PDA

View Full Version : Orange Snag Please Critique

sassybird
07-28-2001, 05:07 AM
Taken from my back porch at sunset.

spectru
07-31-2001, 11:06 PM
The color from the sunset is terrific. I can't see the objects near the bottom of the frame well enough to identify them (they look like signs on a fence.) I think yoiu should have raised the camera just enough to crop them out and to include the top of the snag. I don't know what equipment you have, but a longer lens would have allowed you to show more detail of the filligree of branches and to fill the frame with it.

sassybird
08-01-2001, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by spectru
The color from the sunset is terrific. I can't see the objects near the bottom of the frame well enough to identify them (they look like signs on a fence.) I think yoiu should have raised the camera just enough to crop them out and to include the top of the snag. I don't know what equipment you have, but a longer lens would have allowed you to show more detail of the filligree of branches and to fill the frame with it.

spectru,

Thank you for those hints. Right now all I have is a digital Olympus Camedia 2.3 pixels. I do have a good 35 mm, but I need some work done on it, and then I need some homework to learn how to use it. It is an old Yashika with no bells or wistles on it. It belonged to my uncle who was a still photographer and movie maker for over 50 yrs.

I have no idea of what that white is on the fence. This is on our property and no signs should be posted. We live in the desert.

Kevin M
08-30-2001, 05:37 PM
I've just come across this picture Sass, and it is a very pleasant image.

I agree with the previous posts regarding the lack of detail in the shadow areas however it is to be expected in this situation when the highlights on the tree and the sky are correctly exposed. If you had exposed to retain shadow detail the more important elements of the tree and sky would be washed out. It would be convenient if all subjects fell into a nice narrow band of light values that the camera can handle as we see them. Darkroom techniques in general are aimed at highlighting or rescuing elements in an image that dont conform to our visualisation. In this case one remedy would be a bit of dodging of the darker areas.

Digitally we have Photoshop which really is a complete professional darkroom in a software package. Whilst it is extremely powerful it still depends on a reasonably accurately exposed image to work with since it cannot create details that dont exist.

Corrections can be as little or extreme as one likes.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/orange.jpg