PDA

View Full Version : Mixed media on bark paper

carobusquets
07-25-2001, 11:47 AM
Hi everybody, I need some help!

I just finished two mixed media works on bark paper. I worked with watercolors, pastels and colored pencil and used workable fixative at various stages and at the end. I just sprayed the back of the paintings with an acrylic clear coating, 'cause I figured that these are very fragile and I want them to last.
Now I want to start my next painting, but I would like to take care of the fragility issue. I really want to keep the bark paper untouched on the front, because I love the texture and I leave some areas of it showing.
I think I'm going to try preparing it as if it were a canvas, except I'll be painting the back side (unprepared side).

Will this work? Does anybody have any other ideas for my next work on this kind of paper?

Trish Booth
07-25-2001, 08:02 PM
Hi,

You might try mounting your paper on canvas or board prior to working on your next piece. Or after you are finished.

I did a huge piece on mulberry paper coated with amber shellac (looks like rawhide then) but when I finished I realized it was much too fragile to hang. I mounted it on unstretched canvas. The glue (YES paste) caused the canvas to shrink giving me wrinkles (so shrink the canvas in the washing machine and dryer first, start with a larger piece than you need by several inches each way) In my case this 'happy accident' added to the character of the work.

You can see this one here:
http://www.artgrrlz.com/art.gallery/gallery1.html

Do you have a photo of these works? I'd love to see them.

Good Luck!!
Trish

carobusquets
07-25-2001, 10:25 PM
Wow Trish, I love your artwork! And I see what you mean about the wrinkles, it definitely adds to the whole feeling of it.
I agree with you about mounting them. The finished ones I'll probably mount on board now and for the next ones I'll start with that.
I just lent my digital camera to a friend, but I'm getting it back tomorrow and I'll post them (if I can figure out how in the world to get my pictures up here, 'cause I've never tried that before )
;)

Thanks for your answer and much appreciated advise.
Carolina.

Trish Booth
07-26-2001, 01:37 PM
Thank you for the kind words! And glad to be of assistance!

sassybird
07-27-2001, 08:46 AM
Trish,

I have worked on bark paper before also. I got mine from Mexico and found that the region depicted the fragility of the paper. I did not mount mine in the traditional sense, but used photographers corners like I do with my fine art prints. The corners are archival so you don't have to worry about discoloration later in the years.

carobusquets
07-27-2001, 07:14 PM
Hi Trish and Sassybird!

Ok, I feel very computer savvy and a little gutsy, too. I just posted these two works in the pastel critique forum. Hope you take a look and give me some feedback.
Oh, and I'm already starting on the next one... I'll tell you how it everything goes.

Carolina.

Leaflin
08-04-2001, 08:03 PM
Carolina
Loved your work in the pastel forum. :)

carobusquets
08-05-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks Leaflin!
I appreciate the feedback.

Carolina.