PDA

View Full Version : new genre

BrianWarner
12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I recently thought of giving pastels a try, and following a couple of monochromes I have now delved in the intricacies of colour. My experience with oils tends to be a handicap at the moment as I try to treat pastels in a similar fashion, and it just doesn't work. Hopefully I will persevere, but any advice is welcome, so long as it's not "Give up" :)

Kathryn Wilson
12-11-2003, 12:12 PM
By no means should you "give up"! This is a great first try and you should do more. I can see where the oil paint influence comes in and I don't think that hurts this painting at all.

There's lots to learn in pastel and the more you do the more you learn. Try one of the pastel projects going on now - I think the one Dawn is hosting would be good for you to work on.

There is also a thread of weekly sketches - it gets you working and quickly too.

Please read all the great help and info contained in the Pastel Library - you'll see there no end to different techniques.

Welcome aboard! :D

Dyin
12-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Brian, we all adapt pastels to our styles, that's one of the neat things about them....try changing this in a photo program to grayscale, I think if you introduce a touch more color and tonal change you'll be happier...heaven's no...don't give up! Show us whatchagot!!! :D

jackiesimmonds
12-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Brian, you CAN treat pastels in a similar manner to oils. You can blend with them, as you might blend with oils - you can even use a finger for blending (f you are using soft pastels that is; with oil pastels, you can dip a cotton bud into turps or white spirit and blend); you can use them on their sides for wide, sweeping coverage as if you were using a big brush (chalk pastels, that is); you can make calligraphic marks as if you were using a small brush; you can "overpaint" and the beauty of pastels is you do not have to wait for the under layers to dry; you can get rid of chalk pastel marks by brushing them off, as you might wipe off oil paint; you can work your lights and highlights at the end, as you do with any opaque medium. Really, it is quite close, in fact, to the way you might work with oils - you just need to learn a different language of marks, using the stick directly on the surface, instead of mixing colour on a palette and applying with brush or palette knife.

Be patient with yourself; even tho there are similarities of approach, it IS different, and you need to learn the differences gradually. Try different coloured surfaces; try an "underpainting" in acrylic or gouache or watercolour; be brave with colour mixing on the surface too. Have fun - pastel is a very forgiving medium!

J

MarciaJane
12-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Well Brian.. I am REALLY impressed with this one ! Must be the teacher you had !!! LOL !!!

Look forward to some more soon Brian. :)

BrianWarner
12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Dyin & Kyle, no I'm not going to give up, I just didn't want anyone to give me that as advice :) . Thankyou for your useful comments.
Jackie, a wealth of information right there so thankyou, and I'll keep practicing.
Marcia, thanks so much for the encouragement. This is the greatest site :)

mairrca
12-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Brian I love the way you blended the pool of water at the bottom of the waterfall and I love the sparkle on the the waterfall...it dances. Keep going.
marion