PDA

View Full Version : misunderstanding

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I offered my mailing list a Christmas special on free postage on any STORE item.

One of my large nudes sold at auction for only $66.

She was a feature plus $23
Postage is $23
4 x 2 foot canvas + paint say $10+

And my customer says he wants the free postage offer.

I sent this email - what a mess.

Andy, I was a little afraid that there was some confusion about this, and I'm not sure what to do now.

As I said in my offer it was for any STORE item - not an auction item. Store items are fixed price. I can't afford to do this on auction items because, as was in this case, they often sell way under store prices. The painting you bought for $66 is going to cost me $20 to post. The listing on ebay cost $23 because it was a feature plus, and then there was materials and my time in doing it, not to mention the worth of the painting itself.

When I put a painting that size in my store I put a price of $150 on it, and because it's in the store I'm not paying Feature Plus ebay fees for it.

But if the only reason you bought the nude is because of the shipping offer, you don't have to buy it.

I'm sorry that this confusion took place, and I hope that you don't think that I was trying to rip you off in any way.

Let me know what you want to do.

arteitaliana
12-08-2003, 04:47 PM
You just needed to remind the person that the offer was for store items as clearly stated in you description (as hopefully it was).

R

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Yes, here is the bit from my offer.

For my repeat customers on this list I would like to offer FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the world between now and Christmas on any store item. Just let me know when you buy it and I'll adjust the price on the invoice

arteitaliana
12-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Then you have nothing to worry about.

This person is in bad faith or cannot read.

Antoine
12-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ElizaLeahy
...on any store item.

There are lots of people taking chances, maybe he is just trying to see if youíll fall for it. If this person is at all reasonable he would pay the shipping. Your side is clean.

imaginethat
12-08-2003, 06:14 PM
For buyers unfamiliar with the stores, they may not realize what's in the store and what's up for auction. When looking at "view seller's other items", all items show up - even the ones listed in the store only. AND, on the flip side, all items listed show up in your store, so it appears all items ARE store items. Even regular non-store listings can have BINs, so unless there is something to separate the regular listings from the store listings, I can understand his confusion. (I edited this to try to make more sense, but it still seems confusing to me! Hope I am making sense.)

Maybe you should put "Store Item" either in the title or in the subtitle so it's clear what is available with the free shipping. Hopefully he's a nice guy and all will turn out well.

surreal
12-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes, here is the bit from my offer.

For my repeat customers on this list I would like to offer FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the world between now and Christmas on any store item. Just let me know when you buy it and I'll adjust the price on the invoice

Hi Eliza,
I can see how other folk might make the same mistake as the customer you had the difficulty with, since our Stores include all of our items which are up for sale, including auction items.

Perhaps you might like to send out an "update" to your email message to all of your customers about your free shipping deal. Here's an example of a possible message you might send out: :)

Hi,
I may not have made my special offer of FREE SHIPPING perfectly clear. And if I didn't make it clear, I apologize to all of you!

My offer of FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the world between now and Christmas only applies to my STORE items, not my AUCTION items.

The above is only a suggestion.
If you don't like it, just know that I was trying to be helpful.
;)

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
The buyer sounds like he got confussed, :( Hope it works out in your favour Eliza.

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by surreal

Hi,
I may not have made my special offer of FREE SHIPPING perfectly clear. And if I didn't make it clear, I apologize to all of you!

My offer of FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the world between now and Christmas only applies to my STORE items, not my AUCTION items.

The above is only a suggestion.
If you don't like it, just know that I was trying to be helpful.
;) [/B]

I've already sent out something similar - and I think it went out before that auction ended, certainly it went out before I received an email from him.

prtpix
12-08-2003, 07:47 PM
I agree with what Susan said.
Especially for a customer that does not sell or have his own E-Bay store. It is really hard to know what a store item is and what is not. E-Bay also has listings that are Fixed Price listings.

When someone clicks on a link to your store, they see all of the listings you have. Not just your BIN items. It might have been a better idea to put the special offer on your BIN items.
I hope it works out OK for you.

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 10:36 PM
He understood and accepted my explaination and said that he loves the painting and wants to go through with the sale, so all ended well.

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 11:12 PM
He understood and accepted my explaination and said that he loves the painting and wants to go through with the sale, so all ended well.

Excellent news :D Congrats E :clap: :clap:

surreal
12-08-2003, 11:13 PM
That's terrific news, Eliza!:D

jolie
12-09-2003, 06:17 AM
That's great news, Eliza! I'm so glad it worked out. Despite the confusion, I still think your free shipping offer was a great idea and certainly could still result in some sales. I like the idea so much that I may consider trying something similar when I stock my store. Perhaps a grand opening sale kind of thing.

Before I consider anything though, I want to be sure I understand how to make sure buyers can tell the difference and avoid potential problems. I know that all a seller's items will show up in the store, but I don't understand how anyone could be confused. I have never bought a store item, but have purchased plenty of auction items. It makes sense that anything I had to place a bid on and wait to see if I had won is an auction style listing, therefore store stock. Is this only clear to me because I am a seasoned buyer?

Jolie

jocelynsart
12-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Eliza, maybe if you do the offer again you could say Fixed Price Items in lieu of Store Items.
Joss

Antoine
12-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Isnít in great to work with reasonable people?! Iím very glad that it worked out.

arlene
12-09-2003, 09:18 AM
i'm so glad eliza.