PDA

View Full Version : Morning cares

Matt Sammekull
12-09-2003, 08:00 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2003/15549_15549-on_the_easel.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/15549-detail.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Morning cares
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x16 (50x40cm)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from a drawing I did a while back, trying to stay loose in my brushwork. Inspired by the great Anders Zorn (no surprise huh?) and mr Scott Mattlin.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments are always welcome!

giniaad
12-09-2003, 09:44 AM
love her back side in the light
and the flesh tone variations
nice and rich
nice composition/nice flow

the only areas I would like to see
developed a little better
are her right breast in morror(under shadow seems high)
and her mouth/chin area

her form standing there is really great
her reflected form is wonderful to
(except for mensioned things)

I really like this

xvallarta
12-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I would correct the breasts and the left leg. The image in the mirror does not match the position of the leg on the girl. Either one or the other is drawn in error.

myles

jerryW
12-09-2003, 08:51 PM
I like this at first glance
I would mess it up a bit so that
detail examination
is forfeit in favour of a prolonged first glance.

i.e. break up the sharp edge of mirror frame
and other distracting continuities of reality

flax99
12-10-2003, 01:35 AM
This is lovely!

You've really got the loose brushwork down. I'm especially enthralled by the delicious velvety background, and of course those wonderful stripes of sunlight across her back! I really love the skintones you've achieved, and a really believable roundness of form. She's definitely standing there.

I only have a couple of nitpicks. I just read about what Jack Hines called a "nervous spot" in a critique in the Artist's Magazine (Jan 2004 issue). That's where two separate objects' outlines just touch, even though one object is supposed to be in front of the other. The young lady's left breast and the mirror frame form a "nervous spot" which could be relieved by either overlapping them or separating them. Even just a little overlap would do it.

My other nit is that the reflection's head seems tilted, but the girl with her back to us seems to have her head upright.

I think this is a marvelous painting-- these are just nitpicks.

flax99

mattlart
12-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Greetings Matt!

Yes,...the sunlight sreaming across her back, shoulders, hair, and thigh is delicious,..and well-described.

I really like the use of the large ;..full-lengh mirror that you've chosen...AND,..I know that,..depending on the angle of the subject;..and the viewer's relation to them,...; all is always not as it would appear,....in mirror reflections!;)

A couple of suggestions,..if I may:

I believe that the 'environment' that you've placed her in could be made more interesting (and appealing) by breaking and "losing" some of that dark division between wall-and-floor,..as well as.,..perhaps;..adding either suggested objects within the room,..in a very abstracted manner;..or, perhaps,created a bit more unusual surface textures within the room.......

Lovely,.....with changes, or without. Best Wishes,-Scott

Rosic
12-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Hey friend!
I can see why you would gain inspiration from Scott's style...
I gain inspiration from both Scott and you!
Bern

PS... Some good points have already been made that will carry this one to top-notch status!

Tell Willie I said "Hey".

Matt Sammekull
12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
and thanks for your great input! It never cease to amaze me, - how much I can pick up at this place.

Working on the painting as we speak, I'm changing some areas... quite a few actually.

Hi Bern!!!!! I'll do so.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post an up-date a.s.a.p

//matt

Matt Sammekull
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
A bad bad photograph, but it will do for now. I took Scott's advise (Thanks Scott!!) and added a chair to the room.
I also changed the colors of the wall.

I have yet to re-do the mirror reflection of the girl, which I will.

//matt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2003/15549-update.jpg

sunnyG
12-15-2003, 12:28 AM
When you were painting the first time was the light reflecting off the mirror and illuminating the white sheet in the foreground? The new version is missing the cool lighting on the white sheet.
It feels like the lighting was enhanced other areas of the new painting. The sun light on the woman is radiating more light in the recent painting. I like it. She looks like her skin is rosy from the cold air, but the caressing sun light lends her a warm fresh appeal.