PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Stalksthedawn

crumbedbrains
12-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey all,
X-posted in the wildlife forum.

I asked Stalksthedawn (Aleks) if I could use this image from the ref library quite some time ago but I never seemed to get around to it. Always kept it there as I knew I would paint it someday.

Well, as you've probably seen in the Cafe, Aleks has had her share of ups and downs lately but is looking forward to a new beginning starting January. So I thought I'd get my act together in an attempt to lighten her day. Aleks has been a fantastic supporter of the ref library where she has been a prolific poster.

This was another quickie for me using similar techniques to the Robin I posted a while back. About 14ins x 10ins.

So here's to you Alexs . . chin up . . hope this brings a smile.
Thanks again for the use of the image
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2003/10882-BEACH_107wc.jpg

and a little closer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2003/10882-BEACH_109wc.jpg

kimo
12-15-2003, 11:11 AM
OUCH! ( oh, sorry, but when my chin just now hit the ground, it hurt)

I could really learn to dislike you a lot!!! :p Okay, I'm kidding. It's just pure jealousy.

This is an absolutely stunning image!!! I don't know what else to say.

I would love it if you could share the details . . . what kind of paper, pastels, techniques, etc. I'm assuming you used the Gaka pastel dust method?

Again . . . positively stunning!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
12-15-2003, 01:01 PM
OMG :eek: ... you actually!!! frequent OTHER Forums :eek: :) ..... Crumby, I said it with your Robin...... and will say it again here..... it just PROVES you Do Not have to work slow to get stunning works..... this and the Robin are some of your better pieces to my mind...... they have a glow about them.... rich and vibrant.... and love the background..... composition

.... Now forgive me for this comment..... but I must be wrong.... but I dont read the beak and or position correctly

Beautiful work as always Crumby

Mo.
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
This is GOBSMACKING SENSATIONAL Sir Crumb!
I love this new style of yours much more painterly and lively,what sort of bird is this? At first I tho8ught macaw due to the colouring, but the beak is not of the macaw /parrot family, more of a finch type bird.

Looks like he's ready to have a nap there.:)

:clap::clap:
Mo.:)

Redsy333
12-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Yep id say its a beautyl...but only because there is REDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD IN IT!! lol:D
Seriously though it is another amazing work!
hugs
Redsy

crumbedbrains
12-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

kimo . . this is stonehenge paper with faber castell pastels with a few Schminke's for the final touches. Gaka and I use similar techniques but not exactly the same as I try to go a bit faster nowadays without trying to lose much in the way of quality . .this means more direct pastel with the stick than Gaka uses. Also my background is a mix of indian ink washes with a light pastel coating on top as I am frustrated with the lack of good dark paper colours. I find this is a good technique for three reasons 1) it does not really affect the tooth of the paper 2) it speeds up the process 3) a better quailty (i.e. more rich) outcome than straight pastel dust or blended pastel.

Dawn . . . LOL . .yes I take a peek at other forums now and then . .(slaps wrist). I agree with you in that this faster technique using background ink washes brings a glow to the work that I've never had before. As far as the beak is concerned . . I can't see where I'm out so I've attached the ref pic for you so you might be able to help further . .thanks

Mo . . You ae right , this is a macaw . .like the blue and yellow ones. mmmmm . .you mentioned the beak too . . mmmm . . .ok ref pic is here for you too . .any help is gratefully accepted. :)

Redddddddddddddddsy . .thanks matey :)
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2003/10882-5155picture_537wc.jpg

Meisie
12-17-2003, 03:44 AM
Gorgeous! The bird is perfect (beak is 100% ;) ) and the background stunning. What paper is this? That it takes the ink so well?
Meisie

meowmeow
12-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Another stunner! He (she?...no I think he!)is gorgeous. I am always amazed at the fine detailing you are able to get.
Thanks for sharing...and for painting so well!

Sandy

Dyin
12-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Crumby...almost missed this!!! Wow....glow is the right word, it's almost like an egg tempera painting...how do you apply your inks to the background??? As to the beak....it gives the illusion of a finch type beak because it's buried behind the feather, the yellow highlight on the edge of the feather gives the illusion that it's the lower part of a beak...so if you lost that lit edge it would look more tucked in. This is awesome...like it very much!

Mo.
12-17-2003, 12:32 PM
the yellow highlight on the edge of the feather gives the illusion that it's the lower part of a beak

That's it exactly, it puzzled me a little, but having seen the ref can see now what you have done, sorry for the confusion.

Mo.:)

Dark_Shades
12-17-2003, 01:35 PM
ahhhhhhh so its the yellow on the feather..... yes I do think that needs to be changed... but still thought something quite not right... so saved both pics..... hope you dont mind Crumby :) ..... (cheek of the woman!!! Ha!), but I did an overlay...... I think also some more dark infront of its head will give it better shape, along with the adjustment for the beak

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2003/12116-1.jpg

PS Mo..... didnt recognise you there ha ha ha

crumbedbrains
12-18-2003, 05:57 AM
LOL . . who'd have thought!! . . I'm so close to the action I couldn't see what people we're looking at!! ok so now it's clear . . . and fixed. Hope this is better. Dawn you we're also correct with the tone of the frontal lobe . . so darkened it as well.
Thanks everyone!!
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2003/10882-MACAW_012WC.jpg

crumbedbrains
12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
Sorry . .forgot to answer some questions:

Meisie . . . it's stonehenge paper . .my fave except it only comes it white, cream and black

Dyin . . . the ink is applied just like water colour . . . I like it better coz it gives a rich colour without the transparency of water colour which I don't like. It means stretching the paper and everything (just like a watercolour) but it's worth it.

Cheers and thanks for looking
Crumby

Dark_Shades
12-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Perfecto! that reads so much better now Crumby well done lol

.... getting Brazen in my old age :eek: ha ha ha

Meisie
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Great info! Thanks.........I'm glad you mentioned that the paper needs to be stretched ;)
Meisie