PDA

View Full Version : ALight4Kyle

ZOTMA
07-25-2001, 12:26 AM
I finished this monday morning (5:30am) in memory of a friend of mine that passed last week. It's 20"x24", oil on canvas. I won't come unglued if you critique it (that's why I'm posting it) as it might end up with his mom. I want it to be right. So fire away and thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/AliteK.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impulse
07-25-2001, 12:29 AM
sorry about your friend

this temple like structure
reaching to the heavens
larger than life
and imposing

friendly and protective

is a fitting tribute for any

i do not understand why
the light is at the bottom
and the dark is in the top
of the sky

magnificent

i always knew you are
this talented
and brilliant

Fagan
07-25-2001, 12:32 AM
Perfect as it is Zotma. It is a beautiful tribute.

jerryW
07-25-2001, 01:14 AM
It is monumental.
I want a bit more golden glow in the bright bits.
maybe it's the pic, maybe what I'm asking is wrong.
the geomety is beautiful.

Sandi
07-25-2001, 01:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Zotma.
This is a wonderful tribute, the parents will be very proud. Strong and forever reaching upwards into the stars, the heavens. A light in the darkest of journeys, darkest of lives.
Beautifully done.

Chuck
07-25-2001, 09:19 AM
Absolutely perfect as is. It is a true moment of Grace...BRAVA!

YLCIA
07-25-2001, 11:13 AM
Beautiful!sorry for your loss of friend.

JeanineJ
07-25-2001, 11:44 AM
My condolences...
This seems to mysteriously draw energy into it versus project any light... Monumental.

ftb
07-25-2001, 01:42 PM
This light house is a very strong image..very fitting sorry for your loss (death is the enemy of man)

Impulse
07-25-2001, 11:10 PM
if i hadn't just married you off to simon....

who knows.

beautiful work

everetto
07-25-2001, 11:25 PM
Zotma,

This is a very powerful and meditative painting. The polished, gem-like rendering is really amazing- Makes me think that Dali, in particular, would have been proud of such noble architecture.
I think that the strange lighting was a wonderful choice, adds that perfect degree of mystery that should accompany any work reflecting our mortality.

Also seems to be a great deal of symbolism; the windows, the forceful upward slant, and of course the subject itself- A lighthouse, yet no light. Alot to consider, but you have been very careful to minimize what you want us to see. I think I might be picking up on a conflict going on inside you- I guess I can see the other's view of hope, but I'm also seeing your personal struggle. I think this is much deeper and more contemplative than a 'tribute' and because of that very reason, makes this 'tribute' much more special and from the heart.

Ceu
07-25-2001, 11:36 PM
very beautiful and fitting to a friend that you lost, i'm sure that he or she is enjoying this painting. I would not change anything if I were you.

SDavy
07-26-2001, 01:12 AM
I too am sorry to hear- you must miss him(?) This painting is extraordinay- reaching into the sky-The angle is wonderful. It's truly perfect. I wouldn't chamge a thing either!

jheinrich
07-26-2001, 11:43 AM
I agree with everetto and his insightful comments.

the smoothness, the centeredness, the mystery, all are coming through beautifully ...

j*

dornberg
07-26-2001, 09:43 PM
this picture is very strong
in structure, dark light, color
if you were to add more colors, you might dilute some of this
strong effect

Wyobud
07-26-2001, 10:02 PM
Zotma.............Everetto so aptly expressed our feelings for you and your friend Kyle.

The sky may reflect your wondering on the hereafter. Perhaps a whisper of hope above would be comfort for his mother.

Well done........The world needs more friends like you

Bud

mame
07-26-2001, 10:31 PM
Super.

Next one - a tich off center?

ZOTMA
07-27-2001, 12:46 AM
Thank you all very much for your well wishes, art has made the whole thing easier for me and you guys have helped.

Mame; yes I broke a rule, I like to work off center (! too true) thanks, I'll be better next time

Wyobud, goll what a sweety, you get a hug for that
Dornberg, thanks and yes wanted to keep it cold
J*, thanks babe

SDavy, yeah I'll miss him and it was too long since I'd seen him last. It's that thing when you never know when the last time is going to be. Thanks for the comments.

Ceu, thanks and I think he'd dig it

everetto, your insightful words were almost as satisfying as painting this in the first place. Read it like a book (with only one page open of course). Smooch

Impulse, this seems to be a strong month for me in that regard (seems like everyone is a little randy here at WC), as far as your first response I would have you know it made me a bit misty since it was the first and I was nervous and all, beautiful thoughts, thanks

ftb, thank you (and yep)
Jeanine, wow interesting thought about absorbing, very cool.
YLCIA, thank you
Chuck, feels good when it happens, huh? thanks

Sandi, beautifully put and 'darkest of lives' was right on, he committed suicide. He was one of the sweetest most tender folks I knew so he brought light and was strong for everyone but himself.

JerryW, yeah I had the naples yellow out and ready on the palette but couldn't bring myself to it towards the end. good comments, thanks

Fagan, thank you dear.

I appreciate you all taking a look...warning gushy moment coming....what would I do without WC?! You all are great.
Zotma

TeAnne
07-27-2001, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by ZOTMA
I finished this monday morning (5:30am) in memory of a friend of mine that passed last week. It's 20"x24", oil on canvas. I won't come unglued if you critique it (that's why I'm posting it) as it might end up with his mom. I want it to be right. So fire away and thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/AliteK.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OMG It's fantastic. I nearly missed this one.

Victor
07-27-2001, 03:17 AM
This is beautifuly done and so unusual. :clap: :clap:

Vic

mclaughlin
07-27-2001, 07:23 AM
Your picture is outstanding in its beauty. Sorry about your friend.

Heimo

Ladysue
07-27-2001, 10:01 AM
I knew from the second you said it was a tribute that this was a tragical loss. And now that I read your comments, it confirms that aspect. I don't know how you managed to get this out onto the canvas and frankly I don't want to analize it either.

Sorry for your loss. Keep painting and taking care of yourself. THese kinds of events tend to touch the darkest corners of our hearts. It takes a while to step back into the light. But you sure are on the right track.

THe windows turned directly towards us but the light totaly gone, it gives me chills. Kind'a like hoplessness reaching for light and light reaching for hopelessness but just never touching each other.

Powerfull stuff! Keep painting you do an amazing job.

Robert
07-27-2001, 01:00 PM
This is awesomely strong. A very compassionate tribute. Thank you for posting it here.

Bob

ayzia
07-27-2001, 10:01 PM
hi ZOTMA,
i am so sorry about your friend. i had a friend who committed suicide a year ago. i just wish i knew he was in so much pain beneath the calm and cool exterior.

i am sure your friend's mom will love your painting. you are so talented.
ayzia