a very evocative image when seeing geese swooping down. Also it is very lonesome feeling.
I like that is captures a sense of a solitary trip at a chilly time of the year. It has the wildlife equivalence of a truckstop. Not at al homey, just a point on the way....
So that is why I like it....
IF that is what you wanted it to say.
dj*

xvallarta
12-08-2003, 10:28 AM
If it were my painting I would do one of the following:

1. Give the water a glaze of grey/blue to darken it in total. Usually the water is a shade or two darker than the sky.

2. Put in curved streaks of dark blue/gray to represent troughs of waves. Then when that is dry go over the entire water area with a thin glaze of grey/blue. This would make the water seem in movement (windy day) and would bring a consolidating color to the entire water area.

myles

pero lane
12-08-2003, 11:59 AM
I don't have a problem with anything except the 2 closest to us geese in the air...they need to be lightened or they could be done without. Very nice work and as dj said...atmosphere is an isolated spot to rest awhile!:)