PDA

View Full Version : Eperimenting with Senneliers OP's

Mo.
12-10-2003, 08:22 PM
This is an experiment with Senneliers OP's, they seem to have such a a bad reputation that I thought I'd paint something with them, using only Senneliers.
I've used a sheet of canvas 9 x12 inches, took a ref pic from the library and this is my interpretation of it so far.

I started off by applying a wash of yellow ochre (yep Turps used), then built up the colours in the background much the same as you would if using oils, by glazing over and over the previous colour and scumbling with a brush/turpy rag/ paper towel here, the I used sharp pointed pencil a 4H and sketched the outline of the dancer, I am now gradually adding more and moe colour building up layer by layer, and scrubbing back when it doesn't work, oh such fun, I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far, but realise the face needs a lot of wor yet, the eyes, the mouth, the chin, the veiwers right cheek, all thes areas need adjusting and work.

I'd appreciate yor comments though and any advice on how to improve etc.,etc.,

Thanks for looking.

Mo.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2003/5154-spanish_dancer01.jpg

editing here to add that although you see black here, no black has been used, I used a very dark indigo, it must be that the dig cam has flattened the colours.

Dyin
12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
This is a cool start, Mo...I can't use the turps tho :crying: I'm just too sensitive to them...I even have odorless and vent. But it's fun to watch how you work...it shows there's different ways to use the OPs. You said the things you'll be working on, so think I'll just wait and watch you work your magic.
Senneliers have the best pigmentation, they're just hard to use straight, so you apply an underpainting with turps and then highlight and I do my Holbeins and then slick the Senneliers over in places. More than one way to skin a cat, eh??? :evil: :eek: :D

Diyart
12-11-2003, 02:59 AM
Hello,

a great proof for the impressive colors of Sennelier :clap: :clap:

Martin

sundiver
12-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Very rich color- looks like an oil painting.
There's such a variation in the characteristics of the Sennelier o.p.s; using a method like this would overcome a lot of that.
(some are opaque, some not, some clumpy, some gooey, some slick)
I love the colors in my new Sennelier landscape set. I just wish they would layer better.
You've inspired me to get my turps out!

Dark_Shades
12-11-2003, 12:30 PM
good start Mo ..... love the background colours and the lace..... had my eye on this one too :)

Mo.
12-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Hey Sue, note the title of the piece... experiment!!! :D:D

Believe me it's an experiment I wish I hadn't started, Wendy is right about those Senneliers, some are clumpy, some gooey, some slick or was that sticky, I tried again tonight, but didn't achieve anything worthwile, so think this will go in the bin, and I'll start another, Mmmm maybe not, why give up hey? :)

Thanks all,
I'll keep trying maybe. :D

Dyin
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
ha, ha MO! We TRIED to warn you lol lol lol :evil: :D
I did Desolation all with Sennelier, but had to use an acrylic brush to apply almost all of it...and tons of blending and reblending...they're perfect for skimming over the Holbeins for a burst of pigment tho...hey, you're right stubborn...keep at it and you'll show us!!

Hey, Holbeins have a binder of wax and mineral oil...and I think the Senneliers use vegetable oil (could be wrong tho)...could be why they apply so differently. It's really hard to control all that strong pigment unless you are going for pure color effects...

Mo.
12-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Yeah, yeah okay :D:D, just pity the poor who cannot afford or obtain those elusive Queens ~~ Holbeins, sigh :crying: and have to make do with the lower order of ranks. :D ~~ Talk about rubbing the salt in.:D, Lucky you Sue, don't think Santa will be so generous in this area.:D But good luck to you, and now I await in nail biting anticipation to see what you do with them~~ you go girl! :)

P.S I've binned this one, but I'm not giving up, YET!! LOL!

bnoonan
12-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey Mo - I obviously found this thread a little late - since you've taken to putting the piece in the bin already. Sorry the experiment didn't work but didn't you just love trying out a new method. I swear I learn so much about materials, techniques and myself when I try out new processes.

Enjoy the OP's - can't help in that regard I'm afraid.

Cheers! Barb

Dyin
12-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Aww, Mo...never give up on Santa...I sure never expected my pressie in a kazillion years!...(love that word!) I'm working hard already...8 hours today on a piece!!!

I'm glad you haven't given up...will keep checking to see what you come up with!!! Cuz I know the stuff you're made of...and playing is 1/2 the fun too!
:p

sundiver
12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
I said I would get out the turps, and I did, but akkkk, it just made them stickier. The Senneliers filled in the tooth, wouldn't take layers, wouldn't layer over...
There are a few, though , that I just love, and most aren't too bad if used in a limited way. And the iridescents are cool.
Mo, there's not really a big difference between Caran D'Ache and Holbein. CDs will do nicely. Around here they're the same price if bought individually. Cds are probably cheaper for you because they are made in Switzerland, and you are closer.

Dyin
12-13-2003, 10:03 PM
yeah, and Queenie has a problem with her wardrobe...even when you have all the colors...no yellow ochre, no yellow browns, no cream...so will have to use the Caran d'Ache in combo with the Holbeins. The only way I could use those Senneliers alone was using a brush and putting them on straight a dab at a time...or over the others as an accent only.

kimo
12-13-2003, 10:54 PM
The colors in this are to die for!! It definitely looks like an oil painting. It has that "old masters" feel to it for sure.

I think you should do more experimenting like this! :D

Christel
12-14-2003, 06:08 AM
on an historic basis , sennelier oil pastels were created in order to be used instead of oils.
it could explain why there are so creamy ... and not easy to use

Dyin
12-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Yep, Christel, think it was for Picasso...well, am glad or we wouldn't be sitting here raving over Mo's OPs!
Hey, Mo...how's the experiments goin??? :evil: :D

Mo.
12-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone.
Well Sue, haven't done any more, been busy writing out my Xmas cards, I know I'm late:D then there was last night's WDE, posted my efforts in Kat's white project too.

Wendy how much turps did you use, I only use a little, I scumble the colour on the canvas , then dip the brush in the turps, wiping off excess and scumble it over the colour, then finish off with a piece of kitchen paper, leave to dryout for a few mins, then apply again, it's smelly, but good fun. BTW I have a full set of CD's I love them, a tin of 96, but bought the Senneliers before the CD's, there's a lot I like about the Senneliers, they are very challenging for one and I love a challenge. :D The main thing I like about them is the vibrant colours and how they mix with turps.

Hey Sue can't believe that Holbeins are short on those colours :eek: I mean no yellow ochre, that is a must in anyone's pallette.

Yeah they were created for Picasso, anyone ever seen a painting or sketch of his done with OP's?