PDA

View Full Version : View of the Vineyard (Red Tractor)

Gavinart
07-27-2001, 07:04 PM
This paintings is 18"/24", oil on masonite. There is a slight glare from the lights when I took the photo. It's almost finished, I'm curious to see what you all think.

Thanks,

Gavin Spielman

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2001/pugliese2s.JPG

dornberg
07-27-2001, 09:56 PM
a lot of horizontals and verticals in the bak
in the front are a lot of angles, with open treatment
the sky is plain
these 3 ingredients make a very interesting picture
you also have a lot of subtlties in the application of the greens

Ceu
07-27-2001, 10:59 PM
wow I wish I could be that detailed painter. but i'm not so I say what you did is great.:)

wendee
07-28-2001, 12:50 AM
this is great....how long did it take to do this painting?:D :D

bbbilly1326
07-28-2001, 09:12 AM
I especially like the complexity of the design and composition, and the way the eye is led around by the interlocking roads and rows, and colored vehicles. My main criticism is that there is a lot of sameness in the color of the greens, and I'd like to see more variety (though this could be the scan or photo).

Bill

jerryW
07-28-2001, 09:54 AM
I love this pic
love the palet
the way everything seems to be stuck in the green vegetation
the way the blue penetrates at upper right
the streaks of dark and yellow.
the flickers of orange.

Dave Carter
07-28-2001, 11:48 AM
I'm with Bill on this one. That big patch of dark green centered in the forground disturbs me. Other wise I think you are on track.

Javier
07-28-2001, 12:41 PM
Gavinart, very nice painting -- good depth, good sky (very realistic), very nice mix of color, and your attention to detail is outstanding.

I agree with some of the other comments and some of those may disappear when you finish the painting.

The Best,

simon levenson
07-28-2001, 02:04 PM
Maybe it is just me or maybe it is because I know some of your work, but I really like this painting. There are a few things to think about as you approach the ending. Perhaps the photo you are working from has to much focus or details. But I think that the large green dark that people are talking about is very succesfull. It is really hard to keep such a large patch together without breaking it up into tiny distracting patches. I love the darks in the back as they make their way across in a nice horizontal. I like the pathway, the two ways into the painting and i think even the large spindals, or whatever they are in the front work well as a resting spot for the eyes but not a blocking point from entering the painting. The sky to me is also a success, large and well painted. I think for me the only thing is the quality of the darks seem to be similar throuhout, playing with out notion of depth. Or maybe I should say the contrast throughout seems similar in the foreground and back. Anyway, I am impressed and think this is an accomplishment.
Simon

Gavinart
07-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to critique this painting. I was happy to see so many great, positive responses.

Dornburg/Javier-
Thank you for your kind remarks and thorough evaluation of this piece.

Jerry-
I love when you dig a piece.You always come up with these lyrical poems worthy of positive critiuqe themselves. I am also impressed with your work and will take your positive remarks into my artworld...that is not a problem.

Ceu-
Detail?What detail!Thank you for your praises.

Wendee-
It was done over 3 days in the afternoon.

Bill/Dave-
I understand where you are coming from about the greens, although the original is fairly more comlex and intricate, there is a diversity green and tones of umber/red.I have toyed with this idea of adding a 4th green, possibly viridian...

Simon-
Thank you for viewing this work with such insight and construcive criticism. It is great to get someone you know to honestly crit your work, without leaving the studio! (Especially when it is someone who knows my work.) This is not from a photo, but from life. I have been working on a few pieces on Long Island for an upcoming show. You are right about the contrast of darks throughout the plane, athough the brightness/contrast had been boosted in photoshop before posting it.I have thought about toning down the background with a little cobalt blue in the shadows/dark darks.

I know how much energy and love you put into your work and art n general and I am flattered you're impressed with this one.

Gavinart
08-14-2001, 09:22 AM
Here is the finish:

http://www.gavinart.com/pix/redtractor.jpg

Thanks for any further replies...

JeanineJ
08-14-2001, 09:44 AM
Gavinart, The "finish" did not come through...
I am hoping to see less green and more ochre in the middle patch!

pampe
08-14-2001, 12:07 PM
oh, just when I came in to see the finished one.....*sigh*

I really like this piece ...it reminds me so much of places around here.....the winding road works well....and I also like the HUNK o GREEN...

The repetition of the red/orange takes my eye to the vertical lines in the background.

Nicely done!

Pam

Gavinart
08-14-2001, 02:39 PM
Pampe/Jeanine it should be there now........so sorry!

Here's a detail for your troubles.....

http://www.gavinart.com/pix/redtractordetail.jpg