PDA

View Full Version : ??? everybody

Artori
12-14-2003, 03:18 AM
I've been getting e-mails from these folks and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has and if you know anything about these guys. It's www.spirallicensing.com I want to know what some of the other artists here think of this program. Should I check into it ? Does anyone know about this type of promoting?

TeAnne
12-14-2003, 03:38 AM
No, I havn't. Lets know what you think? :D

ElizaLeahy
12-14-2003, 03:55 AM
Are they asking you for money to join?

Artori
12-14-2003, 04:09 AM
I haven't gotten that far into what they're about yet. I'll check it out and update you all. I was being lazy, hoping some of you had already checked them out. You know how it is, if we checked out everything that seemed interesting to an artist on the www we'd be researchers instead of artists:rolleyes:

JoyJoyJoy
12-14-2003, 10:21 AM
OK... I was curious. From just skimming the information on that site, I think this is a company that works as a middleman between artists and buyers of art for commercial purposes (from giclees, to calendars and T-shirts). It also seems to have a set-up for selling an artist's original works, but, again, they are going to make a profit on that also.

From that site:
"Spiral is a licensing, publishing and distributing company. We search for you on demand and scout around the world to find worlds best art!...

For our licensing clients (manufacturers) we seek the trendy art that the retailers want. They will send us their trend reports and we, together with our scouts around the world provide exactly what is needed.
For our distributors we produce high quality giclee reproductions for an affordable price. The high end retailers sell the products world wide
For the galleries we have unique fresh original artwork that you can only get here.

We put our manufacturers and our retailers in contact with each other if needed. So we do not only provide the art, we also bring clients!"
---------------------------

The costs to the artist are confusing and complicated, but I found this:

"Our Artist Listing is a unique listing where potential licensing artists showcase themselves and their art. We charge an annual fee to the artist of $49.95/yr USD which is reimbursed when licensed through this service. For this fee the artist receives,

* A showcase listing with a link to

* An individual page including an artist reference number, a statement and a set amount of 8 images showing the artist work.

* Full reimbursement of the last paid annual fee if the artwork is licensed through this Service.

When the manufacturer is interested in pursuing the rights to an artists work they will fill out a form or send an email which will be coming to us. A potential deal will be proposed to the artist immediately and the last paid annual fee will be reimbursed to the artist when the deal is signed."

-----------------------
Concerning further costs, if a customer is interested in purchasing usage rights for an image of an original art work (for use on calendars, etc.), the artist must supply one of the following... all more money and paid for by the artist.

"If a licensing deal is in process we need to receive either
4x5 or larger Professional Photographic Transparency
A Professional Drum Scan, scanned to final output size.
A high resolution Digital File on CD (300dpi at output size for best results)
The computer files should be saved as Title.tif, Title.psd or Title.jpeg"

In my rural town, that 4x5 professional transparency runs $75. A high quality drum scan (color corrected), say for a 12X18 calendar or poster, runs $200-plus... and you must give scanner company a professionally shot transparency or slide to scan. In other words, this is no home-shot, digital camera stuff!
---------------------------

Hope this helps... Nance

pampe
12-14-2003, 10:52 AM
I get several emails a week like this

Let us know what you find out....but I imagine it is a "non-value-added" middle man

Artori
12-14-2003, 04:48 PM
You found out all this info just skimming:clap: I don't know if if it sounds right for me. I don't think I'm going to deal with it anymore because selling my art to put on mugs and calendars isn't where I'm coming from yet!! And all the rest sounds like money out nothing in.

Thanks for taking some of the pressure off. I kept feeling like I should check it out but I could never find the time.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. JoyJoyJoy

Can you tell I love your Handle.