PDA

View Full Version : Layering on hot-pressed!

JaneS
07-26-2001, 11:48 PM
I really had to adjust my techniques with hot-pressed, and liked what I discovered. ...building volume with overlapping planes of color is a blast! A friend and I put together this set-up.
---Jane

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2001/fruitbowl3.JPG

Ceu
07-27-2001, 12:03 AM
nice work , between the two of you :clap:

TeAnne
07-27-2001, 12:29 AM
YUMMY, yes, this works for me. :evil:

pampe
07-27-2001, 01:07 AM
Would you say a little more about what you did....I usually use CP and the few times I have tried HP (other than for pen and ink) I found it unforgiving and non-cooperative.

Would love to hear your techniques!

jerryW
07-27-2001, 08:51 AM
I would have guessed watercolor
it has a strong illustrative style.

JaneS
07-27-2001, 09:52 AM
TY Jerry, Ceu, Teanne

Pampe, As the Hot-pressed is smoother than Cold-pressed, less "spongier", and the paint slides easily and seems to dry faster and is less controllable in regards to blending colors wet on wet on the paper, I painted this by laying down a light wash, letting it dry completely, and then laying down a very slightly darker wash, leaving just a sliver of the earlier wash showing. The orange has about 8 washes put on in that way. Each wash has very distinct edges, but when you get them all together, they blend visually and can give a very solid 3D effect. Working in this way, I find you can be VERY controlled with hot-pressed. However, I also like hot-pressed for when I want a very uncontrolled, more expressive washy look, as in figurative watercolors.

btw.. the background of this I really have never liked. What went wrong? lol

Dave Carter
07-27-2001, 10:26 AM
Acrylics also can be used on HP to good effect.

JeanineJ
07-27-2001, 10:58 AM
A "happy" still life! Beautifully rendered... I would like to see the pear to right of bowl moved a little forward and to the left to cross in front of the bowl... Just nit-picking a strong work!

geckonia
07-27-2001, 11:42 AM
You don't like the background? Maybe it needs some highlights for a little more contrast? Or maybe it should be less linear and defined? You inspired me to try this technique! Thanks!:)

pampe
07-27-2001, 05:00 PM
thanks, Jane

there's that dang CONTROL word again:D

Javier
07-29-2001, 04:06 AM
Jane, I like your painting, but am fascinated by the technique. Bravo.

On the background -- the windowpane is missing, if you put the glass in the window the eye will not want to go there (to the trees).

The Best,

JaneS
07-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Dave - Altho this is watercolor, I love using acrylics in this way and have only started using acrylics this winter! Actually, they work even better for layering like this because the colors underneath don't "lift".

Jeanine - I agree ;) ty

Geckonia- yep, less would be more.

Pampe - even my uncontrolled is actually alot more controlled than I like to admit.....lol

Javier - What do you mean the windowpane is missing? Can you elaborate? ...the more I look at this, the more I think what that background really needs is to be just uniformly darkish, obscuring the trees, which to me are distracting and not supportive of the fruit.