PDA

View Full Version : Is it inappropriate to contact bidders?

Antoine
12-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I need some advice. I have listed my last auction last night (I would soon be flying South for the winter) and I am letting my clients know.
I have read here somewhere that you could not put your bidders (the ones that never won any of your auctions) on your mailing list. Then I suppose it would also be inappropriate to let them know that my current auctions will be my last ones for a while??

Crystal Owl
12-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi Antoine,

I normally ask my winning bidders when I respond to sending their painting if they would like to be added to my mailing list to let them know when new paintings are posted. Most times they want to be contacted. However I have also been told no by some and honor that too. I've never contacted non-winning bidders so I don't know. Personally I wouldn't do that.

IRene

arteitaliana
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
How do you get the email address on non-winning bidders?
I think there is nothing wrong in contacting you past clients and tell them that you are not going to list for a while.

R

Antoine
12-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks you Irene & Rita. Rita, if you go to your expired auctions and you click on the amount of bids, it takes you to the Auction history. From there you could click on any of the bidders and get there email.

ElizaLeahy
12-12-2003, 02:53 AM
That isn't suppose to be allowed by ebay rules. It's "solisiting" and in the email they get there is a warning against it.

However, before an auction ends you can get their emails without having to go through the ebay email system. When there has been a big bid war I sometimes will gather the emails just before the end, then after the auction email the loosers and say something like "I'm sorry you didn't win "name of painting". I have a mailing list... blah blah blah"

Usually they say yes, add me.

Antoine
12-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Thank you Eliza. This is a good idea. I have their email adresses (will not ever use the ebay form). I might not use it now, but I think that what you suggested, like when there has been a big bidding war, I think it's a very good idea.

wayfarer
12-12-2003, 07:54 AM
I do make it a point to contact losing bids via the eBay system to thank them for their interest in my work. I also thank people for positive feedback. If it does come during an auction, I do not contact them until after the auction ends, even if they haven't placed a bid. I added the bit about a mailing list on my website and in my email notification from PayPal.

Chris

JoyJoyJoy
12-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Antoine.... I have thought about this myself, about how to let past customers or "followers" know when I am on vacation. I am not comfortable emailing past customers/bidders, unless I have a friendly, established relationship with them. Some artists include a notice of their vacation dates within auctions the weeks or month before they leave on vacation... I think that is a good idea. I think I would also use my "about me" page to say that I am on vacation from this date to that date, while I am gone.

Nance