PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Street

wolvenp
12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2003/30122_first_set_006.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fourth Street
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 x 40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
from photo

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Can sky be improved? How? The photo is bleached out like this. It is hard for me to invent a sky.

pero lane
12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
This is really nice!! Looks like a gloomy, rainy day in the city! I'd darken the sky and background and you've got a winner!:)

mcknight
12-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Very interesting image. Lots of tension due to the anticipation of a crash. Is the painting supposed to be this blurry? I actually think the bright sky helps give this impact - it's as though one more step and the bright sky is all you'll see.

ordie4
12-09-2003, 12:34 PM
i kinda agree with mCk.
i like the brightness of
the sky as is...

this, to me, looks as if it
would be a very difficult
painting to render. i think
you did it wonderfully.

Creeper
12-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi wolvenp,

I like the story this painting tells. my first thoughts were, Oh this poor guy....but then i saw that the car is on the double yellow line and i thought...the guy is being run down on purpose...kind of a freak out when you really look at it. either that or its the headlights....see, there is alot to think about here. As for the sky, i dont know if i would do anymore to it....the entire painting has a somewhat creepy effect just like it stands now.
IMHO
Creeper

Spyderbabe
12-09-2003, 01:17 PM
The only things I MIGHT consider changing is 1. to darken the shadows of the man's legs since the headlights are shinning right on him and 2.what is the dark horizontal ontop of the bus? I'm loosing the umbrella in it.
Very nice piece.

mckittre
12-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Nice.

The sky looks fine as it is, to me.

There's an interesting conflict between the calmness of the scene and the seemingly impending accident.

my eyes keep trying to focus away the blur, but I think that it's an interesting effect.

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2003, 01:52 PM
like the sky .. like the piece .. like the story

.. too many dumb people are walking where they shouldn't be walking when they shouldn't be walking .. commen sense says if there is a car coming and you are not in a crosswalk .. stay the heck off the street.

wolvenp
12-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Dave, you may be right on the sky. I will try a darker one, or a colorful(somewhat) one to see for sure.
I didnt intend to say he is being run over; I should indicate a crosswalk.

Spyder, you are right about the shadows. That is another crosswalk; i should adjust that so it "reads."

I work in a part of Cinti (not the one in the painting) where people disregard the rules of traffic-you pretend the cars are not there when you cross. It is, I guess, an act of defiance!

A sign of courage!

thanks to all!
ps. this is being inputted at a cyber cafe. This mac keyboard is driving me nuts!

billiam
12-09-2003, 03:40 PM
it's as though you are looking out a blurred window from the opposite direction,surreal as to everything. even the ups truck. maybe the sky could be changed, or it could be the sun has popped out in the background. i would leave well enough alone, it has a good convenience of the scene. bill

giniaad
12-09-2003, 04:11 PM
I vote for keeping the sky as it is...
a gray day...
and everything around it...
fits into the gray day...
the blur is wonderful too...

great as is...(imho)

Dana Design
12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
I love this! Love the blurry effect you've gotten. How do you do that? Lots of blending of edges?

Good work!
Dana

mattlart
12-09-2003, 06:26 PM
I've got to agree.........; This is VERY appealing.

It seems as though there would be two equally effective versions of this painting.......

As is;...I like the warmth and simplicity of the sky. My thought is: "if it ain't broke,..don't fix it":)
The light sky really doesn't create a real tension in my mind's eye.
Rather,...it signals the near end of the rainfall.

If you were to darken,.......and transform the sky to a moody,..threatening gray;..it could certainly be effective and appropriate;..but a different painting altogether,..emotionally speaking.

Another version of this same scene would involve some creative cropping;
perhaps from the top,..at bridge-level.
Doesn't seem that a crop is necessary to create a BETTER painting here;..so why not leave great-enough alone?;)

A fine piece of work;..and beautifully blurrrrred! Best Wishes,-S