PDA

View Full Version : Collage

VictoriaS
10-18-2000, 05:44 PM
Can anybody here recommend any books on the subject of collage? Or just tell me what kind of glue I need to use?

Thanks,
Victoria

oleCC
10-18-2000, 09:39 PM
Cindy is the one you need to "talk" to about this, and think you will get better input if you put this in either the forum. .. Other Mediums, or Alternative Medium forum. Good Luck! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

[This message has been edited by oleCC (edited October 18, 2000).]

CarlyHardy
10-18-2000, 11:22 PM
Here are several books I have....all are great...

Creative Collage Techniques by Nita Leland & Virginia Lee Williams

Watercolor & Collage Workshop by Gerald Brommer

Realistic Collage Step by Step by Michael David Brown & Phil Metzger

and another I'd recommend is by Pat Dews, Creative Discoveries in Watermedia.

I use acrylic medium as a collage glue. You can also use many of the textured mediums too. You can use spray adhesives to tack things in place temporarily while you are adjusting them.

The acrylic mediums are used to join 'non-oily' materials. and remember to coat acidic materials on all sides with the medium to seal them. White glue (yep...Elmer's) is another adhesive you can use but I'd still use a matte acrylic medium over all the work when its finished.

All of the above books give information on materials and adhesives. you might find some more info at www.nitaleland.com (http://www.nitaleland.com) or by using collage art in the search for websites.

carly

msue
10-19-2000, 10:29 PM
In the collage workshop I attended we used matte medium mixed with water for our "glue". Heavy items (thick paper) stuck better using gel medium or a thicker matte medium.

VictoriaS
10-20-2000, 01:05 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I figured there was somewhere else I should be posting this, but didn't know where. I did, however, have the idea that Carly does watercolor and collage, and so was hoping she'd see my question and respond.

Carly: This leads me to one more question: You mentioned using the acrylic medium for joining "non-oily" mediums. Is it possible to do a collage on an oil painting?