PDA

View Full Version : Monoprint help please

Darlene
10-16-2000, 08:48 AM
I'm doing some experimenting with monoprints in watercolor. I find it I do small ones then the paint is still wet on the plate (I use glass) and I hand transfer to dry paper and I can get some good results. However, for a larger piece where the paint dries before I have completed the design, I let the all the paint dry on the plate and then transfer using moist paper. This is where I run into big trouble! I am getting very pixelized results - that is the paint is absorbed in tiny, tiny spots. I have tried wetting the paper afterwards to soften the paint in hopes of blending it but that is not working either. I hope you know what I mean, it is hard to describe. I am using Winsor & Newton 140 lb. rough. Do you think that is the problem? Would a smoother paper work better? Anyone with experience here, please help?

oleCC
10-16-2000, 01:24 PM
Darlene...please indulge me a bit here..I am confused. First, why are you painting on glass if you are transfering to paper? Guess I am just not familiar with this process.
It would seem to me that rough paper could be the problem with the dot look.. maybe hot press paper would be better if you are using glass first eh? I am anxious to know more about this ... you have me really curious!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

Harra
10-16-2000, 04:42 PM
Well, I shouldn't be responding, cuz I haven't ACTUALLY done a monoprint, but several colleages do them a lot, and have patiently described the process to me every time I say "I've GOT to try that!!". They do let the paint dry on the plexiglas (note: plexi is sanded until not shiny anymore, plus the corners blunted).

THen they use cold press or hot press (haven't seen rough) very well soaked (more than just moist, I believe). Finally they use grandma's pie-crust roller as a press.

I'd try the smoother paper, and see if you have a bit of plexiglass around to try instead of the glass.

sassybird
10-16-2000, 08:47 PM
Darlene,
I have done a lot of monoprints, but I have done them on a flat bed press for the transfer of the image to paper.

I always let my paper soak then blot it with a rolling pin between two blotting sheets.
I have never tried printing with the paint wet on my plexi.

Also in working with plexi it is fun to experiment on it before sanding too. You get some neat effects that way. I do, however, sand mine for most of my work in monoprints.

I also don't use watercolor paper for monoprints. I use various printmaking papers.

------------------
sass

VictoriaS
10-17-2000, 01:02 PM
Could somebody please post one? This sounds intriguing, and I don't think I've ever seen one.

Thanks.

Darlene
10-17-2000, 01:13 PM
One of my recent posts "Ghost Tree" was a monoprint. Look in the critique discussions. If I could remember how I would post it here for you. As well, Rita Monaco posted one recently, titled "Leisure - monoprint" I think. Look for that. Sassybird, do you have any you can post?

[This message has been edited by Darlene (edited October 17, 2000).]

sassybird
10-17-2000, 07:52 PM
Darlene I no longer have a scanner to post my work through nor do I have a digital camera. I only have one piece posted and that is about page 14 or so back on the critique forum. That piece was a watercolor.

------------------
sass

pixelscapes
10-17-2000, 10:43 PM
Darlene,
I think the smooth paper would help you a lot, yeah.

I haven't made watercolor monoprints specifically, but, have you considered giving the dried paint on the plexi a light spritz prior to putting moistened paper down? I think that could soften the paint up enough to make the transfer. Also, make sure you rub the paper down thoroughly, soak up as much of that paint as you can. I'd suggest using the back of a large spoon, or a baren.

Hope this helps!

-=- Jen "Monomania" de la Cruz
http://www.Pixelscapes.com and http://www.BewareofArt.com

catjoe
10-18-2000, 12:06 AM
Hi Darlene, I'm so glad you brought up monoprints with watercolors. I belong to an art league in my county and several members create monoprints using oil paint. They are really lovely, but since I work (at least at this time) with watercolors, I thought I couldn't attempt it. I am so glad to hear some of the hints that others gave on how to achieve results with watercolors. This is a good example of why I read these posts everyday. Thanks all!

msue
10-19-2000, 10:15 PM
Being very familiar with rough paper I would say that is your whole problem. It has too many dimples and the paint is prevented from being absorbed into the entire surface. Printmaking paper or hot press are your best bets.