PDA

View Full Version : How do I paint a rainbow?

Darlene
10-13-2000, 10:14 AM
I have searched through the lessons and haven't found anything that will help me. Can someone please, please, please give this beginner some tips on how to paint a rainbow?

Rod
10-13-2000, 02:52 PM
The trick is to get the paper at the correct dampness so the paint is controllable yet will have soft edges. Normally just as the shine goes off the paper is the correct moment. For full control , i would do one band of colour at a time, damen the paper and apply the first band, have some kitchen towel roll or blotting paper ready to lift if paint goes too wide, and a separate brush damp with clear water to correct the edges. Then allow to completely dry. Dampen the paper again and apply second band of colour using the same proceedure. Between each band the paper must dry completely and then dampen lightly with a soft mop brush so the paint will not be disturbed. Practice on some scrap paper of the same type that you will be using for the painting,
Rod

------------------
Rodzart from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rodzart/)

VictoriaS
10-13-2000, 03:46 PM
Of course, Rod's suggestion is much better than mine. You should let the paper dry between applications of color.

oleCC
10-13-2000, 08:08 PM
Hey Victoria... think you both (you and Rod) have it right. I like to use both methods for soft blended edges. As for the colors, I would suggest soft pinks,lavender,blues and even some yellow. Yellow would be best applied next to the pinks, not the blues.
Sounds like you are having fun Darlene..hope to see your finished work. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

waterwings
10-13-2000, 09:31 PM
Here's something different to try--think I first heard of it in a children's art book.
Take a wide flat brush--as wide as you want the rainbow to be. Dampen the brush, and paint the bands of color one at a time right on the brush, then go ahead and paint your rainbow with that brush--damp paper would probably be best (dried to point described in the above posts). You get the rainbow all in one swoop, soft blended edges and all!

VictoriaS
10-14-2000, 12:04 AM
I haven't done it, but I think I would put clear water on the paper in the form of the rainbow, wait a few minutes until the paper is still damp but not so wet that you have no control, and then put the colored stripes in one at a time (starting with the lightest), just laying them next to each other. If the paper is at the correct state of dampness, the edge of each color should just blend in with the adjacent color without covering it.

Anybody else? Would this be the right way?

Darlene
10-14-2000, 12:09 AM
Maybe it is as simple as that - maybe I am just making it more difficult than it needs to be. Can anyone help with color choices?

billyg
10-14-2000, 02:47 AM
Hey darlene,
While you are doing all this nerve racking stuff you have Cilla Black playing on the tape singing "I can sing a rainbow " and you'll feel fine.
Billyg

Darlene
10-16-2000, 08:42 AM
Thanks to all of you for your tips. I have a full sheet painting in mind - as in not started yet - and need to incorporate a rainbow. If and when I get it finished I'll take a picture of it for posting since it will be too big to scan. If I run into trouble while I'm doing it I'll be posting again looking for help. Thanks again!