Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Picture of my girlfriend.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just looking for some opinions.

coyote
12-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Nicholas! So glad to see you jumping right in and posting this. :clap:
Nicholas submitted this drawing for inclusion on the art page that I write for our local newspaper, and it will be featured in the January issue.
I never critique the work sent in by young artists for the paper, but simply encourage them to show their work. Usually it's cars and monsters and popular cartoon characters, so I was very pleased to see this serious attempt at portraiture.
That said, this is a different forum and I can point out a few things. I've never seen Stephanie so I don't know about the likeness. The basic structure and proportions are very well done, and I like the over-the-shoulder gesture. The angle of the chin seems off. The line of the eyes looks right, but the eyes themselves are too small...rule of thumb is one eye width between the eyes. The shoulder looks like an afterthought just to get it done. More structure should be evident in the ear. The masses and shading in the hair are good, but it makes me want to see more care taken in shading the face. One thing that you'll hear a lot around here is "more contrast"...don't be afraid of the darks.
Overall, this is an excellent drawing. I look forward seeing more from you. :cool:

Rosic
12-12-2003, 05:37 PM
NBrockman...
Nice work and you sure have a pretty girlfriend. What did she think of your drawing? I commend you also for jumping right in by posting and asking for honest critiques... to which Todd gave you one worthy of looking into. More contrast and giving a true form to the ear are ways to make this one better with little effort. Keep up the great work and keep posting. I think the story behind the piece and how you and Todd tie in are great! How long have you been drawing?
Rosic

Luana
12-12-2003, 06:57 PM
I agree with what coyote and rosic had to say. the only thing I would add is that I think (again I have not seen your girlfriend either) is that the ear looks very elongated, almost elf like. Otherwise good for you. I personally have a hard time showing my stuff, because to me I may like it but I am terrified of what other people will say. I was very pleased by the responses I received and I hope you will be too. Good Luck and keep trying you show a lot of talent. ;)

jetulb
12-12-2003, 07:37 PM
I think the half-tones of the subject are too light for the dark background. I would also suggest that the shoulder area be defined a little bit more. The solid roundness of it seems a little unnatural. The face and hair are very nice and you definitely captured a personality.

- Jetulb

NBrockman
12-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Thank You, I'll give the shoulder more form. I've been drawing for about 2 years. Her ear does look funny but thats how it is no joke ;) . I'll try to get more contrast in the whole picture too but she is very light skin-toned so I can't really shade her skin in as well. My biggest problem was the original picture I've attached, the flash was used, its a cheapo camera, and just basically it was not a good pic at all. It was the gesture that convinced me I needed to do it for a xmas gift for her though. I usually do my projects at my HS Art Class but I really did it all at home independantly, except when I brought it to the class to be critiqued. Of course the other students critique so they get as far as I do :) . I'll work on that ear I think I have it wrong after all. Heres some pics of her to see what she looks like.

Rosic
12-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Luana
I personally have a hard time showing my stuff, because to me I may like it but I am terrified of what other people will say.

Luana...
Jump in... the waters fine!
Don't be afraid to post your work... you have such a valuable resource with the artist here at WC. They can share honest critiques and experiences with you that will take your artwork to a higher level. Never be afraid to post or ask for honest critiques. You will find you have the opportunity to cultivate some great friendships here. BTW... Welcome to WC!:D

NBrockman...
Tough photo to work from... you have really done an exceptional job considering that. My suggestion would be to take a close-up photo (without flash) outdoors in natural light of your girlfriend's ear and go at it from there.
Even in a bad photo she's still pretty!;)

VanGoghsEar
12-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Good job so far Nicolas, just get some darker/softer pencils and add some more shading. Don't think you need another photo, you could convert this to greyscale and change the lighting. If you can't do this let me know and I'll do it for you.

EJ

VanGoghsEar
12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Decided to do that for you to save you the trouble, hope that helps.

NBrockman
12-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Helps a lot thanks. I just don't want her too dark because she is has very naturally light skin.

israelyang
12-31-2003, 02:24 AM
Hi NBrockman
Even though your Stephanie has very naturally light skin, it might be helpful to use a lighter value for her skin, this way you can leave the pure white for highlight. Right now, since there is no value variation and only outline, her face does not seem 3d.

artbabe21
12-31-2003, 02:53 PM
Very pretty girl in a terrific pose...with some tweaking you will get it. Drawing is learning to see so having the best reference possible helps the artists out a heck of a lot! :) Don't forget to round out /fill out that chin.

NBrockman
12-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Thank you for yor suggestions. She really liked it for her Xmas present. Her mom was really surprised excited over it..lol.

Right now I'm just trying to practice, practice and practice. :D