PDA

View Full Version : Solitutde Tree

rd2ruin
12-11-2003, 04:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2003/17338_tnwintertree.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Solitutde Tree
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just a tree. I love the winter, there's just something awakening about snow, even when it's covering a sleeping tree. That background is s'posed to be water, if you're wondering why the clouds look upside down :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm fairly new to oils, and dont have too many people to gather tips from. If anything stands out that looks off that I'm just not seeing, feel free to share, especially the layout.

Cheers!
- Greg

giniaad
12-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Greetings Greg!

I really like this in general
the layout is very nice

I do have a few nits...
*the upper limb going up to our left
looks too wide
(limbs slender as they go, as you know)
*the blue water is too dark
(no sky brights)
*and the water is too singularly blue
(there are multiple shades in water
creating depth through translucence)

really nice concept...
with a bit more work, will be really great!

mcknight
12-11-2003, 11:34 PM
I agree with Gin that the water is too blue. It also seems a little odd to be looking down on that tree (I assume that's the case since the water goes right to the top. I like how you painted the tree.

mfoxmelanson
12-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Great tree! If you were to do another one, I'd love to see a night sky behind it.

M.

jerryW
12-12-2003, 06:16 AM
I see a tree on a ridge with evening sky and clouds
I think it is a memory tree rather than a living tree because the modelling is more simplistic than the layout.
my comment would be to paint more from life than memory:
nature
still life
models
even photographs.
you are sure to do well with this kind of start

rd2ruin
12-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Looking back, yeah, it is a little (ok, more than a little) blue. It's good to have some extra eyes looking at things. The original ref photo had a deep blue, almost black, water. I chickened out, tho and tried to keep it simple since I'm, well, a simple man LOL

http://www.bigfoto.com/sites/galery/photos16/tree_lake.jpg
Note, this gentleman has let me use his photos, lest anyone's concerned I'm stealing images off the Internet.

Thanks all for your advice and letting me tip toe into the Critique Forum unscathed :)

Cheers!
- Greg

bnoonan
12-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Oh Greg... do I have to leave you unscathed? Oh darn - it's what I live for - giving you a hard time.... I've missed you so.

Nicely done. Can't say I agree with your love of the winter white stuff. Think I'll settle for sand instead.

Glad to see you're getting along in other mediums as well as you did in pastels.

Cheers! Barb