PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to do from now till after xmas?

kiwicockatoo
12-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok you experience ebayers, I have a question. I'm thinking of dropping my production to one item per week starting next week till after xmas. I think I jumped the gun listing my first large piece right before xmas - I don't think I will get what I expect for it.

Is it true that december is slow? I would have thought that people would be buying gifts, but I forgot that my stuff has to be mailed and people would realize by now they might not get it for xmas if they buy now. Are Jan sales that much better?

Thanks!

PS I might be brave in the new year and put my pond nymph up for sale with a reserve of $450! Wishful thinking indeed!!:D

surreal
12-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi Brenda,

I am not a very experienced ebayer, but nonetheless I would suggest your listing 2 items per week, since you are doing so well!

Take with a grain of salt!
;)

arlene
12-11-2003, 12:04 AM
I disagree...I'd do one a week till after the new year. That is if you're willing to take lower amounts on your paintings...if not wait till the new year.

I'm going to start listing again on the 5th...hey maybe some of those who returned those awful presents will use the money to buy a piece of art they want?

CarlyHardy
12-11-2003, 12:31 AM
I began listing right after New Year's last year and had great sales during the first three months. Who know what this year will be like! Since usually we have good sales during Sept-November, but this year it was terribly slow! I'll keep a couple of listings going just to keep a presence but if I have a sale, I'll be "pleasantly" surprised :)
carly

nanabanana
12-11-2003, 03:19 AM
Dear Friend,
re: dropping production

Actually I do the opposite, more like increase production and just post the items in your ebaystore if you don't want to sell at auction. Why? my experience from last year has been the last minuet shoppers. last year I didn't have enough well this year I came prepared with prints and originals stockpiled many months in advance.

always have something on auction this is how people find your ebay store. Besides, you can always keep these extra paintings as backup in case you run into "painters block" I do it alll the time, when I'm in my art mode I paint tons of stuff, so if I don't feel like painting on any given week / month, I can still have something to list.

What to do from now until after xmas? I'm makeing a shopping list of all the things I want and will buy them after xmas when it all goes on 50% - 75% off. so in the mean time will be painting more pieces so i have money to go post holiday shopping!

I hope this is helpful.

kjsspot
12-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Man, this is my season of death on eBay. But for me it's more than just the lack of buyers. This is finals/end of semester. I simply can't produce for ebay and the fact that it comes when sales are already low is a double deal of death for me. Ugh.

I WISH I could maintain or even increase production at this time, but I can't. Ah well. It's a perfect time for my buyers to get extra special deals on my work. I've had to pull stuff out of my store and put in on auction just to try and maintain a presence. ::sigh:::

This'll be the LAST season like this though. It's just trying to get through it one more time... :crying: So many things going wrong all at once. It's very discouraging and so hard to maintain sanity.

surreal
12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by kjsspot
Man, this is my season of death on eBay. But for me it's more than just the lack of buyers. This is finals/end of semester. I simply can't produce for ebay and the fact that it comes when sales are already low is a double deal of death for me. Ugh.

I WISH I could maintain or even increase production at this time, but I can't. Ah well. It's a perfect time for my buyers to get extra special deals on my work. I've had to pull stuff out of my store and put in on auction just to try and maintain a presence. ::sigh:::

This'll be the LAST season like this though. It's just trying to get through it one more time... :crying: So many things going wrong all at once. It's very discouraging and so hard to maintain sanity.

Hi Kerry,
I am so sorry to hear that this is a rough time for you.
But the future will be just terrific!!!
You will get through this!
Everything will work out just fine.
:)

arlene
12-11-2003, 12:44 PM
another point...I have my landscape as an fp...and it ends tonight...since the 24 hour mark...anotherwords 7pm pst last night, i've gotten a total of 12 lookers...normally for that period of time it would be triple or more.

pampe
12-11-2003, 01:25 PM
well, I feel like a kid on Christmas vacation

I am going to study...do some exercises I haven't had time for....and build up inventory, I hope.

I will keep 1-2 going so my store gets traffic

kjsspot
12-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Arlene, Ruby Lane might be messing up. They show all my auctions as None for views. Bah. I had views yesterday so I know it's not accurate.

Thanks Nina. I know it'll get better afterwards. (at least I hope! LoL) But until then, well, I'm pretty much at the breaking point. Just the lightest straw... :(

NextSojourn
12-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Kerry,

I hope things get better for you.

I am going through the same bad times. This last 5 or 6 weeks has been especially bad for me. If a miracle does not happen for me in the next week I wil probably lose my ebay acccount and my checking account. I still need to make another $250 or so from ebay and into my checking account before the 20th or I will be out of business after two years. This is turning into a nightmare for me and right befor christmas to boot. Its starting to look like eBay has finally beaten me.

I am sure it will get better next year for everyone, I just hope I will still be there.

Richard

kiwicockatoo
12-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Well, I was thinking of only listing one thing next week, but now I have three things up with bids......

I think I will cut back, keep painting and list a few things in January.

My heart goes out to you who are not doing well! I seem to have found my niche but I constantly worry that my buyers will dry up for some reason. I am so thankful that I am finally selling!

I don't think that people will be counting their pennies for the next few weeks, I'm just worried that they will be too busy. From what I see most of my buyers browse from work and will probably be on holidays soon.

Also, I need to take some pressure off of myself and relax for a while.

arlene
12-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by kjsspot
Arlene, Ruby Lane might be messing up. They show all my auctions as None for views. Bah. I had views yesterday so I know it's not accurate.

Thanks Nina. I know it'll get better afterwards. (at least I hope! LoL) But until then, well, I'm pretty much at the breaking point. Just the lightest straw... :(

I'm going by sellathon, rubylane and andale...i have all three..LOL

arlene
12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
make that 20 views and the auction ends in 4 1/2 hours.

pampe
12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
((Richard))

KJ....a big ((hug)) for you too

sending good vibes to you both

arteitaliana
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
I have stopped listing and iI will resume probably after Christmas. In the meantime I painting happily without ebay pressure...a good feeling!
I have had a great November (mostly local sales) and December is shaping up to be good as well, so I have no need to keep listing also considering that hits were low and bids not that great.

R

tonigart
12-12-2003, 08:54 AM
I expected Ebay in Dec to be especially slow and for me that is coming true. However, like Rita, my local sales are great. Maybe make a note for next year....plan for some extra exposure in Nov/Dec locally where you live rather than focus on Ebay. If they are going to spend money in your town, this is the time of year they are going to do it!

Take care,
Toni

kjsspot
12-12-2003, 09:39 AM
I know what you mean about Christmas Richard. It's not fun when you have kids depending upon you. Ebay hasn't beaten me but school sure has knocked me around a bit. If this weren't my last semester, I probably would have dropped out. It's almost too much to handle. My problem is that I can't produce. There are no sales without production. =(

Thanks Pam!

NextSojourn
12-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Pam,

Thanks for the good Vibes. I think they are working. I have a bid on one now as of this morning. Now if I can just get another $200.00 in sells over the weekend, I will have this licked. This is just getting to close for comfort. Its starting to drive me insane.

NextSojourn
12-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Hi Kerry,

I just do not now how you can manage to do both. Ebay is a full time job in itself. I wish you the best. I am sure you will be glad when its all over and you can get back full time on eBay.

As far as production, I am really getting a lot painted for once but things have been so slow on ebay that I am running out of room fast and getting even more in debt trying to keep listting all this stuff that does not sell. Once I somehow manage to get ebay paid off next week, I will just put everything I have left in my store and hope next month will be better.

Things have to get better for all of us.

Richard

pampe
12-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Richard

Do you network with any of the other WCers in Phoenix...there are so many

Maybe some support and ideas there

(and I'll be there next month)

NextSojourn
12-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by pampe
Richard

Do you network with any of the other WCers in Phoenix...there are so many

Maybe some support and ideas there

(and I'll be there next month)

Hi Pam,

Since I have moved back to Phoenix a year and a half ago I have not been out much. I live quite aways from what I consider the artsy part of town in Scottsdale and I also do not have transportation so I have been pretty much stay at home. I would like to meet & network with others in my area and I think I will concentrate on this for 2004. I would like to also start thinking about getting some of my better artwork in some galleries too. I am not sure if I am ready for this stage yet though.

Would love to meet with you when you do get out here next month. Me and my wife could meet you somewhere for dinner or lunch perhaps. Either way I hope you do enjoy your trip. I really do love your watercolor work. Wished I could afford more than the one piece I bid on a year or so ago.

Richard