PDA

View Full Version : Need easy web hosting for group

flax99
12-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a web host for my local arts organization. Most of the group's members are afraid of HTML, but their website has to be easily maintained by anyone, so I believe that means we need some kind of template-based site. It has to be available to everyone, so it can't require Frontpage, Dreamweaver, or Photoshop.

So, do you know of any good web hosts that provide integrated templates?

The best one I know about is homestead.com ($9/month for a nonprofit), which looks pretty good, but I'd like to see if there are any alternatives. I don't like how Godaddy.com limits your page numbers. The only other one I found is apollohosting.com, but they're more expensive ($14/month). Any others I'm missing?

Thanks!

flax99

M.A.
12-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Artmom found one that has integrated site design and I believe is giving away hosting for three years ... her site looks great. Just look artmom's profile up to find her site.

artmom
12-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Check out my website.

If you like the format, go to
http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/Home%3Bjsessionid=82676F25C5D69C55FDA7C4B52F2B04C7.TC60b

The offer ends December 31.

3 years free--don't even need to buy a domain name.

Don't need to use HTML.

Lyn

M.A.
12-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Cool. I just signed up ... neat authentication process. :)

pampe
12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
I get a "page not found"...wassup?

TeAnne
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pampe
I get a "page not found"...wassup?

Try this.
http://order.1and1.com

flax99
12-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tip artmom, 1and1.com looks pretty interesting, although I found the templates demo a bit awkward to use. (I personally prefer to edit straight HTML, but that's not an option for my organization.)

The big problem I have with 1and1.com is I emailed them asking a few "pre-sales" questions (I always have questions), and two days later I still haven't heard back from them. This is a bad sign. If they don't bother answering email from a potential customer, how do I know if they'd ever answer questions from an actual customer? For me personally it's not such a big deal, but my group of web-newbies definitely needs a host with decent customer service.

I'll give them another day or so, then they get crossed off the list. Oh well, it did look pretty good, and cheap! I'll probably recommend that my group use homestead.com.

Thanks!

flax99

JoyJoyJoy
12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Not impressed here with 1and1. The site is not professional enough to have proper html for most users/servers.

On my Mac, the opening page came in very scambled, with images and words over each other. The page image fell off on the right side, and was not available to me in any way. Clicking on anything just opened totally empty pages with the appropriate header at the top of the www page.

I very rarely have this problem when opening websites on my MacIntosh computer... only when the html has been written by inexperienced people and/or not tested across a variety of systems used to surf the internet. To us, as buyers of their services, this means our websites may not be available to potential customers on Mac's... and who know who else?

If they are not professional enough to have their own site working, how can we trust them to host ours?

Nance

PS.. Lyn, same thing happened when I tried to open your website. I got only the pastel background... blank... with your website name on the top of the www page.

JoyJoyJoy
12-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Back again... just did check that it is not a problem with my computer/server/browser. Opened several complex sites... eBay, Amazon, Rubylane... and all opened just fine.

meriadoc
12-16-2003, 08:44 PM
nance :

can i borrow you when i finish my site design to see if it works on your mac???

I don't have access to a mac - which is why i can't test on one ;)