PDA

View Full Version : First auction problems

okdave
12-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Greetings,
Yesterday I submitted my first eBay auction. Things look fine except the gallery image and the image at the top of my auction page near the title are jagged. I submitted a 96x96 for the gallery image and see that it got resized to 64x64. But why is it jagged?
The top image must be jagged because I don't have the correct width to height ratio in the large image I submitted (the bottom one). Should it be 3:4 or 4:3?
Also, does the Andale counter count my visits to the page? On a couple of my visits it didn't increase. One time it did (was it me or another visitor?). Some counters know who the owner is and don't count their visits.
I tried the link below in the preview and got a page not found. Don't know why, I copied it from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&category=20158&item=3644797548

Lady Rando
12-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Not sure why your pics are jagged but I do know that Andale does not count your visits.

pampe
12-11-2003, 02:44 PM
If we could see your auction, we might be able to help figure it out

LINK??

Antoine
12-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Your link doesn't seem to be working. I found you on you item number. Your auction is at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3644797548

My top images also comes out a little blurry, but yours doesn't look to bad on my screen.

I’m also pretty sure that Andale does not count your visits, but Sellathon does.
What I would suggest is that you use more words in your title. A lot of people find auctions by search words. You have 45 characters to use in your main title and you are only using 24.

Antoine
12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by okdave
I submitted a 96x96 for the gallery image and see that it got resized to 64x64

This is interesting when I look at the image properties its saying "64x64 pixels" but if I safe the image on my harddrive and the check from there... it is 96 x 96 pixels?? strange...

arlene
12-11-2003, 05:31 PM
that is weird...you need to put more search words in your title. Also you have a reserve...how about putting that amount in your description.

as for title? Abstract Pop Art Painting DaveJ 4WC

ElizaLeahy
12-12-2003, 02:49 AM
The pictures are looking fine on my screen, but YES you need to change your title right away. That is how people find you and so you have to put as many search terms in there as possible. Do it now, before you get a bid!

Also, if you can show a picture of a 3/4 side view and also show the painting in a room setting it helps people visualise it better.

JoyJoyJoy
12-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Don't sweat the Andale counts... Andale is very unreliable and I pay no attention to them.

Your auction pictures come across here very crisp, clear, bright colors. I would not worry about a gallery picture coming out great. First of all, people just skim those gallery pics, and I think they open art auctions based more on what attracts them in the colors, styles, etc. that they are interested in (not because of the clarity of the gallery picture). Secondly, I have attempted to put similar pieces on eBay, strong graphics with lines. The gallery pics always look terrible. I think the amount of information in that tiny pic is not enough to hold the lines well and cleanly. Nothing we can do about it.

And... totally agree with the need to change your auction listing line to include all the possible search words you can fit. Ebay customers are trying to sort through thousands of auctions, and search words (in the auction listing lines) are often the only way they have to find our work if we are not well-known.

Nance

okdave
12-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the answers to my Andale question. Sometime when I visit the page the counter is showing and sometimes "Thank for looking" is there instead. Is that a random thing?
There is a "?" missing from the URL in my original message, so that problem is solved. Wonder where that went.
Considering the suggestions for more title information. Arlene suggested using "Pop Art" so I looked up a definition on "artcyclopedia.com".
"Pop Art is a style of art which explores the everyday imagery which is part of comtemporary consumer culture. Common sources include advertisements, consumer product packaging,
celebrities, and comic strips"
Don't think my painting is Pop Art. The only description I can think to give it is "abstract". Can add 4WC. Maybe the painting title "Bridges" should be there in case someone wants to find it again. Can't think of much else, but will work on it.
Still need to resolve the problems with my gallery image and the one near the top of the auction page. They should be smooth, not jagged or fuzzy. Maybe someone on the Ebay photo board can help.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I do appreciate it.
Dave

Antoine
12-12-2003, 06:14 PM
According to my Sellathon stats the word ‘original’ are used quite often, perhaps something to consider. ( I also had one auction with the word Unique – but I do not think any searches was done on that) 'Art' is also a good word. It might sound strange, but I was surprised to see how many people when looking for art on ebay, instead of going to the art category, type in the word 'art'… if it’s not in your title, your auction does not come up.

I agree that your work is not pop art.