PDA

View Full Version : softies over oilies

sundiver
12-15-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm trying to save a muddy, blah, overworked painting that wouldn't take layers in o.p. - those new Senneliers are mostly to blame. I have to accept that they have limited uses. I tried the turps thing, no go. If I tried scumbling it just picked up the underneath color and removed it. Some of the colors won't be manipulated with the color-shapers, either.
Anyway, I got out my very softest soft pastels (that would be my Terry Ludwigs and the 30-year-old Grumbachers) and scumbled them over the oilies.
C and C welcome and wanted.
Are the shadowy areas of the timbers too purply?
Does the structure stop you from entering the picture-compositionally I mean?
The perspective is a little skewed but not as skewed as it was in the ref photo. The scan's a bit rough, too.
Thanks for looking!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2003/6393-NRusticokayaks.jpg

Mo.
12-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Good idea Wendy, the shadows look fine to me, but there does seem a lot of blue in the painting, maybe some warmer colours on the side of the roof there. I see what you mean about being blocked, but then aren't the boats the focal point?

One thing that bothers me is the left buliding looks like it's perched on top of that construction piece in front, perhaps extending the base of the building a bit, or some shadows? Dunno, needs something to give some sense of space between them and make the bulding fade backwards. Hope this helps.

Mo.:)

Dyin
12-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Mo said it exactly right....durn them Senneliers! Nice save tho...

bcraver
12-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Are the shadowy areas of the timbers too purply?

I don't think so. I think all the colors hang together well. I love purple and it works well here.

The whole painting is rather flat from a aerial perspective point of view, but I think that just makes the composition stronger in an abstract way. The colors of the grasses and the buildings and the sky are all very nice, with the accents of the two kayaks (or whatever) in the foreground.

Good job! Don't fuss over the perspective, this very nice. Leave it alone now

Kathryn Wilson
12-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Good save, Wendy! I have a set of those Senneliers too - they certainly are gooey so I save them for last - they may still be around in 5 years at that rate.

Did you leave the painting sit for a day or two for it to get a "skin" before putting on the softies? I was wondering if they smeared the op's at all.

I like the purples in the shadows - but I think the grass in the background behind the left building could be darkened to get more depth of field.

bnoonan
12-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Wendy - I think this is just great the way it is. Great subject matter and you really did well with all those shadows to add throughout the piece.
A beauty!! Barb

sundiver
12-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your comments and advice!
I liked the contrast between the bright new kayaka and the old weathered buildings.
That bottom edge of the left building bothered me, too, so I lowered it.
I put a lot of light yellow on the roof but it doesn't show in the scan.
Then I decided to put the water in the background- it would have shown had I been 3 feet taller :D and I wanted to add some depth.

Originally posted by kyle
Did you leave the painting sit for a day or two for it to get a "skin" before putting on the softies? I was wondering if they smeared the op's at all.

I let it set overnight. Even then only the very softest pastels would go over it, and with the lightest touch.
Here's the second, hopefully improved version. Better? More advice?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/6393-NRusticokayaks.2.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
12-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Good fix, Wendy. The water in the background gives it more depth. I like that you lightened the sky at the horizon line too.

:clap:

eileenclaire
12-16-2003, 12:16 PM
I think this looks terrific! I don't know anything about landscapes, composition or design, but I know what I like, and I like this!

Mo.
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Oh Yes! The addition of the water is great and all those yellow highlights tie in lovely with the boats. Much more impact now, Love it Wendy. :clap:

Mo.:)

Dyin
12-16-2003, 03:50 PM
mo bettuh!!!! :D

bcraver
12-16-2003, 07:37 PM
VERY NICE. I didn't think it needed anything, but the changes have really strengthened the painting! I REALLY like it now!

dolphinfire
12-16-2003, 07:44 PM
I like the first and second one. I don't like oil pastels either. I prefer soft any day. I think it came out wonderful though.:clap:

bnoonan
12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
gotta agree - I liked both versions but this really put the kayaks in a focal point.

Barb Good work!

Vegas Art Guy
12-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Putting the water in was a great idea, it really holds the painting together. I also like how you brightened up the grass. I need to dig out my conte crayons in a big way... What, you thought I'd be dumb enough to get into the op v softies v hard pastels now did you? :D Not I said the Vegas Art Guy...