PDA

View Full Version : Any final suggestions? Lady in tub To be named: Take me away

Luvy
07-27-2001, 03:15 PM
Ok I think I'm done unless anyone has any comments on something I need to do. I'm uploading two pictures one close up. Hope this helps in evaulating it.

close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2001/tubladycl.jpg

jheinrich
07-27-2001, 05:23 PM
I think the title should be somthing else. "Take Me Away" reminds me too much of that Calgon slogan ... anyone else remember that? :evil:

Perhaps "Afternoon Alone" or something :confused:

I think this piece might benefit from a stronger light source, and a less centered composition, but whatta I know ...

if it were me, I'd be drinking out of the bottle (merlot only, lol);)

cheers,
j*

dornberg
07-27-2001, 10:00 PM
i like the subtle changes in the blueoish greens
and in the pinks
i think you sucessfully added the colors and reflections of water and its surroundings

Luvy
07-27-2001, 10:35 PM
Thanks Dornberg for your comments. I'm hoping I'm done. I'm not real good with shadow so If you see where I could improve with more shadows I'd appreciate the help. *S*

Thanks Jheinrich for your comments.

TeAnne
07-28-2001, 12:26 AM
I like the idea :) But shouldn't her titties be flopping to the side a bit, cos they seem quite volumptious.

wendee
07-28-2001, 12:45 AM
LOL TeAnne...I agree with TeAnne about the boobs...also the arm holding the glass seems to be a bit strange....dont know if it's just me.... :D :D

Victor
07-28-2001, 08:02 AM
OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh TeAnne, I'm shocked LOL. but you are right of course. I also think that the lack of a recognised light source is making the painting too washed out. You fixed up the perspective a treat though. A good try but you can't win them all and I should know, I have a pile of failures so don't take too much notice of me :)

SDavy
07-29-2001, 10:45 AM
I agree with everyone about the light source, but then again, it seems you're not looking for realism...Maybe if you created more contrast- ad darks- the plane, amybe the water, that would be a solution to creating more contrast if you feel uncomfortable or unsure about getting a specific light source right. I have come
to like the composition. MAybe she could havedeep red wine in her glass? It would make a nice comlement to the greens and blues.The frame of the windows might be darker to. I think Creating more dark and light space would make it much more interesting, because, as someone said, the tone is all similar. What do you think?
It's a very interesting piece- and I agreee about the title. aybe be more specific in what she is thinking about. As you paint her, Iam sure you get to know her. Give the title something that is her secret, and I think it will immediately become more interesting. Just me...what do I know?
Stephanie

everetto
07-29-2001, 02:18 PM
This is only a matter of personal taste, but I despise that oh-so-commercially-common matching colored bathroom decor.

The anatomy of the figure is not convincing, including where we are to imagine the leg meets the torso and the foot- In a situation like this, you should always draw the entire figure first to get a grasp of how that figure really connects in that position.

These comments are not intended to discourage, but to inspire you. Keep painting, and try to buy as many books on artists that you can. This painting reminded me a little of Balthus (no pun intended).

Christie
07-29-2001, 03:03 PM
This is where I would love to be, but in my house there would be a small child or a dog right there needing something. ;)

I like the relaxation that you have shown. It is obviously a well deserved break that she is taking.

Luvy
07-29-2001, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments *S* I'll take them under advisement *S* HEE HEE Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Everetto, I did draw the body out before I painted it in. If you would have seen my first post of this when I had it umbered in you would have seen that. And for the decor of the bathroom, sorry that's just me. I'm a very co-ordinated person. My earrings even match my bathing suits. LOL *S* But guess I just have to ditch this one, it appears it's not well received *S* I personally didn't think it was too bad for my first nude. But then I'm the newbie LOL

I've only been painting since January of this year and I'm lucky to get what I'm getting out of my paintings. I'm self teaching and I have bought several books and have even joined an art book club. Plus I've bought a couple issues of Artists magazine and The Artist Magazine.

Maybe I just don't have what it takes. I have a lot of trouble figuring out light source obviously, I add shadows but never enough. I'd like to thank you all for the ideas and comments though. Maybe I'll keep trying and things will finally hit home.

SDavy
07-30-2001, 12:48 AM
I think this painting has really interesting potential- don't dump it! Being
self-taught is something to be really proud of!
Training yourself to see and translate ain't easy-we all know that.
Of course you have what it takes!
Does it make you happy? Do you need to paint? Betcha said yes-
then you have what it takes,. Make a vision your own, and draw and paint
as much as you can-that's the ticket to improving!
Keep at it and don't get discouraged- everyone has different tastes.
likes and dislikes- and every artist has an ego...so don't let any of it
get you down! Show us more! And for your first nude
it is a really good start!
Stephanie

Christie
07-30-2001, 12:52 AM
Don't get rid of it! For someone who has been painting for such a short time, it is a good piece. Keep it and then look back at it in a year or two so you can see what you have learned.

As for having what it takes. no one can really decide that except you, so keep trying and learning. It should never stop being tough to do a good piece of art. When things become too easy, it is time to try something new!

Victor
07-30-2001, 02:55 AM
We all have our failures leaning against the wall ready to be re painted one day but we don't give up. Its all valuable experience and very often the paintings that didn't quite work out are more important than the ones that did because we learn from our mistakes. As a first nude painting its very good and much better than I could have done. Keep at it and try different subjects because you have got what it takes.

Vic..

wendee
07-30-2001, 05:57 AM
the above posts are right..dont give up...I started painting 16 months ago ..self taught also ..it is very hard to paint without any help...but you Have LOTS of help here in wetcanvas..everyone is willing to give you any advice you might need...just ask..

I have not even tried to do a nude cause to me that would be too hard at the moment...but hey one day i might...Victor gave some good advice ..try painting something easier that you might like to do....Anyway hang in there it does get better..:D :D :D

mame
07-30-2001, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Luvy
Thanks everyone for your comments *S* I'll take them under advisement *S* HEE HEE Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Everetto, I did draw the body out before I painted it in. If you would have seen my first post of this when I had it umbered in you would have seen that. And for the decor of the bathroom, sorry that's just me. I'm a very co-ordinated person. My earrings even match my bathing suits. LOL *S* But guess I just have to ditch this one, it appears it's not well received *S* I personally didn't think it was too bad for my first nude. But then I'm the newbie LOL

I've only been painting since January of this year and I'm lucky to get what I'm getting out of my paintings. I'm self teaching and I have bought several books and have even joined an art book club. Plus I've bought a couple issues of Artists magazine and The Artist Magazine.

Maybe I just don't have what it takes. I have a lot of trouble figuring out light source obviously, I add shadows but never enough. I'd like to thank you all for the ideas and comments though. Maybe I'll keep trying and things will finally hit home.

Figures are the most difficult to render convincingly - even if your intent is expressionism. Save them for down the road.

A great way to get a feel for the world around you re painting is still lifes. Eggs are the BEST. Set up a still life of eggs - one or as many as you want and a spot light and really "look" at how the light hits, the curves, the primary and secondary shadows, how it "sits" on the surface, the million different colors "white" makes.

TeAnne
07-30-2001, 04:44 PM
Don't give up!
We all have to start somewhere. I was teaching myself, then I went to University, got taught nothing as far as I'm concerned. Iv'e learnt more here at WC. Hang in there with us and you will shine. HUGZ

Luvy
07-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Hey I'm fine Just decided I really don't need to learn to do nudes anyway *S* Well maybe down the road I might for some reason. *S* Anyway I don't give up easily. I will prevail. I'll keep working hard and practicing and maybe, one day I'll get there. Thanks for all your comments. Watch out I will be back for more *S*