PDA

View Full Version : crash and burn: how art survives

Alachua Artist
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
I'm out of commission for a while - was in a motorcycle accident and broke my arm (the dominant one, of course). So I am busy re-learning life for the next 8 weeks. Painting will come next. Drawing will be interesting at the least. Learning fine motor control of my non-dominant hand is almost an insane challenge.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

I'm thinking of hosting a project called The Left Hand of God where the only art entered would be created by using ONLY your non-dominant hand - for me, that is my left hand. At times, it can be humorous.. others, it's downright frustrating and crying jags result... which makes blowing one's nose a ridiculous event.

Try putting a bra on! :crying:

Please share how you coped.

gillyvu
12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't personally know what you are going through, but a close friend of mine broke two bones inher arms, and burst a few veins. She had to work with her non dominant hand for quite a while, and the fact she is in highschool she has weekly art assignements. So, she had to draw some details pictures, as well as paint a large landscape. She was very slow, and coloring with pencil crayons was near impossible. It was much easier using acrylics.And the fact she prefers doing abstract was a helpful excuse. So, I can tell you to work at it, and maybe explore new forms of art, or mediums. Oh ya, when you're arm is recovering don't attempt playing volleyball, it really doesn't help.
Get better soon, and I love your idea with the left handed/alternate hand club. Maybe start a project? It could be very interesting, and really give a new perspective on art.

Toadie
12-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Bummer really glad your still with us. You am now find out what your other hand arm can create out of no choice.
I do hope you re-cooperate quickly
Michelle

Cathy Morgan
12-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Sorry this happened to you!

When I broke my elbow (dominant hand) it took a long time before I could forge with it. (I do iron sculpture so hammering is part of the process.) The bones had to be set with wires, then after the bones knit, the wires came out - then more healing and a lot of rehab work to get some flexion and extension back. Then more time to get some strength back. Still can't straighten out my arm completely, or touch my shoulder (a couple of years later.) I did a fair amount of "free drawing" with my left hand and was surprised that the drawings seemed more spontaneously harmonious than my usual free drawings with right hand.

There was a thread on this recently - maybe a search will turn it up - on what to do while the dominant hand/wrist/arm heals. Lots of good suggestions.

Alachua Artist
12-10-2003, 08:54 AM
thank you for sharing your experiences. The pain and suffering of such tramatic injuries is compounded by the inability to create art. And the recovery time once you are prounced "healed" can be as frustrating. Hope springs eternal... but the drive to paint and draw and sculpt and create art is far stronger.

Thank God.

oh yes - volleyball is out!

Eugene Veszely
12-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Sorr yot hear that :(

I hope you can learn something by creating with your other arm :)

Keith Russell
12-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident.

May you have a speedy and full recovery...

Best wishes,

K

mad_hatter62
12-13-2003, 08:05 PM
In the late 80's I had a finger crushed in a printing press (I work as a commercial printer). My biggest concern was how it was going to effect my art. Thankfully my worries were unfounded. But I did try to work with my other hand while I was recovering. I was able to produce some really relaxed images that the details were very abstract and distorted. I liked some of the results so much that I started working at it with my dominate hand when it healed. Take the opprotunity to do things you wouldn't have tried. Realize that it's a learning opt and go for it....have fun...

hope you heal soon,

faepixiedustmagic
07-22-2006, 02:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------