PDA

View Full Version : Bead Related Ceramic Ornaments

earthenwood
12-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Hello All!
I wanted to show a few of my new tiles and ornaments that I designed and made for the holidays and beyond...

My first passion is my porcelain beads, of course, but I do enjoy making my line of gift tile. I do several Tile Fairs here in Michigan, and I usually bring some of my tiles to the Bead Shows with me. I found that beaders do like the themes of my tiles, so I decided to do some designs directly for beaders!

The first is a large stoneware plaque, from which I dangle assorted beads from my vast collection. I actually designed these to put some of these beadies to good use...I have way too many beads...I could never use them all for jewelry! I am particularly proud of these new pieces...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/27951-Beadshweva_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/27951-BeadDivaPurple.jpg

And some smaller Ornaments...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/27951-BeadOrnaments.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/27951-bflygirl.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/27951-Leafornament.jpg

suzanneMI
12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
:clap:
I love it when you share your ceramic/porcelain work, Melanie!

Thanks for the inspiration and eye candy. I'd love to use one of the Bead Diva tiles to hang lampwork beads in my studio work area for reference and/or ogle-ability. I don't see them listed on your site; will they be added?

Originally posted by earthenwood
I actually designed these to put some of these beadies to good use...I have way too many beads...I could never use them all for jewelry! I am particularly proud of these new pieces...

busy91
12-09-2003, 04:42 PM
They are all very nice, I love the earthy feel.

k8e
12-09-2003, 04:42 PM
I have way too many beads...

Is that possible???? :eek:

These are all terrific!

:D
Katie

earthenwood
12-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Is that possible???? -k8e

Well I have too many of the beads I loved 8 years ago. Of course i want more beads, but now I want different kinds! Hence the will trade for lampwork suggestion in my signature! :D I have a lot of older import glass and wood/bone beads I'm not using...

I'd love to use one of the Bead Diva tiles to hang lampwork beads in my studio work area for reference and/or ogle-ability. I don't see them listed on your site; will they be added?

Thanks Suzanne...No, these aren't up yet, my dear Hubby is in charge of that! He does a great job, I think. I have had beaders ask for them without the dangles added...so they can use their own beads. I love this idea! Plus its less work for me! I do hope to put them up on the site sometime. This is the tile section of my site. We just recently expanded it... http://mywebpages.comcast.net/clukacs107879MI/tile.html

If you are interested in more info, you can PM or email me!

Earth Ma
12-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Awesome! Do you glaze then rub off on the raised areas? They just beg to be touched! Wonderful texture! You show off anytime you want!:clap: :clap: :clap:

robinj
12-09-2003, 08:46 PM
They're even better in person!

I had the pleasure of meeting Melanie at a pottery show last weekend and whenever I got near any of her work, I heard murmurings about how talented she is and how exceptional her pieces are.

I was lucky enough to get a "Butterfly Girl" and a "Spiral Leaf" ornament (quite reasonably priced).

Ask her nicely and you might be able to talk her into sending you a catalog!

Her work really is distinctive and she brings every element together beautifully!

earthenwood
12-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Robin,
Thanks! That's sweet of you! It is so fun to meet new Wet Canvas friends...I'm so happy that you stopped by to say hi at the Potters market! I just happened to be chatting with a few clay buddies about beads and they were amazed that people could just sell BEADS! Plus I got a dreamy Robin J original glass beadie! How cool is that!?!

Gaea,
Most of my tiles are stoneware with glaze applied to the carved in areas and wiped away to reveal the clay. You do that with some of your beads, don't you? Like the chocolate and buff ones? Or does the glaze just break that way? Anyway, with my tiles, I can even stack some on top of each other while they are glaze firing. Depends on the glaze and making sure I completely rubbed away all the glaze that would be touching the surface on top of it... Does that make sense?

Zonnestraaltje
12-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Wow, Melanie.... stunning! I love your expression and style. :D

robinj
12-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Here is my personal Earthenwood Testimonial...

I have pierced ears and haven't worn earrings in FOUR years. I lost my every-day pair, their replacements bothered me, then I just lost interest.

I bought a pair of Melanie's on Saturday (little brown pumpkin shaped ones) and wore them home that day! I LOVE THEM!!!

I think I need one of everything she makes -- in every color -- and spares for each of those!

(Geez, when I find something I like, I'm such a groupie!)

NYCindy
12-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Oh Melanie! Those tiles are wonderful! I HAVE TO HAVE one! They would make a beautiful little display for some of the collector beads I have!

I saw Melanie at Beadfest and I can attest to how beautiful her beads are! I bought some of the goddesses, the foliage and the small face/flower beads (forgive me, I can't remember this early in the morning exactly the names of the beads) They ARE better in person than in pix! :-) I agree with Robin - I'd like one of everything! :-)

Please let us know when the Bead Diva tile is available on you website - I know I'll be getting some $$$ for the holidays and can think just where I'd like to spend it! :-)

Cindy

earthenwood
12-10-2003, 03:44 PM
WOW, thanks for all the Nicey Nices all of you! I feel like I have a little cyber cheer leading team! You are all the best!

Cindy,
I don't know when these will go on the website. I am so bad about my web image. I guess I am so much more comfy at shows and in print. But I am learning so much from everyone here with their great websites and auctions! If you are interested in somethin, just PM me!

Robin,
So glad you like the earrings. I like to make them pretty small and comfy, because I have sensitive ears as well.

Rachel,
Thanks...I am looking forward to getting the wonderful cards that you make! I have not sent out my holiday cards yet EEK! And I know those will be wonderful!

If Y'all don't mind, I will hog up this thread some more. I am doing scans of my bestest tiles to make a little flyer and I thought I might as well put em up here as well!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2003/27951-goddesstreesq.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2003/27951-Goddesstreetall.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2003/27951-bflySquare.jpg

tehale
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Incredible.....just LOVE'em ***all***! I think I know what I'll be doing with any holiday cash that comes my way!!

mwillis
12-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Melanie, those are some beautiful tiles! My favorite is the first one with the copper patina. I love the rustic look, is that one of the Laguna glazes?

I made my nieces each a wall plaque with their names on them, but I just made holes to hang the beads from and I must say that I do like your inclusion of the wire loops.

Melinda

earthenwood
12-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Terry,
Thanks! Glad you like them! I hope to have my little tile flyer printed out soon. If you send me a PM or e-mail with your address, I'll mail one to you when they are done!

Melinda,
I really like the Copper Patina glaze too. It is one of those glazes that is unpredictable, but I always like what it does. It is a glaze from Georgies, and is fired to cone 6 on my local clay supplier's Temstone stoneware.

What a nice gift for your nieces! I put the loops on the back of the tile while they are in the mold. There are three small ones on the bottom behind the little tabs, and two heavy ones in the top corners to hold the hanging ribbon.

suzanneMI
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
If Y'all don't mind, I will hog up this thread some more. I am doing scans of my bestest tiles to make a little flyer and I thought I might as well put em up here as well!

I, for one, don't mind!! :clap:
I want to reach through my screen and touch everything. HA! :D

Earth Ma
12-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Gaea,
Most of my tiles are stoneware with glaze applied to the carved in areas and wiped away to reveal the clay. You do that with some of your beads, don't you? Like the chocolate and buff ones? Or does the glaze just break that way?

I haven't tried the wiped away method! My glazes just break that way. I just love that effect! I have some little logo pieces I'm working on that would be PERFECT for that treatment! WHEEEEEE! I think I'll change my middle name to Wheeeee! because I've been saying it so much!!!! More please!

!ngridh
12-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Melanie...I got your sample pack...I think the bead shapes and sizes would work great with lampwork beads...but what I REALLY think would be spectacular would be some of the bisque???? ware....we are all doing a lot of organic beads...quite amorphous and I think that the unglazed amulets/pendants ...would work into a stunning necklace...and even more important ...i think they would SELL big time...In my gallery ...with all the bright colors...it was the neutrals that sold the most...they worked with a variety of colors and patterns in clothing ;-)

earthenwood
12-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Ingrid,
Hmmmmm Interesting Idea....Unglazed beads. That would be cool if I worked with nicely colored clays like my tile clay when I make beads. But that clay is too rough and I havent done much experimenting with the colored clays. My bead clay is bright white without glaze.

I do have many glazes that look like bare clay and are very organic looking. Those are my favorite glazes! Glazes like Earthy Green, Desert Pine, Dusty Sage, and Antique Aqua are very earthy! In fact, some of my recent trades are for very organic lampwork beads, and those glazes are perfect with them!

I have also found that with all my glazes, my finished jewelry made in the earth tones sells best. That and Deep Amethyst Purples.

I will try to take more scans tomorrow...

Nonie
12-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Melanie, I think your work is outstanding. I love your show and tells.

earthenwood
12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Nonie, Thank you so much!

Gaea, here is a picture for you...
It is the same glaze wipe off technique applies to my button links and charms. I have only done the white porcelain with the black glaze, just to try it out...and I love it! It is particularly nice with the buttons because they are so detailed. Now I want to experiment with other glazes, and with colored clays!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2003/27951-bWbead.jpg

NYCindy
12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Gaea,

I'm giggling over your "WHEEEEE" - I love it! My favorite is YIPPPEEEE - hmmmm you change your middle name to WHEEEE and I'll change mine to YIPPEEEE! Deal? :-)

WHHEEEE and YIPPEEEE I love the ceramic beads! :-)

Cindy