PDA

View Full Version : Bad feeling about an auction

ale.l
12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Friends, I need some help/opinons from more experienced ebayers, please.

My first sale ever was to an NPB! Anyway, I went through the due process with ebay, but the point is that someone else wrote about that piece saying she was sorry that she missed it and would I list again a similar piece. In the meantime I painted another similar painting and listed it together with the one that didn't sell to the NPB. They are offered individually but make a nice complementing pair which I emphasized in the auctions. I left a mail for the lady who was interested in the paintings and she bid instantly my opening bid of 29 dollars a piece. She is a serious buyer with a good feedback and I was confident I would sell.

However, there are now 3 bids for both paintings. They went up straight from 29 to 40 dollars, both! I had a look and the bids came from a buyer with no feedback who registered only yesterday with ebay.

My question is should I feel discouraged? I don't want this sale to fail if this one turns out to be another NPB! Or do you think it might be the case of a customer who is not knoledgeable in ebay and just bid safely a high bid?

I have a feeling someone is just having me on with bidding twice on my paintings with no feedback.. anyone can do that. Maybe a secret admirer is trying to help raise my bids but it can actually be a disservice if I don't sell at all.

And, could I sell to the second best bidder if it fails and will the lady buy it after she is outbid? What can you offer from your experience in the way of solace :)

Thank you and sorry for being so long..sorry

here is the link to the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643541996&category=20158&rd=1

meriadoc
12-10-2003, 03:47 PM
well....

i'm new to this ebay thing as well, but i only registered because i wanted to buy something, so this person that is new may have registered recently because they wanted something....

don't feel discouraged - everyone starts off new :)

mmartist
12-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by meriadoc
well....
.... i only registered because i wanted to buy something, so this person that is new may have registered recently because they wanted something....

Ditto to the above!
It happened several times that a bidder registered just to bid on MY painting (they told me so later).

Personally I never had any problems with 0 feedback buyers - sometimes they just need a friendly email explaining payment methods at the end of the auction.

Also Iíd suggest that you block that NPB if you havenít already.

Best of luck to you Ė your art is stunning! :clap:

clothespinreferee
12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I actually like it when when I get a (0) feedback bidder....to think that someone may have made their first scary bid attempt and joined the world of ebay just to get one of your pictures...it 's kind of an honor....anyway....sometimes they need a little help so I go out of my way to explain how to do things and help them. They appreciate and I develop loyal customers that way. Good Luck.

Curt

ElizaLeahy
12-10-2003, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't worry either. Just because they have 0 feedback doesn't mean that they are bad people or aren't going to pay. It just means that they are new. If they had NEGATIVE feedback you might worry.

Block the NPB you had.

And yes, if a sale falls through you can make a "second chance offer" to the next highest bidder for the highest price that they bid. It's built into ebay, and if you go to your finished auction and click on the bidder that didn't win name in the number of bids page, the email offering them second chance will come up. You can do this to see - just don't hit "send" :)

yeepers
12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
What I've done in the past if I've gotten a 0-feedback bidder that I don't feel comfortable with is send an email.

Basically I write to the person saying how pleased I am that they're bidding on my auction and if they don't mind simply replying to my email to confirm that they are a legitimate bidder I would greatly appreciate it. I usually say that this is due to a bad experience in the past and that it is nothing against them.

Always works for me and have never had a problem that way. I only worry when the person doesn't respond. Makes you question if they're going to respond when the auction is over.

Best of luck to you!!

JoyJoyJoy
12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Add me to the list... I also had a serious, eventually winning bidder with no feedback, who registered just to bid on my auction. Paid, shipped, no problem.

I would not immediately assume a "no feedback bidder" is bad... We all had no feedback when we started with ebay!

Nance

pampe
12-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Just part of the risk on EBAY

I'd rather have a 0 feedback bidder than seller...

And you can do a SECOND CHANCE OFFER for "solace"

dawningart
12-10-2003, 09:27 PM
This may be the teacher in me; but, you never know unless you try. This person may turn out to a good and even repeat customer! Hang in there.:)

arlene
12-11-2003, 12:07 AM
al more importantly i'd suggest you lower the kb on your images...both are over 150,000...keep it under 50,000 so that those on slow modems don't get frustrated and move on before it loads. your image editing program should be able to reduce it.

Sumafra
12-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by JoyJoyJoy
Add me to the list... I also had a serious, eventually winning bidder with no feedback, who registered just to bid on my auction. Paid, shipped, no problem.

I would not immediately assume a "no feedback bidder" is bad... We all had no feedback when we started with ebay!

Nance

Same here!!

ale.l
12-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the optimistic outlook :)
I'll let you know what happens after the auction ends.
It still suprises me that the bidder went straight from 29 to 40 dollars!?

CathyD
12-11-2003, 11:31 AM
It still suprises me that the bidder went straight from 29 to 40 dollars!?
That's easy to explain... your first bid not only bid the minimum on your auction, but put a maximum amount that they would be willing to bid also. Then when your second bidder bid, they had to out bid the first bidder's maximum bid. Voila! $40.00 bid.
Cool, huh!
Lovely paintings. Good luck!
Cathy

pampe
12-11-2003, 01:33 PM
OMG..that's my painting !!

LOL...and title

from the reference library...but did you have to use the same title????

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2003/4054-fallberries8.jpg

Sold in 2002

Your pictures load SO SLOWLY and I have DSL.....

P

ale.l
12-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Yes it is Pam. I believe we've been through this on the Watercolor Channel - I remember I asked the question what happens if an artists paints the same motive as another. This is one of such cases, and there are many. For instance marbles have been painted many times and some other pictures I've seen.
As for the title, I wasn't aware that it was the same as yours, sorry. It must have stuck in memory and seemed natural. Had I been aware I would have changed at least that. Sorry again.

Do you really mind about this? This is probably going to happen a lot, I intend to paint some other motives from our reference library which other people have painted. We've not all been on WC as long as you and some others and must paint what we are compelled to paint.

I hope this is not going to cause bad blood, is it?

Ivyleaf
12-11-2003, 05:25 PM
My guess is you both called it "Fall Berries" as that is the name of the original picture in the reference library:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=8182&papass=&sort=1

Anyone is allowed to paint and sell anything from the library that they wish.

:) :) :)
Ivy

ale.l
12-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Exactly, thank you Ivy. My painting is not Pam's painting as hers is not mine.

I was hushed back then but my point was quite valid. I asked about who has the copyright to the image if it's painted several times. If Pam claims copyright - I can claim it too. It's obvious that the image is the same. I don't know the answer other than get rid of the common reference library which is unthinkable!!!!!!

But then again, the situation being as it is we should not be suprised when we see other people paint the same pictures and then call them MY PAINTING.

We should rather be the group we have been, sympathetic, helpful, open and honest without these kinds of accusations, however carefully implied or perhaps unintended. To be quite honest I didn't expect this kind of a rebuke.

You know, it's not a nice feeling when you look at the words THAT'S MY PAINTING!!! It implies that I stole it.

Especially if they come from someone who sells this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3642857717&category=20135

pampe
12-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Calm down, ale

I am not upset and I am not claiming ANYTHING...I was surprised and laughed

It happens all the time here!
About 20 of us have painted and sold the same PEARS!

It is NOT a problem......

I did not CLAIM anything

Please calm down.....this is the internet not war

NOTICE the "LOL" in my post>?????

AND

The only thing I would add is that you give credit to the PHOTOGRAPHER in your listing

It is always nice to do that when you use someone else's photo

And ....BTW, my Beduoins....is not CLAIMED to be an original...it is claimed to be in honor of Sargent...so I don't know what your point is:confused:

And, Ale...on a personal level...since you PMed me in a panic when you started on EBAY and I tried to help you....PLEASE do not suggest that we are not HELPFUL here

walden
12-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Doing a tribute to Sargent makes you a BRAVE WOMAN, Pam-- I'm not familiar with the original but I quite like your version. Good luck with it!

ale.l
12-12-2003, 02:58 AM
This is the following morning and I have calmed down. Look, I can't know what you may have meant really as I can only see the written word - and capitals and the whole wording seemed a bit.. you know. Anyway, if you meant it good-naturedly and in a friendliish way then accept my apologies. Please.

As for being friendly, of course people go out of their way to help, including you, and I didn't imply that you are not helpful. I was only a little disappointed that it was not all milk and roses as it seems much of the time. The spirit of the forum is what keeps me here and I simply hated to have to spoil it for a moment even if it was just between you and me. That's all I meant by saying what I said.

Ok, as far as I am concerned let this be the end of it. We all have other things in our life to take care of, and not pick up little senseless and useless battles.

Regards to all.
Ale

pampe
12-12-2003, 10:32 AM
:)

Dave Carter
12-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Very interesting thread, even though I am a bit tardy getting around to it. Your watercolors are of high quality (and under priced) no matter what your reference source. When I use a photo or other source I tweak it to the point that it is mine beyond question, even if the photo is one of mine. A viewer would be hard pressed at time to recognize the source.

In those rare situations when a potential buyer says they missed your auction and are interested in similar work, sell it to them direct (if not already listed). This happened to me and I offered a work (sent photo) for $xxx, which was higher than the winning bid for the item she missed. She bought that and another as well! I did not get feedback, but did save listing fees and gained a higher price.