PDA

View Full Version : Brisk Salutations

giniaad
12-08-2003, 02:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2003/3127_WC_2D_BS.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2003/3127_WC_2D_BS_close.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2003/3127_WC_2D_BS_close_ggm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Brisk Salutations
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Clay
Dimension: 18 x 14 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
another from my grandfather's pictures.
lady on our left is my great grandmother (again...you may even recognise the same dress from a previous painting)
she is seated on her stoop with her neighbor. Visiting on a brisk sunny day...looks to be greeting a passer by...(not just a guy with a camera.)...I hope...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything need attension? How's it looking?

shirleyq
12-08-2003, 02:53 PM
It is looking GREAT! :)

jackiesimmonds
12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
I think that the draughtmanship is excellent, but I have some worries about the skin tones, particularly for the lady on the right. She looks VERY pale in the sunlit areas, and the shadow tones very grey. Of course, this may be a computer monitor effect, and your painting may have fleshier flesh tones...?

Sunlight on skin would warm the skin, not make it white, and this warm light would make the shadows cooler ... but the sunlit skin of her arm, for instance, is not very warm, in fact it is the same colour as her dress - ? - and the shadows, particularly on her dress, are so cool, the skin looks almost ashen.

I think it might be the result of a rather overexposed photo to work from, rather than any lack of observation on your part. It might help to look at a real person, sitting in sunlight, to observe the skin tones more closely.

J

giniaad
12-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Shirley~glad you think so...thanks...

J~monitors...they do vary a lot...viewing from my own monitor as opposed to my son's monitor resulted in completely different paintings.
I agree, in general, with your statements about flesh, light and shadow.
The lady on the right is paler than my great grandmother...so, she is a bit ashen. I wanted to emphasis the brightness of the day and have seen white on flesh on such a day...liberties, maybe, but for this, I thought it was ok, so I did use white for the brightest highlights which made her already pale flesh almost white in general.
Her dress is a light pink/peach...with the sun drenched day...her arm and dress are very similar.
I appreciate your input and your reply. I have attached a close up of the lady on the right...maybe it will look better for you now...maybe not...do keep in mind that this part is bigger than in the painting.
again, thanks for your reply and I will be looking in real life at these aspects for further study...

artbabe21
12-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Priceless paintings!! :)

Beautifully rendered! 'Sittin' on the stoop':D

mattlart
12-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Greetings Gini,

I'm thinking that you are absolutely right ..(in that,..aside from the fact that skin tones(and colors generally speaking,) read very differently on different monitors),..........; varying light conditions do sometimes give the perception of very white skintones.

And, I can see Jackiesimmon's point as well. Working from an overexposed reference photo could certainly produce that 'effect' as well.
I don't see it as a matter of 'correctness' or believability,..but simply personal preference.
Some prefer richer;..warmer skintones regardless of how they actually appear "in person".

If you were going for that truly intense,..brightly lit day;..you've nailed it..:)

What I am particularly impressed with are the facial expressions! You capture them as few artists are able......... they're so believable and expressive. What an accomplishment.

I love the skewed perspective of the window as well. It seems to lend character and a unique quality to this piece.

Bravo, Gini! Beautiful;..a real treasure. Best Wishes,-S

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I've seen the photo a thousand times looking through old picture albums as a kid .. this has a wondful nostalgic feel to it. The skin tones show light on my system but my mom is in her seventies and her flesh tones are very white with age so it's not beyond what could be. Great piece.

Paintonbrush
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I am in awe of your talent to portray the human spirit as you do...
:clap:

coulter
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Paintonbrush
I am in awe of your talent to portray the human spirit as you do...
:clap:

I'll say the same!!!! and add :clap: :clap:

Mark

giniaad
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Cath~thanks...bet Paris was grand!

Scott~I love to read your words...like you are right here talking. ...yeah...a very bright day (glad I nailed it)...perhaps I should retitle it "Bright Brisk Salutations".
Thank you for your fun to read, thoughtful and kind words...

Wayne~glad to take you down memory lane. You have a good point about the flesh of some older individuals too...Thanks much for your reply.

Diane~thanks...be doin' yours before too long...how's the picture taking going? Take lots of them! (different angles and perspectives.) I have a feeling that painting your spirit will be fun.

so, how does "Bright Brisk Salutations" sound?
too long? I thought that Brisk might imply the Bright because the cooler months have brighter sun when it is sunny...but maybe it isn't that obvious.

seeing bigger digitals makes me see little things to fix...will have to find a needle point to fix them though...eeek.

giniaad
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Mark~dual posting...thanks much...:D

pero lane
12-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by coulter

I'll say the same!!!! and add :clap: :clap:

Mark

And I'll raise you another...:clap: :clap: :clap: Wonderful!!!

mcknight
12-09-2003, 11:43 AM
A CLASSIC! These characters are familiar yet completely unique! My thoughts on these people are beyond words - this can only be expressed justly in the way you have painted this.

Rabbit Twilight
12-09-2003, 01:56 PM
I love these two women. They look so happy and content in the day. This was probably before women wore pants....and they sewed their dresses from a McCalls Pattern.
It look wonderful to me.

Gilberte
12-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm impressed by their faces, their hair and their dresses ... fabulous retro-style painting. (the lady in red's hand looks a bit too big IMHO, but I'm totally unqualified you know ;) )

giniaad
12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Pat~and I will raise you a Thank-You-Thank-You...

Dave~appreciating the seriousness of your studies and your feelings on such matters, your words speak volumes...Thanks!

Rabbitt~this picture was in all likely hood taken in the early 1920's or somewhere close to that time...I do think my great grandmother made the dress she is wearing...Thanks

Gilberte~you should see my hands...have to buy men's gloves unless I buy (and I don't) very expensive womans' gloves that go by numbered sizes, not small, medium, etc.
I come by them "naturally"...glad you like...

roberj
12-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Wonderful painting, very close to the heart. Brilliant fresh air and sunlight.

Bob

jerryW
12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by mcknight
A CLASSIC! These characters are familiar yet completely unique! My thoughts on these people are beyond words - this can only be expressed justly in the way you have painted this.
worth every moment of effort and admiration

giniaad
12-09-2003, 08:52 PM
roberj...Jerry...you warm my heart...and no words can express that well...Thanks from that most of special places :)

I raise a glass to you
and to them who have gone before us
cheers!

djstar
12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
I took a class in June from Ted Nuttall.
He raids yard sales and garage sales for odd and nostalgic snapshots and his very style is from that kodak brownie, or glass plate stiffness of the moment shimmering, not in the eye but in the heart.
From him I got a real revalation about using black and white photos to understand skin.... so much better than actual observation.

5 solid years in open studio, two or three human faces a week and I started freeing myself from copying into expressing.
The intention of your painting is so much more important than the approximation of reality.

I love your blues and grays in the skin. It shows a soul doing the painting, not the eye.

Your choices, with the title, make perfect sense and I would call the intention and execution successful.
It feels like the next minute someone will get up and put on their sweater. (...Stayed outside because they were craving the sunshine, but a little late in the season for the dresses they wear.)

I believe a feeling captured well, is so much more important than a correct skin tone.

YOU have no problem rendering flesh. Watching you post over the years proves you are masterful. It is the bravery of leaping beyond the observable to the mood or temperature or humidity or emotion or season of a painting that is exactly what happens when paint begins flowing in your blood, not just on the canvas.
dj*

capricorne
12-13-2003, 12:16 PM
lovely girls:)

mfoxmelanson
12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I missed this-It's all been said- I love the skin- The brightness is amazing-Great title- Great piece!

M.

giniaad
12-13-2003, 08:00 PM
...was doing a quick lurking...brother in town with surprise visit...no real time to reply...but!...another surprise!
(I am enjoying what I am seeing and hope to post to others' work asap)

dj~enjoyed reading your words and thoughts...looked into Ted's work...very nice, and lucky you to have worked with him. Funny, I always thought your realistically focused work is expressive as well. But, I understand the inner process and growth you are speaking of...good to understand them inwardly and for you to share them. Thanks for dropping me an enjoyable and possitive line...Here's to the infusion of paint into the brain, the blood, and the spirit and soul...after that, the canvas will have no choice...

M. and capricorne...glad you caught this, this time around and like it...and Thanks for saying so...much appreciated:)

Ceu
12-13-2003, 09:41 PM
I was looking at this the other and couldn't come up with something to say, but now i'm ready.

I love the work, and I think the colors are just right and that is because I do with with older people so the color works for me.

the only thing that I wonder, and the name of this is just right by the way. they are so distant from each other by not touching even thou they are posing next to one another. But at the same time some people do not like to be touched, and only a friend would know not to do that , and just sit next to their friend and just enjoy the company, picture being taken.
So after all this , does it make sense what i'm trying to say.
I hope.
Ceu

artinoils
12-14-2003, 05:03 AM
I looked at this several times with no time to comment.
I find myself drawn to these women...their postures and expressions speak volumes of their time. You've captured a moment of the past. Wonderful.
For some reason it makes me think of that old show "I Remember Mama" and tugs at my emotions in a similar way.

NuttnHunee
12-14-2003, 09:24 AM
No critique. I'm in awe of your talent, wow, what a gift you have.