PDA

View Full Version : new to Wetcanvas

2tervs4us
12-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi, I am new to the site and posted a short intro in the Animal forum. k9artist is the person who recommended the wetcanvas site; I had never heard of it. My husband is the artist, he is self taught and after not doing anything for 20 years he decided about a month ago he was going to do some nudes (first attempt at people!). He finished this Anadulsian horse over the weekend. He uses soft pastels on velour paper. I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the beautiful artwork! We have Friesian horses and the little icon by my name is our two Belgian Tervuren dogs, Maggie and Gunner.

Dark_Shades
12-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the forum........... the horse is totally Stunning........

look forward to seeing more

CarlyHardy
12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Welcome to both of you!
This painting is just beautiful! A 20 year absence from painting doesn't seem to have dulled your husband's skills as an artist. We're all looking forward to hearing more from "you two"!
carly

Deborah Secor
12-08-2003, 07:54 PM
This is really beautifully done. Welcome...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2003, 08:51 PM
My jaw is on the ground . . . after a 20 year absence, this is absolutely wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing lots more!

k9artist
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Lesa!! Glad you could join us!! I am velour papers biggest fan!! And your husbands!! LOL This is sooo gorgeous! Tell him there better be more!
Dana

Dyin
12-08-2003, 10:13 PM
This is not only beautiful, it's powerful. I think portraiture, human or animal, is about capturing the spirit within...and this really captures the intelligence and pride of a horse in its prime years...looking towards more, must be a few itching to get out after a 20 year hiatus!

Stoy Jones
12-08-2003, 10:30 PM
I agree, 20 years didn't affect his skill as it would most people. This is most excellent and I certainly looking forward to seeing more and...Welcome!! :)

Stoy

Mz_Sketch_Pad
12-08-2003, 11:16 PM
this is amazing!! welcome!!

2tervs4us
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post a welcome and a compliment on the painting. He was amazed when I showed them to him last night! I am hoping they will motivate him to keep going. I will post a couple of nudes that he has done, they are in good taste :) I have loved and collected wildlife art, so I would prefer if he stuck to animals, but he seems to want to paint naked women :). He did the horse to put on Ebay to see if it would bring more than the 3 nudes he has sold there. (I think it will!). Thanks for making me feel welcome! Lesa
P.S. I apologize for my misspelling of Andalusian in my original post!

sceper
12-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I suppose this question probably merits a new thread or a search through the archives, but this painting illustrates my dilemma perfectly.
First of all, it's incredible. It's also inspiring.

I am primarily an oil painter, but have tried pastels with little success. The main problem is one of detail. The detail in the painting shown here is amazing, but when I work with pastels I feel like I'm painting with a house brush. The pastel sticks just seem too unwieldly for me. I can get the large shapes but lose it when I get to the details.

I imagine it's largely a matter of practice and patience, but can anyone give me any pointers or suggest some good books on pastels?

Thanks,

ExpressiveAngie
12-09-2003, 11:43 AM
That is the most wow! horse painting I think I have ever seen...

kimo
12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Wow!! This horse painting is absolutely stunning! Amazing that he has been on a 20 year hiatus!! Can't wait to see more!!

Sceper - have you tried pastel pencils? Or if you buy one of those industrial files at the hardware store for filing metal, I find you can really sharpen hard pastel sticks to a nice point for getting detail. Also, check into color shapers for creating detail.

Personally, I'm definitely no expert in pastels as I have only recently started dabbling with them. But if you want to see some awesome detail with pastels, check out posts and articles here at wetcanvas done by Gaka.

Rosic
12-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the both of you. I look forward to getting to know you and seeing your artwork. I can identify with the 20 year break... mine lasted 15! LOL! You are going to find you are part of a family in this forum.

Rosic

PS... Beautiful painting of the horse... thought it was a reference photo at first.

jade fox
12-09-2003, 04:31 PM
You've captured in this portrait what I strive for in my photographs, EMOTION, MOOD, you can almost feel this fella!
Excellent!:cool:

Mo.
12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi and welcome to you and your very skilful artist husband, his work is beautiful and emotive, I hope you will share more of his work for us to enjoy.

Mo.:)

PegR
12-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Welcome to you and your husband! This is one of the nicest places on the 'net.

And that horse is just gorgeous--your husband has a wonderful touch!

Peg