View Full Version : redplum

rsmak
07-25-2001, 03:03 AM
please critique,thanks
rosanna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2001/redplum.jpg

mclaughlin
07-25-2001, 04:56 AM
splitting hairs about "wrong lines" distracts from the overall picture. I'd never do that. It's a bore. Our eyes need to learn THEIR lesson.

To me your picture looks like a wonderful piece of nature. A peaceful scene caught on paper.
:clap: :clap:

jerryW
07-25-2001, 07:41 AM
it has good movement and pleasing color.

rsmak
07-25-2001, 12:08 PM
thanks,mclaughlin.

thanks,jerry.

rosnna

ArtyHelen
07-25-2001, 12:19 PM
Wonderful, well-balanced and very pretty, rosanna!
Well done!

Helen

henrik
07-25-2001, 12:39 PM
rosanna,
this and also the other recent posts are delightful and really fine. My only comment (you know what I am going to say.... right?) is about breathing space and perfectly boxing the subject in. The overall impression will be soo much better if you compose the subject in relationship to the paper/canvas frame rather than trying to fill the entire area.

As an excersise try focusing on the negative spaces and the abstract composition made up by these.

rsmak
07-25-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
Wonderful, well-balanced and very pretty, rosanna!
Well done!

Helen

thanks,helen.
rosanna

rsmak
07-25-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by henrik
rosanna,
this and also the other recent posts are delightful and really fine. My only comment (you know what I am going to say.... right?) is about breathing space and perfectly boxing the subject in. The overall impression will be soo much better if you compose the subject in relationship to the paper/canvas frame rather than trying to fill the entire area.

As an excersise try focusing on the negative spaces and the abstract composition made up by these.

thanks,henrik,I try to remember that.
rosanna

henrik
07-25-2001, 02:26 PM
I played around with the image - and came up with two variations...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2001/redplum-hl1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2001/redplum-hl2.jpg

As you can see I also made som other minor adjustments. Most noticably perhaps is that I made the branches lighter to pop the bird.

rsmak
07-25-2001, 02:30 PM
thanks,henrik,your are a good sport.
rosanna

ZOTMA
07-25-2001, 03:26 PM
Henrik nailed it for me.
I opened this a few times to look each time saying 'this is nice' but something, something was....???
Didn't offer critique because I didn't contain it. Henrik has good advice here, your picture is well done and creating interesting composition will put it in a new class.

rsmak
07-25-2001, 03:30 PM
thanks,zotma.
rosanna

Ladysue
07-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Yup! I agree. Think ZEN....lots of empty spaces.
By the way, You totaly nail the colors each time! This can easily look too red or too orange.
Good work!

rsmak
07-25-2001, 06:20 PM
thanks,ladysue
rosanna

Impulse
07-25-2001, 10:44 PM
really excellent rosanna

you have carried your
recent adventures with colour
into an oriental piece

wonderful result

i am very pleased

i can see henrik's point too

but i am very happy with
your work

rsmak
07-25-2001, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Impulse
really excellent rosanna

you have carried your
recent adventures with colour
into an oriental piece

wonderful result

i am very pleased

i can see henrik's point too

but i am very happy with
your work

thanks,Impulse.
rosaanna

SDavy
07-26-2001, 01:44 AM
Reminds me of many Chinese paintings. I think its lovely...
I guess they're right about the boxed in, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

rsmak
07-26-2001, 01:47 AM
thanks,SDavy.
rosanna

Masterartworks
07-26-2001, 03:49 PM
I like the lose handling of the blossoms.

Besides the compositional suggestions, there are only two things that bother me.
One is the black color is a bit intense, it jumps out at us, because it is too dark in relationship with the other color values. Maybe if you add a few stronger washes of dark reds on a few of the blossoms, it will help. The other thing is that the breast of the bird needs to have contrast to the background in some way, so it isn't lost. Change the value, temperature, or color.

Your painting has a nice Oriental feel, Rosanne.

Lei

Fagan
07-26-2001, 04:00 PM
I like the way you have it now Rosanna! It says "Rosanna" when you first view it. I like the way you have the branch curve up to meet the bird. *SMILE*

rsmak
07-26-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Masterartworks
I like the lose handling of the blossoms.

Besides the compositional suggestions, there are only two things that bother me.
One is the black color is a bit intense, it jumps out at us, because it is too dark in relationship with the other color values. Maybe if you add a few stronger washes of dark reds on a few of the blossoms, it will help. The other thing is that the breast of the bird needs to have contrast to the background in some way, so it isn't lost. Change the value, temperature, or color.

Your painting has a nice Oriental feel, Rosanne.

Lei
thanks,masterartworks.
thanks for the suggestion,I will consider that.
rosanna

rsmak
07-26-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Fagan
I like the way you have it now Rosanna! It says "Rosanna" when you first view it. I like the way you have the branch curve up to meet the bird. *SMILE*

thanks, beveerly,you make my day! I appreciate that.

rosanna:)

ayzia
07-26-2001, 11:05 PM
hi rosanna,
the thick branch somewhat parallel to the bird is like a string of chinese characters and goes very well with the overall theme. the emphasis on the grace and movement of trunks and branches of trees/plants characterizes oriental art and it is harmonized with every element in the painting. i love your work rosanna.

rsmak
07-26-2001, 11:15 PM
thanks ,aysia. I like you tiny head,beautiful!
rosanna