PDA

View Full Version : Doodle: Self-Portrait

Joi
12-11-2003, 10:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2003/15254_selfportrait.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Doodle: Self-Portrait
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a few months old. It is different from what I usually upload, but I thought I would go ahead with it anyway. It is a self-portrait, but deals with my daily doodles (which you can see as black line drawings...didn't show up well in the photo) and creative thoughts, layering on top of eachother until they become muddled. I don't expect everything to make sense.

The portrait intentionally isn't exactly flattering, and I have since cut my hair a bit.
I wanted to look intense and lost in thought.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

mcknight
12-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Really interesting stuff. I guess you're messing with yourself and your connection with your output (i.e. the doodles, traffic lights). I like how the arrow brings that oval shape back around. I'll have to come back and look again.

HRobinson
12-11-2003, 11:11 PM
To see this side of you is a real pleasure and you have proved yourself to be a world class artist. Who knew you could be that adorable to boot? :)

-Harry

jerryW
12-12-2003, 06:20 AM
love the way you are hanging the clothing and collars from the neck and shoulders.
real insight there.
great movement
what is the arrow for - oh yeah - doodle.
but hey this rocks.
the bkgnd has the city scape shapes
walk away or more contrast?
a fun thing to do.

Rabbit Twilight
12-12-2003, 09:51 AM
I think it's great!

giniaad
12-12-2003, 10:20 AM
colorful
imaginative
well executed
meaningful-fun

(certainly flattering enough)

me likes a bunch!

pero lane
12-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Imaginative...I like!:)

capricorne
12-13-2003, 12:10 PM
I like this.

jerryW
12-13-2003, 12:21 PM
now I see the r.crumb like doodlies in the dark area

mfoxmelanson
12-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I like the movement and transparency.

M.

LilKitten
12-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Very intense. I am reminded of Norman Rockwell's self-portrait of him with the pipe in front of the mirror. It tells a story, and it not merely a well-executed piece of artwork.

lilkitten the portrait liking kitten

andyvry
12-14-2003, 11:31 AM
very intense.................

a picture to revel in........... for me, that is. It all looks so natural..... nothing forced, yeah?

I look at this picture and think, I want to go paint :D

andy.

Joi
12-14-2003, 10:51 PM
mcknight> You got the idea :) Thanks for commenting!

HRobinson> Thank you. I thought it was about time I put up a self portrait. Adorable? I don't know about that :o

jerryW> Thanks. I debated whether or not to add more depth to the background...this balances between dimension and flatness...the drawings purposely flatten the space.

Rabbit Twilight> :D

giniaad> Thank you. I found it to be a definant worth-while exercise. I would like to do more like this, but don't want to force something that needs to flow.

pero lane> Thanks!

capricorne> Glad you like :)

mfoxmelanson> Thank you.

LilKitten> Ah, I know which piece you are talking about...that one makes me smile. :D

andyvry> Thank you! Yes, nothing forced, just letting my brain move from one idea to another with ease, not feeling constrained by one thing or another...yet bringing it full circle in the end.
Go paint! ;)

RedRum
12-14-2003, 11:44 PM
When I look at this, I see what we all do as artists. We see things around us, we filter them through the stuff behind our eyes, then we translate it visually. By doing this, we put our "stamp" on things... but they also put their stamp on us. We go through the world looking harder at things and thinking harder about things than other people. I guess that's what makes us a little different.

painter1960
12-15-2003, 11:46 AM
A doodle!! For crying out loud I'd be happy to "doodle" like this!! Nice work.

artbabe21
12-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by painter1960
A doodle!! For crying out loud I'd be happy to "doodle" like this!! Nice work.

Bobby said it!! lol.....this is quite appealing....watching your depiction of your creative thought process...you look over the rainbow lost in thought!! :) terrific!

Joi
12-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Thank you for your much appreciated comments RedRum, painter1960, and artbabe21 :D