PDA

View Full Version : Unison Pastel Paper

Kathryn Wilson
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
I was just visiting a web site looking for some prices on pastels and found that they had a pastel paper I had not heard anyone mention before - Unison Pastel Paper.

Has anyone used this and what was your opinion.

Here is the web site in case you are interested. They had alot of different papers I have not seen all together on one site. Velour paper in pads, Canson boards, suede mat board, etc.

www.fineartstore.com

They are in Rochester, New York and their selection of pastels is good, but a bit pricey on some brands.

bnoonan
12-11-2003, 08:04 PM
never heard of this - can't wait to see who has and who's tried it.

Barb

jackiesimmonds
12-12-2003, 04:49 AM
I am not sure they have it right - I couldn't find it on their site, but since I live in the UK, I will call Unison and find out if they have a special pastel paper. I would be most surprised if they do - their wholebusiness revolves around making pastels, not paper.

Incidentally, although I could not find the pastel paper on that link, (didn't look hard, mind you - just could not find anything obvious) I did find this box. Thought it was rather good, till I looked at the price.

It occurs to me, that it would not be difficult to make something similar, for a lot less money. It is, in effect, a camera tripod easel, and the bit that usually attaches to the camera, is attached to the box instead. Anyone good with a screwdriver, could make this! Wish I was.
http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=12329&idp=2&his=0|2&cart_id=9859924.2368

Will come back to you about the Unison paper, when they open up.

J

jackiesimmonds
12-12-2003, 05:04 AM
aha - well, I found the pic on the website, and lo and behold, there is an obvious watermark at the bottom of the sheet, which says "Somerset", which is a make of paper, produced here in the UK by a well known paper manufacturer called St. Cuthberts Mill. I will investigate further, but I suspect this is, quite simply, Somerset Velvet, which I have used for pastelling for some time now, having been asked to test it some time ago (I think I was the first person to test it for pastelling), and I liked the surface.

It has good pastel gripping qualities, but if it IS the range I am thinking of, it was originally a paper produced for printmaking purposes, it is not a purpose-made pastel paper with any kind of abrasive surface. It just so happens that it works well with pastels, and so they decided to market it as such.

However, wait for the next installment folks.

bcraver
12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
I have ordered that "Unison" paper, and it does have the Somerset watermark. Don't know why Rochester Art Store sells it like that. As Jakki said, it is nice, no laid (stamped) texture, but seems almost felted, so lots of fibers to hold dust. Its fairly thick compared to Canson.

Barbara