PDA

View Full Version : The Last Rays of Summer

Rich Williams
07-26-2001, 02:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2001/tlros.jpg

The Last Rays of Summer is one of a series I have been doing for a galery that is looking for images that envoke memories. Let me know what you think.

Chuck
07-26-2001, 08:46 AM
Works for me!

Fagan
07-26-2001, 09:22 AM
Yep...*LOL* works for me too. Reminds me of the time my boyfriend and I had to rewire the fence after a slight encounter with his father's tractor and our joy ride... he he. I love the sky and fence post...I might would have put in at least a couple more stalks of grass...the one looks a little too isolated even though it is next to the fence post.

YLCIA
07-26-2001, 11:15 AM
Wonderful!

Masterartworks
07-26-2001, 04:14 PM
Good mood!

Compositionally, it's hard to make two objects about the same size, in the center of a painting not stop the eye. If there was more room on top portion of the painting, and the fence post was either higher or lower than the weed it would be better. Also, you could lead the eye by losing the wire into the background here and there.

Regardless, I get the sense of forgotten times.

Lei

ZOTMA
07-26-2001, 05:47 PM
I love the piece and it served it's purpose for me. I used to spend summers on the ranch my mom was raised on. As kids we used to crawl through the barbed wire (have someone hold it open for you if possible) to get around. I have really long hair and it would always get caught in the barbs and rip out. Happily, at the end of the summer I'd see this picture but long strands of blonde hair (similar to that grass) where I'd been waving goodbye at me. Weird but true and this evoked the very fond memory. Thanks and good luck with the show, show us more.

Gavinart
07-26-2001, 05:49 PM
I like the energy and feeling of this piece. It brings me back to a moment in my youth, I can say it is a success! Everything is well rendered.

Is this oil paint? What substrate? How big? How long did it take you to do, and how many are in this series?

All these questions I ask unto thee.

ftb
07-26-2001, 06:43 PM
I want to pull that one dry straw out and put in mouth, while I fix that bob wire like I've so many times with my grandpa...simple and cool that's what I like.. defiantly a winner for me...

lbailey
07-26-2001, 08:22 PM
I really like this panting. It does evoke a snse of the open spaces and the fences running along them. Noce job onthe texture of the post.

PS Your website address does not work.

Rich Williams
07-27-2001, 12:45 AM
I fixed the web address and as for the medium

Watercolor 21' x 12' painted on 300 lb Arches paper It took me about 3 hrs to do this, the longest part was waiting for the background to dry enough to comlete the weed and the post. The background was done wet in wet and after I had completed the post and the weed I had to go back into the background and darken some areas to enhance the contrast.

Ladysue
07-27-2001, 10:09 AM
Great painting! Funny how the simplest things bring back so vivid memories for so many people!

Just two comments, really just as a matter of taste, so you can leave the painting as is and it would still be a great peice. The first comment is a technical one: any way you can make this bigger so we have a closer look?
And the second is Personnaly, I would shift it to the right a little. It's just to centered for my taste.

Anyway : Great job!:clap: :clap:

Rich Williams
07-27-2001, 02:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2001/tlros.jpg

Here is a larger picture to look at.