PDA

View Full Version : I guess it's time to show

galia
12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi guys,
I've tried it once but kept being rejected by WC so let see if i got it right this time round.
I've been visiting the technical forum quite a bit but it's the first time for me to show some beads I'v made. I would like to know what you think of them. I've had lots of fun making them but i have no way of looking at them impartialy. so..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2003/30495-several_beads.jpg

DonnaBee
12-11-2003, 08:13 PM
They are beautiful!

Your joy with the glass shows.

ValorieCox
12-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Galia, I think they look great! These are the abstract patterns and colors I so adore. I just wish the photo was a little larger so I could really get in a see the details. So glad you took the time to start a thread and show off your work a bit. It's scary the first time, but before you know it, you'll get lots of encouragement and suggestions, then you'll be a regular show and tell contributor! :)

Val

Alan Cross
12-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Galia good job
Alan :)

latitude40
12-12-2003, 12:55 AM
:clap: Hey, those are really nice Galia! You are getting a nice round shape as opposed to donut-shaped. I think that's tough to do.
Also your organic swirls are lovely. The caramely brown one and the red one are my favorites.
Are you working on a HH with moretti?

Karen

galia
12-12-2003, 04:54 AM
I just wish the photo was a little larger so I could really get in a see the details.

Val, I tried so hard to put this pic into the uploader and i had to keep reducing its size and only at this one, it was kind enough to take it up. i wish i could have it bigger cause the photo really does not do any justice to the beads.

Are you working on a HH with moretti?
Karen
I actually use a minor and bullseye glass. i really wanted to know why so many of you use moretti when you bullseye is so much easy to work with? here in Israel the bullseye is bit more expensive but i still prefer them. especially the transparent, they are so clear, really transparent, even the big ones.

And I want to thank you all so much, it is really to an encouragement to keep doing it. thank you, guys
galia

latitude40
12-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Galia, I thought I remembered you were actually in Israel. Some people use the country icon to denote their heritage rather than their actual location. I'd like to know more about beadmaking there. Are you networked with other glass beadmakers? How did you get started....did you take a class or teach yourself? Can you buy locally or do you have to mail order many of your supplies?

I use Moretti because my kit came with it, my first class used it , and my local glass shop carries a small selection so it is easiest to acquire. And it , along with Vetrofond, is the cheapest.
But the second class I took used narrow strips of Bullseye. We had no trouble getting fairly large beads on MAPP canisters and I thought it was easy to work with. I tried a peridot green an an emerald green transparent that were so beautiful and clear!
After the holidays I want to order Bullseye and work with it more. Do you use rods or strips?

thanks for sharing!
Karen

galia
12-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Karen,
Yes i live in Israel and it is not easy for beadmaking. There is only ONE store in whole country that have glass rods and a few more with fusing supply but not a lot more..... I started on my own and actually i came from fusing and sort of drifted into beading and it is sooooo addictive lol.... I taught myself as there are not many places to study. I learn A LOT from the tutorials on the web and this WC is a treasure. I also bought my first kit from US when i was last there over 6 months ago. anyway there are a few beadmakers here ( i meet them in the only store, buying rods :clap: ) .
All and all it is a rising art in here as in the rest of the world so it's nice seeing all these new glass artist showing in the shops.

dasi11
12-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Nah'em Me'od!!
Mah Shlomcha? Ani Dasi meJacksonville Florida.
Ma'Iyeen at byisro-ayl?
yesh lee harbay mishpacha byisro-al.
lie'la Tov!!!

Artaholic
12-14-2003, 02:27 AM
galia, nice work, especially impressed considering how hard it is to get instructions and glass. Keep up the good work.

Gerry:clap: :clap:

StefaniBeads
12-14-2003, 06:05 AM
I thought your beads were BE, isn't it a wonderful glass to work with? I'm on a HH, it's a little slow so I have to be patient. I will love BE more when I upgrade!

Your beads - Very nice shapes, and I love the organic swirls! :)

galia
12-14-2003, 09:08 AM
and I love the organic swirls!
I have seen this reference to organic a few times and i don't know what it is, so what is it? i actually use in-organic metal salts that i make a past out of, using water and then i rub it on the bead. It gets different colors depending on the type of flame i use. it is much fun and i might put some examples if i can photo them nicely and manage to upload them.
and yes i love BE glass very much. it's not so troublesome like moretti.

Dasi, your hebrew is great! i'm from Hadera but now i live in Rehovot cause i'm finishing my Ph.D. in the weizmann institute. where are your relatives from?

galia

latitude40
12-14-2003, 09:33 AM
I think organic can have multiple meanings, but I interpret it to mean freeform patterns that are random as opposed to controlled like dots or florals. Almost like it is a mysterious gem or stone.
Your metal salt technique sounds very interesting. I'd love to know more about it!!

Karen

rmg
12-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi Galia! we meet on WC before we meet in reality! your beads are great! I'm waiting to see them in person!
lehitraot, Rachelle

galia
12-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Karen,
this is very simple, I started by trying to do iredescent as i like it so much but i couldn't do it and then everybody said it's very unhealthy so i gave it up. BUT being a scientist i guess i couldn't really give it up so i decided to try and use the same salts the ceramics use for their dyes (go to any ceramic store and ask for salts and they will give you and will also tell you what color they give after firing. the whole secret in these salts are the metals that get oxides in the kiln (the heat is enough to cause the chemical reaction) and the oxides are the things that give glass its color. so i use this just as water paste (most of them do not dissolve in water and anyway the past gives it the "organic" nature). than i either blast it with oxy or reduce it for a few second and the colors i get are amazing. i should really post a few better pictures.

galia
12-14-2003, 02:42 PM
I promised I'd try and here goes. hope they will be uploaded and look big enough to see details

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2003/30495-the_twoflats.tif.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2003/30495-3beadsWC1.jpg

latitude40
12-14-2003, 09:50 PM
So you mix salts with water to form a paste, then you roll the molten bead in the paste? Could you not roll the bead in the dry salts, as one might do with frits, enamels or mica dust? Maybe I am misunderstanding, as I'm neither a scientist nor a seasoned beadmaker!
This close-up picture is much better. They are really wonderful beads!

Hello, Rachelle & welcome to WC! :)

Karen

Rubienzo
12-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Galia and Rachelle, I'm glad I finally checked out this showcase. I usually stick to the Technical Forum. I'm amazed to find other beadmakers that know Wet Canvas here in Israel! I'm just outside Jerusalem and would love to talk beads in person for a change. Your work is innovative and beautiful!

rmg
12-16-2003, 04:47 AM
Hi Rubienzo! great to find more Israeli beadmakers! I just left you a private message with my details! hope to meet you and Galia soon!
Rachelle