PDA

View Full Version : Experiment with Sennelier part2

Diyart
12-11-2003, 03:04 AM
I didnīt know that Sennelier are not very popular.
They have very impressive reds and greens and gray`s ....

The attached image is a 60X40 cm
Fish-menu illustration.
A basic ink sketch was colored with water colors and the final touch with Senneliers of course !
Martin

sdkeene
12-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Very nice. I love the movement of line and color in this.

I actually know quite a few artists that swear by Senellier but the Schminkes (sp?) and Unisons have gained popularity over the past several years. When I first started using pastels, Rembrandts were the ones that "real" artists used but now I rarely meet anyone that still uses them. I still dig them most of all but I tend to switch to Unisons when I go to the red/purple end as they are much softer. As for the Senneliers, I've never used the soft pastels but, on the rare occasion when I use an oil pastel, Sennelier is the only brand I use.

Peace,
Shane

Diyart
12-11-2003, 04:41 AM
Dear Shane

thank you for explanations about used pastels.
Sometines I thin the Senneliers also with Purified Turpentine oil by working over the areas with a oilpainting brush.

I also started with Rembrandt mainly for price reason. But I found out that sometimes the sticks are rock hard and can damage the paper.
Also I wasn`t fully satisfied with the dark colors so I tried the Schmincke which are are my favorite now. But for thin lines or detailed areas I still use Rembrand.
Winsor Newton has some very nice gray`s also by the way.
The darkest blues and Umber I have are Sennelier dry pastels.

I learned about UNISON only here on WC and I will try to get a set from the U.K. In Germany this brand is not known.
best regards
Martin

sdkeene
12-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Hi Martin.

This is just like at work. I'm the only person in the U.S. who is still up to communicate in realtime with people in Germany. The life of a web developer ;).

If you are using turpentine to thin your Sennelier pastels then you are (most likely) using their oil pastels and not their soft (dry) pastels. While the Sennelier soft pastels leave a lot to be desired, the Sennelier oil pastels are (in my opinion) the best of their breed. They are vibrant in color and buttery smooth. I don't personally know of a better oil pastel. However, I rarely use oil pastels so there may be something better out there that I am unaware of.

Any OP artists out there that prefer something other than Sennelier?

Also, there are a lot of people in this forum who know much more about the subject of materials than I do. Jackie Simmonds (from the UK) comes to mind. She's written some awesome books on Pastels and also has some great articles right here on WC.

Peace,
Shane

Dyin
12-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Oh, this is a lovely, lively painting! I use Holbein oil pastels mainly as I can use them straight and they layer lovely but I like the Senneliers as they wil slide right over the Holbeins and add a bit of strong highlights or burst of color.

bnoonan
12-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Martin - Nice work. I think this is one of the best mixed media paintings I've seen in quite some time. Not only do I love the composition, but the way you have laid in the colors and darks and soft shapes of the watercolor is Superb!!!

I know this will appear in a gallery - best of luck with it and all the continued success. Do post more. I'd really be interested in seeing more of your work. (Watercolor forum?)

Barb:clap: