PDA

View Full Version : Help with auction title, please

TurtleKiss
12-09-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't list too many pieces of my own art, as I'm usually too busy listing auctions for Koopa. I finally finished a painting I started this spring and I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it. It has very low hits (listed in 2 categories) and (according to Sellathon) 80% of the viewers searched for "spores", which apparently you can buy and sell on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643889059&category=20158&rd=1

Do I stand a chance of selling this painting? Would anyone ever put this on their walls? Any suggestions for a better title? I have only listed (and actually sold, to my surprise) two of my own paintings before. Those were both on much smaller canvases...one was my first attempt at a nude. Anyone have any suggestions?

Salairawns
12-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Not an expert, my observations.

Spores and Insignificance, both give me a negative feeling.
When I look at the painting, I like it. It's bold and interesting. It brings to mind for me, pollination, dandelion tufts, flower type stuff. I like the swirls. But the words applied to it don't feel good to me.
Maybe you could rename it? Since paintings are so personal, that's up to you. But you might try describing it as a floral, maybe with some of the above examples.
If you keep it the way it is, I would change the Title area to "Large Original Abstract Art Painting NR" or somethign like that.
If you decide to change the description, perhaps "Large Abstract Flower, etc"
Views have been poor for many, even on Featured items. Good luck :)
Celena

ElizaLeahy
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
SPORES! Unique Original ABSTRACT Painting NR!

LARGE Surreal Abstract Original Art Painting 4WC NR

That won't all fit so when you get to the bit where it WON'T fit, leave out the shorter words until it does fit.

Put it under the category of "landscapes" because you have "abstract" in your title.

If you wanted to spend the extra on a subtitle put in the size for sure, and you might also mention that you are Koopa's slave.

You could even write a funny story about how Koopa is teaching you to paint. Or how you finally convinced him into letting you do a painting in his spare time - etc.

And I'd leave out any mention of mold! Make it an alian landscape instead :)

arlene
12-09-2003, 04:17 PM
yes everything in your auction should be positive...insignificance is a negative term...

also spores reminds me of mold...

how's this instead?

SURREAL FLORAL ABSTRACT PAINTING ART NR!

TeAnne
12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
What Eliza and Arlene said.

Please don't say mold. lolol

I love this painting and you are showing heaps of it but it is taking a very long time to open. I'm on cable............

I would make this the gallery pic as the one you are showing has a lot of glare. (Show it but not as the main pic.)
This one :) http://www.turtlekiss.com/spores_026.jpg
Good luck :)

pampe
12-09-2003, 07:04 PM
My Critique:

Title is not something people are searching

Photo takes too long to load even on DSL

Photo needs to be taken straight one and cropped nicely....no floor showing

Is it gallery wrapped canvas...that helps

Maybe the starting bid is too high

TurtleKiss
12-09-2003, 07:32 PM
OK, I took everyone's advice and changed just about everything...the only thing I can't do is take a better photo because I stupidly used full gloss varnish before taking the photos. I can't photograph outside because of the snow. The listing now reads "SURREAL FLORAL ABSTRACT PAINTING ART NR!" I put it in the landscape category, changed the gallery pic, and retitled the painting as "Entropy" (still negative but I doubt most people will know that). I also changed the description a little, mentioned Koopa and erased any mention of mold of spores. I'll leave it up to the viewer to decide what the subject of the painting actually is LOL.
Is anyone else having problems with load time? I'm on DSL and the page loads very fast for me. Just want to make sure before I remove any pictures. Thanks to all who helped!

Ivyleaf
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
I am on cable, no problems with the download time here.

Best of luck with the auction!

:) :) :)
Ivy

TeAnne
12-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by TurtleKiss
OK,
Is anyone else having problems with load time? I'm on DSL and the page loads very fast for me. Just want to make sure before I remove any pictures. Thanks to all who helped!

Yep, much better gallery pic too :D . I cleaned my cache so that if wouldn't have your paintings in the history and it's still taking a long time to get to my pc in Australia on cable.

surreal
12-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Hi,
I need to add my 2 cents.
;)

I think that the title should be:

"Outsider Art Surreal Abstract Painting"

Even though you intend this piece to be a floral, it doesn't look like what the general expectation for a floral is. That's why I would leave "floral" out of the title.

It definitely falls into the "Outsider Art" category and this term is widely searched.

:)

dawningart
12-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi!
I like your work. It makes me think of words like fun, colorful, and playful. Floral isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. Also, if you do not have access to a program like Photoshop, maybe buy a large piece of black material to put your work on for the photo shoot.:cool:

SunshineyChelle
12-10-2003, 11:02 PM
What is outsider art????

:o

Thanks,
Michelle

arlene
12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
no wonder it's taking so long to load...the darn thing is 521,000+ kb...that's huge! it should be under 50,000 max. anotherwords your main picture is 10x what it should be...

someone on a phone line will give up after five minutes.