PDA

View Full Version : painting over oil pastels

IndigoRed
12-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Ok i couldnt find this certain subject in any posts, or in the post it for oil pastels, if its there then i missed it and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

i am really into oil pastels now, even found (what i think anyways) one of the best supports to use for oil pastels to keep damage to a very very low minimum.........Ampersands pastel board with the use of color shapers.

im really a monochrome type of gal............but i would like to add color to my paintings but im so used to doing the old master way of painting but have yet to test anything as far as glazing or anything like that over greyscale oil pastel paintings. is there any medium that would be good to do this with over caran d'ache oil pastels??? im still useing soft pastels and pastel pencils but i find that oil pastels fills the void i miss with oil paints, but everyone that uses oil pastels knows that these never dry out so how can i add color to a greyscale painting??

any ideas, advice etc???

thank bunches

Steph

Dyin
12-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Well, I couldn't get OP's to cover...they pick up the under painting and it's a no no to apply oils over OPs...because they don't dry and the oils do..eventually you'll have cracking and possible flaking. There's also the problem of making other mediums 'stick'. If you figure out something...let us know! I've thought of using inks but there's the water and oil thing...good luck!

Mo.
12-14-2003, 12:08 PM
im really a monochrome type of gal............but i would like to add color to my paintings but im so used to doing the old master way of painting but have yet to test anything as far as glazing or anything like that over greyscale oil pastel paintings. is there any medium that would be good to do this with over caran d'ache oil pastels??? im still useing soft pastels and pastel pencils but i find that oil pastels fills the void i miss with oil paints, but everyone that uses oil pastels knows that these never dry out so how can i add color to a greyscale painting??

Yes you can apply glazes over OP's, I have done so in my Swan painting and my Johnny Depp painting, but make sure your painting is really hard and firm berfore doing so, other than that start off just using glazes, and build up that way, it is possible, an experiment I'm still working on, check out my other thread here,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152265

I understand about the oil painting void :D OP's are a kind of substitute, but cannot really compare, I'll keep experimenting, hope you will too, and show us your results.

Mo.:)