PDA

View Full Version : 3 little ones on the weekend

sundiver
12-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I've been debating whether to sneak these into the Weekly Sketches thread, but I'm pretty sure at least 2 of them took more than an hour. I wasn't paying attention to the time. They are all 5x7 oil pastel.

I've got those winter gloomies. I can hardly get interested even in my new art supplies. Thank goodness for the WDEs; they get me going. Here's this week's entry. Leaflin had some beautiful images . It's on burgundy paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/6393-lindasWDEDec6creek.jpg
That was Saturday. Sunday we had a snowstorm. I sat at the livingroom window and sketched this. By the time I was finished there were lights on although it was still afternoon. It was hard to see any color at all in the scene; everything just looked grey.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/6393-snowday.jpg
The next day it was still stormimg and we got the day off school.Julie and I cocooned most of the day, then made ourselves paint a bit in the afternoon. This is on turquoise paper, from a photo taken last summer, when we had SUNSHINE. It's just a couple of trees, but I kind of liked the shadows of the trees behind me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/6393-twotrees.jpg
I feel like Eeyore: Dooo'nt worry 'bout me, I'll be fine. Thaaanks for lookin' at my pictures.

Stoy Jones
12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I suffer from depression without sunlight, so know where you are coming from! Gotta have those rays!!

Excellent work! All three are very good, but love the last one for it's light and shadow. Most excellent. First two are moody and great for describing a season. Great choices for color!

Stoy

Mikki Petersen
12-09-2003, 09:30 PM
All three are absolute winners and do not reflect your gloomy mood at all! I'm sorry you've got the winter blues...hope you find something to smile about soon.

kimo
12-09-2003, 10:43 PM
All 3 of these are beautiful! I especially like the second one though.

I have very fair skin so lack of sun does not bother me in the least. :D

sundiver
12-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your comments!:0
I realise I didn't even ask for critiques, and critiques are always welcome. I'm especially wondering about the colors in the second one, the plein-air-through-the-window. It was dark and snowy and grey. Maybe that green I used is too garish.
The winter blues will pass when we get some more light. It's difficult to feel gloomy at work when I'm surrounded by effervescent middle-schoolers all day, too. But it's dark when I go to work, dark when I come home, and the urge to hibernate is strong! (Or to curl up with a big bowl of melted chocolate and a spoon)

ExpressiveAngie
12-10-2003, 07:44 AM
I dont know about critiques, but I would buy the first one! PM me.

When I try to go dark like that mine just look muddy. :(

Angie

bnoonan
12-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Wendy - no critiquing here - just compliments. I admire your fortitude and persistence. In fact i may just adopt some of that. let me ask you... are you striving for a particular number by a particular date?

The reason I ask is that I see the growth, color and strength in these pieces and wonder if I could only aspire to that in landscapes if I took my pastels out for those as often as I do for portraiture.

Lovely stuff... Oh and I'm sorry you had to sit out the snow storm inside though I'm sure you'll have lots to work with for the white project!

Barb

Dark_Shades
12-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Would of loved to have been there with you...... ya know....... when I grow up :D :evil: ..... I wanna paint landscapes like you

Mo.
12-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey Wendy, felt so bad about last weeks WDE, with my puter probs, couldn't get in to reply to everyone's work, so glad you posted it here, it's a real gem, those colours are really so gorgeous!, the snow scene is lovely, why not post it in the white project.
And the last one is gorgeous too, you've painted three seasons here, and each one a beauty.
I always look forward to seeing your work. hope you get over those winter blues soon. :) Keep painting girl!
:clap::clap::clap:

Mo.:)

meowmeow
12-10-2003, 08:34 PM
They are all wonderful! I have painted snow from the window and I think you did a super job! GReat colors.
You've been really productive...makes me jealous!

Sandy

sundiver
12-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Wendy - no critiquing here - just compliments. I admire your fortitude and persistence. In fact i may just adopt some of that. let me ask you... are you striving for a particular number by a particular date?
The reason I ask is that I see the growth, color and strength in these pieces and wonder if I could only aspire to that in landscapes if I took my pastels out for those as often as I do for portraiture. Barb

No dates. In terms of plein airs, the weather is a major factor. But I have set a goal of 100, for the growth I hope will result, (And because Carly did it, and just LOOK at her landscapes! Not that I expect to get them, but I do expect to learn and improve.)

For the others, well, I just like doing them. And if I don't feel much like working I can usually muster the energy for a 5x7, and usually am glad I did.

I "should" do the same with portraits, but find them more stressful and tend to avoid them!

blissfullyunaware
12-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Beautiful paintings, they all are very fresh and full of color. I admire your tenacity...!!! The bad weather here on the east coast lately has me in a funk too! You give me hope!! :clap: Keep painting and posting, you are an inspiration!!! :D Sharon

E-J
12-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Wendy, I really like that pattern of shadows and light on the grass. All three are lovely!

cjkelly
12-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow ... you should bottle that 'what-ever it is' that turns winter moodies into such productivity. It would be a best seller! You have made the most out of such uninspiring conditions, and actually used it so positively - smile for yourself - you deserve it :D
**zappity-zap** << here's a bit of warm summer sunshine all the way from Oz to you ;)

cj