PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon oil...market feasiblity?

clearlight
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone!

I have been reading these posts for the last couple months with great interest. So good to have experienced ebay market advice.

I am thinking of test marketing my small 8x10 oil paintings of the Grand Canyon..[I live at the Rim]...and wonder if there is a category to be recommended. My idea was to start bidding at $9.99 with a reserve? I hope to get around 300-400 [with gold frame].....is this totally unrealistic given the current market? Also...would a FP category be better? There should be a collector base for Grand Canyon art somewhere.....??

I have never sold anything over ebay...only spent money!

Below is one of my paintings I am considering.

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Yay, I like this :D
Did you do a search on ebay for similar? Someone who is more familliar with the US sites will come along soon to help :)

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 06:48 PM
The painting is wonderful, but if you have no feedback on ebay and no following you are probably not going to get anywhere near that sort of money.

Some of the top ebay sellers, including Girelli and our own Rita don't get that sort of money.

Would you consider selling it unframed for less?

SunshineyChelle
12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Also, unless you have a feedback rating over 10, you can't FP anything... right? But, you said you've bought on eBay, so that may not be an issue.

Great painting, by the way. Would love to see some photographs of the view from your home!

Michelle

clearlight
12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Yes...I would sell it for less without the frame....I had read somewhere that framed paintings were easier to sell..?

It certainly would be easier to ship! Just use a priority mailer with some kind of padding?

I will probably try sooner or later...just out of curiousity javascript:smilie(':cat:')

arteitaliana
12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
This is not a good time to list anything in my opinion.
The painting is good but I would list it without a frame.
$300-400 is very unrealistic for a painting that small and without a large client's base. It could get around $100 with a bit of luck.( I hope I am wrong and it gets much more!). You will need to list it as an FP and hope for the best. If you put a high reserve on it and disclose it in the description, bids will be fewer if any.
Sorry...ebay is not a gallery....it's hard work, a lot of specific market knowledge and a great deal of perseverance.

clearlight
12-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks Rita....maybe I will wait until after New Year's. KM

arlene
12-08-2003, 09:37 PM
KM very few people sell 8 x 10's for more then 100. I know i wasn't.

pampe
12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi and WELCOME

I agreee with Rita

It's a charming piece but your chances of getting over $100 are pretty slim right now

Take some time, do your homeowrk and try it after the holidays.

Pam

arlene
12-08-2003, 11:50 PM
do you have a following? have you sold much before? are you in a gallery(s)?

Alan Cross
12-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Its very nice and you know I would list it unframed....you might get a few more bids as it will only be for the art and not the frame. Good luck with it.
Alan :)