PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bleepin' ebay!

madmum
12-12-2003, 11:59 AM
When I search 4wc my auction is showing in the FP's but more often than not it shows no bids, in spite of the fact that it has had a bid since early this morning! Don't people look more when there are bids?

How many more glitches are there on ebay?

Ruth

kiwicockatoo
12-12-2003, 12:04 PM
It's showing up as having a bid for me. What a beautiful painting!

I mentioned this to Arlene before - I think ebay's database is just getting so increadibly huge that it just doesn't work as smoothly as it should. There are a mind-boggling amount of items up for sale. This would be so frustrating if a bid was not showing up. I find having a bid gives other bidders incentive!

madmum
12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Thankyou! :)

It's funny, one minute the bid doesn't show on the search page, then I refresh and there it is! I agree, seeing a bid does seem to give others a bit of a push ;)

Ruth

jocelynsart
12-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi madmum: Could it be maybe that your computer is giving you an older cached copy of the page, from before there was a bid? Others searching probably are getting the up to date page.
Joss

madmum
12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Joss, I wish that was the case, but the bid has vanished again! :crying: Just over an hour left.

Just refreshed twice and the bid is back again - how many buyers refresh constantly?

Ruth

madmum
12-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Just noticed it isn't just my auction that's affected. Julie's auction has 6 bids but only 3 are showing on the search page (intermittently), really annoying!

yeepers
12-12-2003, 04:41 PM
The search page is always delayed compared to the actual listing page or your eBay admin panel.

vklum
12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Sounds like eBay has a server that's not updating. Where I used to work, our site was served by (at that time) three servers. Servers will cache a page for much the same reason our browsers do...so that the pages get served faster.

Generally, servers are set to "refresh" (clear out the cached pages) every n hours (or minutes even).

So, long story short, you probably are hitting the servers that have updated/refreshed some of the time, and hitting the server(s) that haven't updated/refreshed the other times (when you're not seeing the new bids).

You might want to report that to the tech support at eBay...

edited to add: In case anyone's interested...the reason a larger site like eBay is served by multiple servers is to spread the load...no one server could possibly handle the amount of traffic eBay gets in a day, so they spread the traffic load out.

surreal
12-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by yeepers
The search page is always delayed compared to the actual listing page or your eBay admin panel.

I find this to be true as well!

I notice that you don't have any items for sale now Ruth!

madmum
12-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Victoria, that's a really useful piece of information, thank you!

Nina, you're right, I'm going to rest over Christmas and start again in early January. Hopefully I'll get a few paintings done in the next 2 weeks so I have a start for listings! Although I might just open a shop before Christmas so I'm at least there. Hmmmmm.

Ruth

kiwicockatoo
12-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Ruth, my dad had a similar problem. When he was browsing the pages that came up were always out of date. Every time! Every new page he looked at he had to manually refresh. This got to be very tedious - especially since he was on dial up. Now maybe it's his lousy server. I'll have to ask him if he ever fixed this problem. This bugs me, because you never know when a potential buyer will not bid due to some wierd computer glitch down the line.