PDA

View Full Version : my little part against ebay fraud

fractalfingers
12-12-2003, 01:47 AM
Just sharing this because it was pretty amusing. Lots of us have probably seen or are at least aware of the large number of forgeries on ebay.. at any given time you can find a handful of Jackson Pollocks for sale, non of which are recorded in the raison, which doesn't mean they arn't authentic.. but I'm guessing that only a small handful of the thousands that have been sold are legit.. some forgeries are quite obvious..

anyway.. I noticed a work being offered by an artist that I know quite a bit about, enough to know that it was not his work.. I don't wish to say which artist, There were about 5 different reasons each of which alone would have been conclusive to make the judgement.. I e-mailed the seller, anyway, he never e-mailed me back, however he pulled the auction. It's possible he was niave, and possible he knew it was fake.. but either way, I feel good about preventing another victom from paying $10,000 for a forgery... I see hundreds of suspect paintings, but this is the first one from an artist I am sort of an expert on and was flawed so significantly I could make a conclusive decision to act on with out a risk of error.

anyway.. just an interesting ebay story from last night.

surreal
12-13-2003, 11:12 AM
I applaud the action you took!

arlene
12-13-2003, 12:55 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: