PDA

View Full Version : Scripts to help prevent image theft.

M.A.
12-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, I recently added a new script to my site that you may be interested in. I found the script on the following site: http://www.dynamicdrive.com ... they are free to use, you just have to leave the author's name in the script.

In any event, I was aware of a script that prevented "right clicks" (the ones where you can "save as") so that when a person right clicks an image a little box would pop up and say "Right clicks are not allowed" or "this site does not support that function" type of thing. Well, I found a new script that pops up a menu for your site when anyone right clicks, seems to me that it is a "nice" way of saying "no right clicks" without saying it.

I forget the exact page where it is on that site but it was easy to install and although it surely isn't foolproof, its a start.

Could probably even develop one to use on eBay so that it would give a person the option of going to your "about me" page or your store when they try to "right click" the images of your paintings.

You can find the script under "menus and navigation" look for the "context menu script."

You can see it in action on my site when you try to right-click there. ;)

surreal
12-14-2003, 07:01 PM
This is wonderful, Mary-Ann!
:clap:

If I had a personal website, I would definitely use it!

However, I think an overlay of copyright info on one's images may be necessary too, in case a thief wants to photograph an image that appears on a monitor.

Perhaps I am being paranoid here.

;)

M.A.
12-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Nina, I was thinking of you when I posted this. That's a great point. I don't think you are being paranoid, especially after the ordeal you went through earlier this year.:)

james.bishop
12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by surreal
Perhaps I am being paranoid here.
Not paranoid. While these kinds of scripts may dissuade the casual would-be-thief, it will not prevent theft.

One simple way to steal an image is to hit the screenprint button, paste into a graphics package, crop the image and save it.

Another is to grab the cached copy of your image : if I can see your image, that means it's on my pc, and I can use it. On my browser (IE6) it's as simple as left clicking the image and dragging the mouse down to the browser status bar at the bottom of the screen : the browser brings up the image alone and tells me exactly where it is stored on my pc. Try it on one of the tinyheads on this thread!

That said, I think that popup menu is great!! :D

M.A.
12-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Yup, you're right. It is too easy. Never new I could drag and drop an image! I thought the script was fun too, figured there would be ways around it but never knew it could be soooooo easy LOL. Will keep looking for ways though. :)

M.A.
12-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Oh, btw, I just deleted your tinyhead from my computer, JB. :D

M.A.
12-14-2003, 07:39 PM
They also have a script to Disable Image Toolbar script IE6 ... might be worth a shot?

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/imagebar.htm

james.bishop
12-14-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by fun2cook
Oh, btw, I just deleted your tinyhead from my computer, JB. :D
So it's off with me head then is it!! :eek: :D

ElizaLeahy
12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Would it be allowed on ebay do you think? I'd love to have it go to my store! lol

surreal
12-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ElizaLeahy
Would it be allowed on ebay do you think? I'd love to have it go to my store! lol

Wouldn't that be the best, Eliza?

;)

ElizaLeahy
12-14-2003, 09:07 PM
I can't find it :(

TeAnne
12-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by fun2cook
Nina, I was thinking of you when I posted this. That's a great point. I don't think you are being paranoid, especially after the ordeal you went through earlier this year.:)

lol I love your snow glass ball thingy. hahahahah

Another thing too, when you sit your mouse on a pic, a little wondow comes up with the save image.!Duh! I suppose it's called the Image Toolbar lolol

surreal
12-14-2003, 09:11 PM
I don't think it is possible for our stores, Eliza!

ebay couldn't care less about copyright infringement, as we know.

:mad:

ElizaLeahy
12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
You are now chatting with 'Jane H.'
elizaleahy: are we allowed to use a right mouse button disable script to help protect our images?
Jane H.: Welcome to Live Help! My name is Jane. How can I help you today?
Jane H.: Thank you for bringing up your concern with us.
Jane H.: I would be very happy to assist you with that.
Jane H.: That is within your own discretion, and you have the option to do that.
Jane H.: Is there anything else I can help you with?
elizaleahy: So ebay won't pull the auction because of it?
Jane H.: No! That is not in any way violating any rule.
elizaleahy: thank you

TeAnne
12-14-2003, 09:35 PM
I used to have one on my photos in the auctions. I got rid of it because it was a pest when it came to editing/relisting and or "other"

No matter what you do, if they want it they will get it. I've done it myself just to see if it could be done. 1 hour later, I had the image I wanted.

ElizaLeahy
12-14-2003, 10:04 PM
I never worry about theft. If they are going to steal it they are going to steal it. The only way to stop it is to not put your pictures up.

But it would be neat to have it link to your store :)

imaginethat
12-14-2003, 10:38 PM
There are several scripts to prevent theft. People can still get your pics several different ways if they know how. Another thing to keep in mind - those scripts slow down the load time of a page, so for people with slow dial ups, it may mean a loss of a sale. I had it on mine for awhile, but took it off. I'm an impatient person, so decided there are probably others like me out there.

meriadoc
12-15-2003, 09:39 AM
there's many 'successful' ways of preventing image theft, but it can be very hard...

right click disable
not allowing the user to see the source is another (disabling the menu bar at the top)
transparent animated gif over the top of the image is another.

we were talking about this at school once, and you can do either of the following (which i've seen done)

one is to implement a javascript rollover the images, so when someone rolls over the image, it switches to another image, say, a black and white one with your domain or something over the top.

another is to imbed the images into a flash (.swf) file, that way they need to be able to deconstruct the flash file...

or, you could lay a transparent gif over the flash, and in theory it should prevent someone even knowing that there is a flash file ;)

its the bane of every artist and photographer - how to prevent image theft.

Newwings
12-15-2003, 11:28 AM
All this stuff will work to one degree or another on our own sites.
But when we're posting image files elsewhere, on an arts
portfolios site, etc, the image file is often out there on its own.
The only way I know to protect my files in that situation is by adding my name and a copyright notice, etc to the file itself.
Someone with a basic knowledge of Photoshop or any other image editor could, with a bit of work, cover the text I've added.
But they'd still have to replace the area of the image that would have appeared behind it- And anybody who's willing to work that hard for it is welcome to the low quality hacked up result they'll get. Your name, a copyright notice, your site's url, whatever-
Make these a part of your image files, and you can post them wherever you want.

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com